Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
I should mention here that Costco has a deal on three Glenlivet fifths for $99 (12,15,18). The 18 nearly goes for that normally.:D

Aieee. The problem is that Glenlivet--while respectable--is only exceptional in the Nadurra expression. That is a good deal given the price for the bottles...but there is better whisky to be had for the same dollars

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glenmorangie

I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie in the Bahamas while we were there. I picked that one because it was the one of the three single malts that I hadn't tried before. Not bad, but next year I'm going to try to take my own scotch from home. More expensive but a much better selection here than there.

Aieee. The problem is that Glenlivet--while respectable--is only exceptional in the Nadurra expression. That is a good deal given the price for the bottles...but there is better whisky to be had for the same dollars

It works for me. However, if Nadurra is your end all in Glenlivet then you had better start looking for some other. The Nadurra is made from 100% Triumph barley. Glenlivet no longer uses that type of barley. I wouldn't expect too see much of that at any price.:eusa_doh:
The 18 year old works just fine for me. Then again, the 15 year old is fine too. :D

I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie in the Bahamas while we were there. I picked that one because it was the one of the three single malts that I hadn't tried before. Not bad, but next year I'm going to try to take my own scotch from home. More expensive but a much better selection here than there.

If you want to try something, try Auchentoshan. It doesn't use peat at all to dry the barley.;):p

Last edited:

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I got a bottle of Ardbeg (10 year old, Islay, single malt) for my birthday. I really didn't care for it. It's supposed to be "Full-bodied, earthily, smokily peaty and rich with touches of coffee/chocolate and tarry rope/creosote." But, to me, the smoke flavor overpowered any of the undertones. I thought someone emptied a bottle of liquid smoke into it!

So far, Glenfiddich, seems to top my list. With Glenlivit a close second.

I got a bottle of Ardbeg (10 year old, Islay, single malt) for my birthday. I really didn't care for it. It's supposed to be "Full-bodied, earthily, smokily peaty and rich with touches of coffee/chocolate and tarry rope/creosote." But, to me, the smoke flavor overpowered any of the undertones. I thought someone emptied a bottle of liquid smoke into it!

So far, Glenfiddich, seems to top my list. With Glenlivit a close second.

That tarry rope/Creosote should have told you something there. :p Many Islays have that super smoky peat flavor to them. Some to a lesser extent than others though. I guess Peat Monster and a few other heavy smoky flavored scotches are out for you then? lol

BobC

Oban is my favorite of the of the classic malts, Famous Grouse Gold Reserve is my favorite blended.

Just recently picked up a bottle of Oban. Good scotch. It's a bit smoky and peaty, but not as much so as the full blown Islays. If you like a little smoke, I recommend it.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
My absolute favorite is Macallan 18 but it's not an everyday pour around here. Highland Park 18 and Balvenie Doublewood are the ones I go to most often.

BobC

Oban is indeed smoky in flavor profile but it doesn't overpower the rest of the flavors. Have you tried Peat Monster yet?;):p

I haven't tried it, nor have I seen it anywhere around here. You're scaring me away from it anyway. I can't imagine liking anything more peaty than Laphroaig.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I've been recently introduced to Talisker and must admit that it grew on me VERY fast. I tried the 10yr, hesitantly, when I was informed, at a bar, that they were out of Oban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo