Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

the thing I like about Black label is that you can pull certain flavors out by how you have it. Soda water will make it taste a certain way, on the rocks different yet, and room temperature different as well (in addition to mixers like cola etc if you are inclined).

I'll have to try Clontarf, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I remember I had an older teacher long ago who was Irish and would get very passionate about whiskey saying that it should not be called Scotch. That it was in fact originally from Ireland and perfected there as well. The Scottish stole their thunder and spread it as their own. :)

I usually have my scotch straight up. I usually get more from it that way.

You don't find Clontarf everywhere. It is interesting though. You can get a single malt version too.

The Scotch say they took whiskey from Ireland and perfected it too. :p I suppose you call Scotch Scotch and Irish Irish. The Irish is triple distilled though. :p

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I would say that if you're using Scotch to mix, definitely use a blend. Definitely. It's a waste of a really good Scotch to mix it with anything, in my opinion, although those who use water are excepted. Matter of fact, the more it's mixed, the more you'd want to go for a cheap Scotch like Cutty or Grant or something like that, because then the point of the drink is not a fine whiskey, but a flavorful drink with a kick.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I would say that if you're using Scotch to mix, definitely use a blend. Definitely. It's a waste of a really good Scotch to mix it with anything, in my opinion, although those who use water or ice are excepted. Matter of fact, the more it's mixed, the more you'd want to go for a cheap Scotch like Cutty or Grant or something like that, because then the point of the drink is not a fine whiskey, but a flavorful drink with a kick.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
They say, whoever "they" are, that adding just a little water to a single malt opens the flavors. Personally, I've never noticed the difference.

They say, whoever "they" are, that adding just a little water to a single malt opens the flavors. Personally, I've never noticed the difference.

I don't notice either. All I taste is watered down whiskey. :p
I wouldn't mind using a few drops of water if they were from the SAME source that the distillery used. Then it would be more in character with and homogenize better with the whiskey. Tap water ruins it.

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
I don't notice either. All I taste is watered down whiskey. :p
I wouldn't mind using a few drops of water if they were from the SAME source that the distillery used. Then it would be more in character with and homogenize better with the whiskey. Tap water ruins it.

I've taken to putting a few drops of water in from time to time, but only pure water and only in verra smoky Islays. Does water "open it?" Maybe. Personally, I like what it does for taste, but I put a lot less water in my whisky than I do vermouth in my martinis -- and my martinis are more about quality gin (Hedge Trimmer being the current favorite) than vermouth mixiness.

As to distilleries, nothing matches Ardbeg Uigeadail (with a tiny drizzle of H2O) for my palate, although I once had a bottle of Airigh Nam Beist that I miss quite fondly. Should never have killed that one off, even if she did beg for it. O, Airigh, we barely knew ye...

Last edited:
I've taken to putting a few drops of water in from time to time, but only pure water and only in verra smoky Islays. Does water "open it?" Maybe. Personally, I like what it does for taste, but I put a lot less water in my whisky than I do vermouth in my martinis -- and my martinis are more about quality gin (Hedge Trimmer being the current favorite) than vermouth mixiness.

As to distilleries, nothing matches Ardbeg Uigeadail (with a tiny drizzle of H2O) for my palate, although I once had a bottle of Airigh Nam Beist that I miss quite fondly. Should never have killed that one off, even if she did beg for it. O, Airigh, we barely knew ye...

Well, I insert vermouth in my martinis with a vermouth mister so I am right there with you. :p

I never knew Airigh so I can't say that I am missing it but maybe I should be. :p

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I received a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, as a gift. I tried it with the anticipation that always accompanies the first taste of a new scotch. I thought that it was thin and watery with almost no fruit and definitely no peat, no oak, and no sherry. This is a scotch that I'm going to save for guests that are not particularly fans of scotch, but want to try one.

I received a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, as a gift. I tried it with the anticipation that always accompanies the first taste of a new scotch. I thought that it was thin and watery with almost no fruit and definitely no peat, no oak, and no sherry. This is a scotch that I'm going to save for guests that are not particularly fans of scotch, but want to try one.

That is what is characteristic of Glenfiddich just as big and bold is what characterizes Ardbeg. Glenfiddich is not a smoky, peaty, oaky scotch. :p That is what some people buy it for. :p They know what they are getting.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Glenfiddich 12
Single malt with training wheels.
Sorry if that sounded to anyone like I was saying that it was not good to drink Glenfiddich. I only meant that it is a good whisky to start someone on to see if they like the basic taste of whisky. When I re-read my post I realized how abrasive it sounded, sorry.

The strong overtones of some whiskys often scare people away. Often the enjoyment of smoky peat takes a while to develop. Some folks do like the malt flavor with minimal additional flavors.

Sorry if that sounded to anyone like I was saying that it was not good to drink Glenfiddich. I only meant that it is a good whisky to start someone on to see if they like the basic taste of whisky. When I re-read my post I realized how abrasive it sounded, sorry.

The strong overtones of some whiskys often scare people away. Often the enjoyment of smoky peat takes a while to develop. Some folks do like the malt flavor with minimal additional flavors.

Oh I understood that. I was just saying that it has enough following to keep producing it. :p

BR Gordon

One Too Many
If a guest or friend would like to try a single malt, I typically give them Glenlivet 12. It's a scotch that has a little flavor, but not enough to scare anyone off. If they like that one, we move up to a single malt with more character. I only serve the Glenfiddich because it was given to me as a gift, but wouldn't buy.

If a guest or friend would like to try a single malt, I typically give them Glenlivet 12. It's a scotch that has a little flavor, but not enough to scare anyone off. If they like that one, we move up to a single malt with more character. I only serve the Glenfiddich because it was given to me as a gift, but wouldn't buy.

Let them jump right in. Give them some Peat Monster. :p
ThePeatMonster-Box-Bottle.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana