What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Chiliarches, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Talisker works for me too. I am always in the market for a better Scotch though. :p I must have about 40-50 expressions so I keep a fairly good selection on hand. :p
    Glenfarclas gets an honorable mention for delivering at a price that is much better than the equivalent of some of the bigger guys. So does McClelland's offerings.

2. Lotsahats

Lotsahats One Too Many

I have a bottle of the Laphroaig 18, and it's very pleasant with a small splash of water. Time over time, I'd agree with you, Dave: Lagavulin 16 is the way to go.

A

3. GoetzManor

GoetzManor Familiar Face

I'm completely new to the Scotch Whisky market, but I've always been interested in it. I recently purchased a bottle of Label 5. It's a blended whisky that's a bit toward the lower end of the scotches but it still goes down smoothly. Since I don't have the funds to purchase higher quality scotches at the current moment, would those in the know say this is a good starter or is it really not even bottom shelf worthy?

4. I never tried Label 5 before so I wouldn't know but if you want a reasonably priced single malt Scotch then go with a McClelland's expression. They are all around $20 a bottle or less and you can try all regions and figure out what kind of Scotch you like and buy up from there when you can afford it. They have Highland, Islay, Lowland and a Sherry Cask Highland that I never run into so I don't know if they are actually still making it. Word is that Glen Garioch and Bowmore provide McClelland's with their examples so you get a really good value even though it might be eight years old instead of ten or twelve.

5. gear-guy

gear-guy Practically Family

Ballantines for me. Although a bourbon fan with Irish whiskey being my favorite, a good scotch is always appreciated. Just wish I knew about scotch.

6. Ballantines tastes fairly good to me as well. That and it was Matt Helm's favorite. :p
    Tonight I had a small dram or Glenrothes 1998 and a Clontarf(Irish Whiskey). :cheers1:

7. furious

furious New in Town

These days it's either Teacher's or Black Bottle as regular pours with Macallan 18 and Glenfarclas 15 on special occasions. Also like Rye and Bourbon and have been known to keep around some Rittenhouse or Pikesville and the occasional Van Winkle in the liquor cabinet.

8. Greyfox

Greyfox One of the Regulars

If you haven't tried it you must give Bruichladdich "Laddie 10" a go. This one is the best surprise of the year thus far with the Irish whiskey Redbreast 12 a very close second. Both are highly recommended.

9. okbrewer

okbrewer New in Town

I'm an Islay fan too, with Laphroaig being my favorite. Got to sample some Laphroaig 40 yr a few months ago, and I'm spoiled! Also like Lagavulin and Talisker. Received a bottle of Glenmorangie for Christmas, so that is what I've been sipping lately. OH! And for a delicate, fruity single malt whisky, check out Yamazaki 12 yr old!

Bob R in OKC

10. Doc Average

Doc Average One of the Regulars

I visited Islay last week. While I was there I popped into Bruichladdich and picked up a bottle of a one off blend created by Jim McEwan. It's called Symphony Number 1: Conception, and it's a blend of Islay, Speyside and Highland malts that were knocking around in the warehouse. It's absolutely lovely. Very easy drinking (almost too easy!). Smooth, soft and slightly sweet, as befits the Speysides/Highlands, but also with the richness of an Islay (not much smokiness though). Certainly the best of 3 worlds, and at £13 a bottle, it's a bargain too! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available to order on the website, and once it's gone, it's gone.

Edit: Here's a link to a (now closed) auction for a bottle of the above. By the way, I stand corrected: It's a blend of Islay, Speyside, Highland and Lowland malts.

http://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/store/product/37_the-11th-auction-ends-on-sunday-march-04-2012/2645_011257-jim-mcewans-symphony-no-1/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. blazerbud

blazerbud One of the Regulars

I read several people in this thread appreciate Famous Grouse. It is blended single malt, I think it is a good value, and it is harsh just like i like it.

13. Neso

Neso New in Town

The Dalmore 18-Year-Old Whisky
    Quite an experience

14. Yes it is.:cheers1:

15. Jaxworx

Jaxworx Familiar Face

Ardbeg Distillery's Airigh Nam Beist from Ardbeg is, without doubt, the finest liquor I've ever put into my face. I doubt I'll see another bottle in my lifetime.

Airigh Nam Beist inspires the understated gentleman's reply to the blushing but defiant battle cry of "lips that touch wine shall never touch mine!"

"That is fine, madam. I'll stick to Scotch." :)

16. :rofl: That works for me. :p

17. GoetzManor

GoetzManor Familiar Face

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but The Grangestone 12 year is absolutely fantastic. I received a bottle for my birthday and it definitely blew me away; super smooth and flavorful. Give it a shot if you haven't tried it yet. For the price, it's a no brainer if you want to acquaint yourself (like I did) with a decent single malt.

18. Interesting. Definitely worth a try for about $30. :cheers1:

19. Abyss

Abyss Familiar Face

"Lips that touch wine shall never touch mine!" That seems to leave a lot open, doesn't it? How about this, "lips that touch liquor shall never lick her!" Erm. Maybe a bit too far. Back to the Scotch, shall we?

I just recently got into whisky, well, I just recently got into alcohol at all. I decided to try whisky because I have a bit of Scottish (and Irish) heritage, so you might as well go Scotch or not at all, right? So I ventured into a local liquor store and examined their collection of small (200/375ml) whiskys. Most were American or Canadian, of course, but I picked up a 200ml bottle of Chivas Regal and took it home with me.

It was enjoyable enough from the first sip that I was a Scotch fan. A paycheck or two later and a fair amount of time on the internet, and I now have a bottle of Glenmorangie Original and Talisker 10 on my shelf. I picked up the Glenmorangie because of advice from the internet regarding first Scotches mixed with my usual propensity to avoid the popular (Glenlivet and Glenfiddich), while I was drawn to the Talisker partially because both it and I share a connection with the ocean. I have not yet gone through a quarter bottle of either, as when I drink I pour out a dram and enjoy it for the duration of the evening, but I seem to prefer the Talisker over the Glenmorangie.

Where should I go from here? I am in no hurry to massively expand my collection of Scotch because of reasons both consumptive (I am a slow drinker, as I said) and financial (Whisky ain't cheap in Alaska). However, my palate is expanding albeit slowly, and I know that the line will not end with these two. I would like to have an idea of where the future should lead.

20. Jaxworx

Jaxworx Familiar Face

I've found Balvenie Double Wood on sale more than once recently in WA state. Bought a bottle for a friend's birthday and he -- a "Scotch o' the Month Club" kind of guy -- was quite pleased. You can't go badly wrong with Glenmorangie, either; that was a solid choice.

If you'd like to explore your tolerance for Islay peat, you could lay in a bottle of Laphroaig (or Ardbeg, if you like flavor with your peat). I suspect that if you liked your first Scotch, peat isn't too offensive to you.

Cheers!