Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Where should I go from here? I am in no hurry to massively expand my collection of Scotch because of reasons both consumptive (I am a slow drinker, as I said) and financial (Whisky ain't cheap in Alaska). However, my palate is expanding albeit slowly, and I know that the line will not end with these two. I would like to have an idea of where the future should lead.

My advice would be to figure out what region you like most as they are characteristic to region. You can hit just about every region with McClelland"s offerings. At about $20 per bottle you can try their entire line up for the price of that Talisker. :p
Islay, Highland, Lowland and Speyside are a good place to start. :D You can go from there. I would bet that you would like Dalwhinnie, Oban and a few others but try and see what strikes your fancy. As I have said before, Scotch is a whisky that has an example for every taste. :p

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Heed the advise of mr. James Powers Abyss...indeed a very good place to start. Let your taste guide you around the regions of Scotland/Alba in Gaelic.....Slainte !

alsendk

A-List Customer
A bottle of Lagavulin could easily become the start of a beautiful friendship, or a harsh start. I still believe James Powers suggestion to be a better choice for a newcoming to go.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I do believe that I'll take James' advice and tour Scotland. I already own Famous Grouse, Talisker, and Laiphroig. I kind of know what I like, but I need to travel more.

Later

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have not had any since about 1990 but Poit Dubh was my favorite when I lived in Scotland. Only one pub near me had it and they had to get someone who spoke Gaelic to order it because the distillery would hang up if they spoke English on the phone.

I have not had any since about 1990 but Poit Dubh was my favorite when I lived in Scotland. Only one pub near me had it and they had to get someone who spoke Gaelic to order it because the distillery would hang up if they spoke English on the phone.
Oh geez! I have never even heard of this treasure. Not likely I am going to get a chance to try it either. Darn!

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My favourite has to be Brora, but they're long closed and it's getting too pricey for me. Talisker from the more easily available distilleries makes a decent option.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
If you follow the Whisky Trail remember, the only thing that goes in a whisky glass is more whisky. I learned many years ago that stating that at the proper time will open many doors for a Yank.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I did not put an e in whisky so I meant whisky. Scotch is whisky that has been taken out of Scotland.

I never really aquired a taste for whiskey.

Highland Park. 12 years old is all I can afford right now.

Sure. That would still work. For the ultimate in reasonable single malts, try the Mcclelland's line up:

There is one for every taste. If you search the thread, I posted some time back about where each of these really comes from. One comes from Glen Garioch and another from Bowmore.... At about $20 a bottle it is a deal.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Unfortunately, I subscribe more to the theory of Michaleen ogh Flynn in "The Quiet Man": "When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."

BUT, that having been said, I found a lovely wee li'l distillery in Scotland - the world's smallest they tell me. The Edradour Whisky Distillery (http://www.whisky.com/brands/edradour_brand.html) and even though I never touch scotch, I did like a few drams of this.

Unfortunately, I subscribe more to the theory of Michaleen ogh Flynn in "The Quiet Man": "When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."

BUT, that having been said, I found a lovely wee li'l distillery in Scotland - the world's smallest they tell me. The Edradour Whisky Distillery (http://www.whisky.com/brands/edradour_brand.html) and even though I never touch scotch, I did like a few drams of this.

Edradour is just fine. Like I said before, there is a scotch for every taste. :cheers1:

hatguy1

One Too Many
Edradour is just fine. Like I said before, there is a scotch for every taste. :cheers1:

Don't you love liquors with that kind of variety? It's like in wines. There's something for everyone and oftentimes three individuals can react to the same wine in three different ways. OR if it's served with 3 different foods it can taste three different ways.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
My favourite depends on mood and weather. If it's really cold/rotten outside and I stagger in half frozen and wet after a long walk then I'll go for an Islay malt, Lagavulin 16 being the favourite. Else the Balvenie double wood (Speyside) for a mellower, sweeter drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112