Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Need to get a nice scotch as a gift for a friend who turns 70. Any recommendations?

It really depends on how much you want to spend. If you want a decent scotch that won't overwhelm with peat then Bruichladdich 10 is really coming up in the world at around $57 It is an Islay but it is a peat less Islay.
The previously mentioned Macallan is a good whiskey at a little higher price point and the previously mentioned Dalmore is also a good whiskey---especially with a good cigar. Depending on how old you can shoot for the moon in price with Dalmore. :p Lagavulin is a peated whiskey that doesn't appeal to all but the 16 year old is a good choice for the peated malt lover. Some of their older offerings are also quite good and they get a bit mellower with age.
If you want to impress with something old and not excessively expensive then the new Berry Brothers & Rudd 1989 would be an esoteric choice that he would likely not be familiar with. At around $100---hopefully lower if you can find it, not overly sweet or overly strong but pleasant.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Ahh, my favourite spirit! It can be lonely being a scotch whiskey drinker, but I have managed to convert one or two of my friends to the fold.

By far my favourite scotch, and the one which I strongly recommend to those new to scotch, is Dalwhinney 15 year old. Known as 'the gentle spirit', Dalwhinney is distilled at the highest altitude distillery in Scotland, and it truly is a magnificently wonderful spirit. It is smooth as silk, without any harshness, very full bodied and flavourful, with just enough peat to add some excitement, finishing with just the right hint of smokyness. I absolutely love it and I've never been disappointed by it; I've consumed several bottles in my time. I drink it with just a small drop of water to release the flavours, as with all the scotch I drink.

I also highly enjoy Talisker when I'm in the right mood. I describe drinking Talisker as akin to drinking a campfire as it's so smoky it doesn't even feel like liquid on your tongue! Very flavourful and pleasant. Obviously not nearly as full bodied as Dalwhinney, but still a hint of peat in there, and definitely VERY smooth.

I also enjoy Oban and Lagavulin, but not as much as the previous two I've mentioned. There are so many more scotches that I want to try...

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
...Dalmore is also a good whiskey---especially with a good cigar. Depending on how old you can shoot for the moon in price with Dalmore. :p

I've eyed the Dalmore a few times, since it bears the mark of my regiment, the Seaforth Highlanders, on the bottle; how would you describe the taste of it? I may just be persuaded to give it a try.

I've eyed the Dalmore a few times, since it bears the mark of my regiment, the Seaforth Highlanders, on the bottle; how would you describe the taste of it? I may just be persuaded to give it a try.

It is a Highland malt so you won't find it to be particularly peaty or smoky. It does have the benefit of salt air at that altitude so you can expect it to be hearty but not much more than the golden barley it uses---produced right on Black Isle. The ones matured in Sherry casks(the 12) have picked up some of that elegant taste but are still strong enough to be spicy, sweet and have a tangy long finish. The older stuff you are on your own with as I have not parted with the money to try them. :p
If you add water, I don't, I am told it brings out a more peaty taste.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
It is a Highland malt so you won't find it to be particularly peaty or smoky. It does have the benefit of salt air at that altitude so you can expect it to be hearty but not much more than the golden barley it uses---produced right on Black Isle. The ones matured in Sherry casks(the 12) have picked up some of that elegant taste but are still strong enough to be spicy, sweet and have a tangy long finish. The older stuff you are on your own with as I have not parted with the money to try them. :p
If you add water, I don't, I am told it brings out a more peaty taste.

Mmmm that sounds excellent. I'm convinced! I'll post here when I get around to giving it a go. Thanks for the info!

bonnieprince

Familiar Face
When it comes to Scotch, I don't have a favorite brand. The point of drinking Scotch is to develop a palate by exploring all of the various blends and single malts out there. There are so many different flavors out there, you can't possibly pick a favorite. If you want a smooth blend, Johnnie Blue is great. Try the full range of Johnnie Walker. There are other blends like Chivas, etc. If you want a citrus flavored single-malt, try Glenmorangie. I can't remember which one it was (possibly Laphroaig), but I had a Scotch that went beyond hints of peat to the point that it tasted like somebody made peat tea and added scotch to it. Glenlivit, Glenfiddich, Talisker are all good basic single malts. You really need to get out there and try them all for yourself. Find out when there is going to be a big tasting event, and make yourself available.

When it comes to Scotch, I don't have a favorite brand. The point of drinking Scotch is to develop a palate by exploring all of the various blends and single malts out there. There are so many different flavors out there, you can't possibly pick a favorite. If you want a smooth blend, Johnnie Blue is great. Try the full range of Johnnie Walker. There are other blends like Chivas, etc. If you want a citrus flavored single-malt, try Glenmorangie. I can't remember which one it was (possibly Laphroaig), but I had a Scotch that went beyond hints of peat to the point that it tasted like somebody made peat tea and added scotch to it. Glenlivit, Glenfiddich, Talisker are all good basic single malts. You really need to get out there and try them all for yourself. Find out when there is going to be a big tasting event, and make yourself available.

Been there done that. :p Laphroig is a bit tamer now than it used to be. The last time I tasted it, it was actually drinkable. It surprised me. :p I have another one to add to my list but the name escapes me at the moment and I don't want to go out in the rain to the summer house to check it out right at the moment. :p
Blue Label Johnny Walker is a waste of money in my opinion. You can buy a VERY nice single malt with the $150 or more that it costs for it IMHO.
Trying them all sounds good though. I just haven't got to all of them yet. A trip to Scotland might well be in order. I can just imagine the hangovers. :p

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Update! I tried a wee dram of the Dalmore as a finisher for my 5th wedding anniversary and quite enjoyed it. I think I'll pick up a bottle next time I get a chance. James, you say it's the 12 that's aged in Sherry casks? That sounds delicious; I'll look for that.

As always I enjoyed it with a tiny dribble of water and I found it released the flavours nicely. It has wonderful nose, too, particularly pleasant.

Update! I tried a wee dram of the Dalmore as a finisher for my 5th wedding anniversary and quite enjoyed it. I think I'll pick up a bottle next time I get a chance. James, you say it's the 12 that's aged in Sherry casks? That sounds delicious; I'll look for that.

As always I enjoyed it with a tiny dribble of water and I found it released the flavours nicely. It has wonderful nose, too, particularly pleasant.

I am glad you liked it. The Dalmore 12 year old is aged in Sherry casks. So is the Dalmore Gran Reserva. Start with the 12 year old. Gran Reserva is a fair jump in price. :D

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I've never met a single-malt I didn't like...the opposite is almost true with blends...unless youre mixing....
Johnnie Walker's Green label is the only JW I really like...but its a blend of all Single-malts...But too expensive...
If the bread factor dictates a blend...Teachers Highland Cream, is the one that rises above the rest...It has the highest percentage of single-malt vs grain...and cost a little lower than Johnnie Walker 'Red' but taste much better...still not much of a sniffer when you first open it...finger nail polish remover comes to mind...as with most blends, especially in this price range...but the taste puts it in another price range category all together...:) White Horse is another blend far better tasting than the price would warrent...
But if I have the bread...any single-malt will do...I like all the regions...the Islays, Speysiders, Highlanders...
One thing I've notice though...after 18 years...maybe theres a point of diminishing returns...my favorites are all 18's or under...
Cheers...

Last edited:

kb777

New in Town
My all time favorite would have to be Macallan 18...when I can afford it (which is rarely). My normal whisky for day to day consumption sort of rotates between Balvenie Caribbean Cask, JW Green (which is being discontinued :-( ), and Glenfiddich 15. I also like an occaisional dram of Talisker, Lagavulin, and any of the Glenmorangies. I'm always on the lookout for a decent blend...may give White Horse a try.

My all time favorite would have to be Macallan 18...when I can afford it (which is rarely). My normal whisky for day to day consumption sort of rotates between Balvenie Caribbean Cask, JW Green (which is being discontinued :-( ), and Glenfiddich 15. I also like an occaisional dram of Talisker, Lagavulin, and any of the Glenmorangies. I'm always on the lookout for a decent blend...may give White Horse a try.

The Caribean Cask is an interesting expression of Balvenie. I think I like the Double Wood better. Both are ok but the Double Wood has a bit more flavor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21