Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I received a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, as a gift. I tried it with the anticipation that always accompanies the first taste of a new scotch. I thought that it was thin and watery with almost no fruit and definitely no peat, no oak, and no sherry. This is a scotch that I'm going to save for guests that are not particularly fans of scotch, but want to try one.

That's also the way I would see it. So in my opinion, Glenfiddich good and worth drinking, but not great. And what great is, will depend on the drinker. But any single malt to me is better than any blend, pretty much. Blends that come close, however, IMO are Chivas and Haig's Pinch. I've never had a super-expensive Johnny Walker though.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
currently Ardbeg 10 would have to be my favorite. I have been hearing some good things about Springbank and just picked up a bottle and am looking forward to try it on Thanksgiving with some friends.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Springbank scotch, never heard of it before your post. I just finished reading about the distillery and the scotch, and both sound very interesting. Now there is another scotch that I have to add to my list to try.

bulldog1935

Suspended
when were loading up the RV for NASCAR a few weeks ago, my buddy teased me with a bottle of 20-y-o BenRiach, trying to pass it off as the bottle I brought (possibly by leaving the liquor store with the wrong bottle)
116_BenRiach_WoodFinish_15_rum.png
30_BR_ClassicSpeysides_20_big.png

but the trip turned into a great chance to compare the two Scots
Both start with a great peaty nose. Both are infinitely smooth. If you like a long peaty finish, I recommend the 20-yo
But the dark rum cask finishes with a lingering hint of molasses. As I've mentioned before, the sweetness is a pleasant choice for cigar smokers.
My buddy was somewhat disheartened, liking my 15-y-o better than his 20-y-o

what floored us both was a half-and-half

Last edited:

m0nk

One Too Many
They just put out the gift sets of my favorite; The Glen Livet. The 12-year bottle comes with a sampler of a 15 and 18 all for $40.

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
I tend to enjoy whisky on the sweeter side of the scale.

My favourite regular drinking Scotch is The Belvenie Double Wood. I also like their other essences.

My other favourite is The Glenlivet 15, 18 and 21. Yummo!

(ooo my 100th post!)

I tend to enjoy whisky on the sweeter side of the scale.

My favourite regular drinking Scotch is The Belvenie Double Wood. I also like their other essences.

My other favourite is The Glenlivet 15, 18 and 21. Yummo!

(ooo my 100th post!)

Balvenie Double wood works for me too even though I can go out on a limb and take a dram of Ardbeg once in a while too. If you want a lighter scotch then try the Glenrothes offerings too. Balvenie also makes a Carribean Cask that is fairly light. I like the Double Wood better though. :cheers1:

DaveJH

New in Town
Hm, I'm a big Islay fan, so I'd say my favourite so far is Lagavulin 16. However, honourable mentions for Ardbeg and Laphroaig, too.

My favourite non-Islay so far is Macallan Fine Oak - a nice mellow dram.

WH1

Practically Family
Balvenie Double wood works for me too even though I can go out on a limb and take a dram of Ardbeg once in a while too. If you want a lighter scotch then try the Glenrothes offerings too. Balvenie also makes a Carribean Cask that is fairly light. I like the Double Wood better though. :cheers1:

+1 in a big way, the Double Wood is my favorite enjoying some now as a matter of fact!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if I enjoy it more than the Double Wood to pay more for it though.

Hi James

My old boss had a sign in his office saying, "Better is the enemy of good enough". I never liked that statement but it is true of many things. No point in paying extra for something you don't want or need. Who buys the world's best waste basket?? I need to get a bottle of Talisker, and a bottle of one of the Glens (livet or fiddich). I have a bottle of Laphroaig and a quart of Famous Grouse.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ