What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Chiliarches, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Both good choices. :p

2. John J

John J Familiar Face

The Balvenie Double wood 12 Year as my favorite keep at the house whiskey.

Another favorite is Oban also a 12 year.

If I wanted to spend Lots of $ id have some Macallan, 16 or 25 in the house but too much $$$.

"John"

3. I agree on both of those. They are both good examples of scotch.

You might also try Glenrothes range and, of course, Glendronach. Glendronach being one of my all time favorites. You can't go wrong with it. :D:cheers1:

4. gear-guy

gear-guy Practically Family

I must agree with John J.Balvenie 12 for me. I will admit though that scotch is new to me.I am learning to adjust my taste towards scotch as I have been a bourbon and Irish whiskey fan for years. I started about a year ago when my son in law gave me some Balvenie and after that it was an easy decision to start experimenting with different brands. So far Balvenie is my favorite in my price range but I am always open to suggestions. Like to stay in the $50 range.

5. bretron

bretron Call Me a Cab

Laphroaig 10yo or Bowmore 12yo for a solid mid range priced Islay dram.

6. Is it just me or has Laphroaig become more mellow? It was almost undrinkable to me before but it has become a lot less peaty and briny as of late. I prefer Ardbeg if I am going to go in that direction anyway. :p

7. Lotsahats

Lotsahats One Too Many

I received a Laphroaig 18 as a gift; that was a really mellow, smooth scotch. It had that distinctive Islay peat, but it was just very tasty. Still, were I to lay down the money myself, I'd go for the Lagavulin.

On another note, I hadn't had Glenlivet for years, so I picked up a bottle. I was pleasantly surprised by the vanilla and caramel notes that it finished with. To echo your point, James, it's either gotten better over the years, or my palate has opened with age.

A

8. Ah, it was the 18 year old. I would go for the 18 year old Oban if I had to pay. :p

I think they changed the recipe. Whiskey Advocate seemed to allude to this a while back if I remember correctly. Although, the palate was sophisticated enough to tell the difference so either way---tastebuds know better. :p

9. Lotsahats

Lotsahats One Too Many

That seems like a risky move for a well-established distillery; granted, I don't know how often other houses handle such things, but it smacks of New Coke to me.

A

10. It isn’t all that risky when you consider it opens them up to more consumers being that it isn’t totally nasty now. :p

11. 1mach1

1mach1

Springbank 15 and Talisker 10 are the ones I enjoy most. There is always room for Laphroaig 10. :)

12. And Oban 18. :D

13. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

My favorite so far is Lagavulin 16, but I've just begun to dip my toe into the wonderful world of single malts, so we'll see.

14. That is a good one Try Ardbeg if you like Lagavulin. It will set you on your ear. :p

15. ebonysw45

ebonysw45 One of the Regulars

[​IMG]

A nice drop.

16. BR Gordon

BR Gordon One Too Many

Lagavulin 12 with just a splash of water to open it up.

17. That would be good. I'll be over in ten minutes. :p

18. ebonysw45

ebonysw45 One of the Regulars

Hope you have a sturdy canoe and a good paddle.

19. :rofl: I made it didn't I? :p

20. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

I had a Glenfiddich, and I would pick it over The Glenlivet. I also had a sip of Macallan (not sure which age). It was amazing.