Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
I'm near to finishing off my bottle of Laphroaig 10 year, so I'll probably get a bottle of Bowmore Legend next. My last few bottles have been a bit on the spendy side (Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Laphroaig, and the like). I think Bowmore Legend is a good, well priced, Scotch. I got a friend of mine a bottle for Christmas. In his words it tastes like you're "drinking the Bible!" lol

Grinder

New in Town
I'm tempted to say any whiskey that costs me nothing, preferably Irish but as this is a Scotch thread, so if I'm buying it has to be a Laphroaig. Ideally a Quarter Cask or a Cask strength bottling

After than any of the single malts with a strong sea or peaty character.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought a bottle of McClelland's Islay Single Malt. I was told it's bottled young and therefore is less expensive. I wanted to try an Islay as I'd never tried one before and didn't want to pay $75 or $100 for a bottle I didn't like. What can you tell me about this one? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
BobC said:
I bought a bottle of McClelland's Islay Single Malt. I was told it's bottled young and therefore is less expensive. I wanted to try an Islay as I'd never tried one before and didn't want to pay $75 or $100 for a bottle I didn't like. What can you tell me about this one? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Bob, I haven't had McClelland's, but I got into Islay Scotches with Laphroaig 10 year. I believe it's around $30, so it's a pretty gentle way to start! lol

I like the price point on that McClelland's though. I'll have to give it a shot.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've tried most of the McClelland's and rather like their Highland, but I didn't care for the Islay. I'm not sure it was McClelland's fault, so much as it was I didn't like the smoked peat and salt taste of an Islay.

Brad

Marcus

A-List Customer
Johnny Walker Black...since it's the only one I've tried. Was given a bottle for Christmas. I was just drinking it with ice, but a friend told me to add a splash of water. I didn't think it would make a difference, but it did.

Brad Bowers said:
I've tried most of the McClelland's and rather like their Highland, but I didn't care for the Islay. I'm not sure it was McClelland's fault, so much as it was I didn't like the smoked peat and salt taste of an Islay.

Brad

I thought that McClelland's was a part of Bowmore. I am pretty sure it is. I thought they were going to release a sherry cask Highland and have sort of been waiting for that one but it has never materialized. [huh] However, they have been rumored to start releasing 12 year old versions of their McClelland offerings from the various regions. These would more than likely be smoother and have a more defined taste. I dislike the heavy Islays such as Frog but I can live with Lagavulin and a few others. I have not tried the McClelland's version but since Bowmore is an Islay, I would imagine that it would be the younger version. [huh]

rumblefish

One Too Many
I had a rusty nail over the weekend, and occasionally I'll have some of the nicer scotch with a bit of water. Somehow I wind up with a bottle of Macallan every few years, that gets used up in time to be replaced by a new bottle during the gifting season. I don't think I'm a good judge of scotches, anyone have an opinion on Macallan 18? [huh] I like it, but then again...

rumblefish said:
I had a rusty nail over the weekend, and occasionally I'll have some of the nicer scotch with a bit of water. Somehow I wind up with a bottle of Macallan every few years, that gets used up in time to be replaced by a new bottle during the gifting season. I don't think I'm a good judge of scotches, anyone have an opinion on Macallan 18? [huh] I like it, but then again...

Macallan 18 is a good Scotch. I like it straight. No need for any additions. :D If someone gave you that as a present, keep that friend.:D
Drink that everytime you crave Cynar. It might cure that nasty habit. ;) :p

rikrdo

A-List Customer
being the cheap bastige, I am...............

Single malts are lost on my cigar / pipe smoke ravaged palate so I tend to lean towards the blends:

Chivas 18 yr old, being the fave
JW black and
Teacher's Highland Cream
bringing up the rear

rikrdo said:
being the cheap bastige, I am...............

Single malts are lost on my cigar / pipe smoke ravaged palate so I tend to lean towards the blends:

Chivas 18 yr old, being the fave
JW black and
Teacher's Highland Cream
bringing up the rear

I am int he same boat as you with the cigar hobby. ;) However, a good Scotch compliments a good cigar very well. There are reasonable single malt Scotches out there. McClelland's Highland being one of them.
smiley.gif
:beer:

Harpy

New in Town
Over the past few years I have come to love a good single malt. I used to prefer gins, but some weirdness with intolerances happens and now I can't drink white spirits made with grain - have no idea why. Brown spirits from grain are no problem. Which is lucky, I guess! :)

My favourite is the Oban 14 I got a couple of years ago, but my favourite overall distillery is Bruichladdich - never had a dud from them! Currently on our liquor shelf we have:

Ardbeg 10 (this has got to be the best value single malt out there)
Bruichladdich Twenty, Second Edition
Single cask bottling from Glen Garioch, 15 years old 1988
Laphroaig 10
Bruichladdich Rocks New (very nice blend, works well in toddies)

We've also polished off the Bowmore 17 (superb), Highland Park 12, Lagavulin 16, and Glenfiddich 16. All make a tasty dram!

Our next whisky purchase may well be from one of the Australian distillers, they've been getting excellent reviews and I'm curious to try them out.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lexybeast said:
Bob, I haven't had McClelland's, but I got into Islay Scotches with Laphroaig 10 year. I believe it's around $30, so it's a pretty gentle way to start! lol

I like the price point on that McClelland's though. I'll have to give it a shot.

One of the things we did at the Monteagle get together last week was a scotch tasting. There were 8 or 9 scotches donated to the cause. I took Glenlivet 12, Cragganmore and Glendullan. Others brought Laphroaig, Highland Park 12 and 18, Glenlivet 18 and a few others that escape me now. Since I've been back home I bought a bottle of Laphroaig. Thanks to my friend, Mr. Paladin for that introduction. The Laphroaig was, as I suspected, not as sharp as the McClelland, and I quite enjoyed it.

I also picked up a bottle of McClelland Highland and have enjoyed more than half of that bottle also. That one is a very nice bottle as Brad noted.

At our High Point dinner, I had Macallan and enjoyed it as well.

astrbac

New in Town
Hello fellas!

I am new here and this is my first post :) so please be gentle.

My favorite has to be The Macallan 15 but since it is unobtainable (?) in Croatia I switched to Glenlivet 15. Awesome stuff.

I normally hated hard spirits, whiskies especially, but as I decided to give it another shot I came to the conclusion that it was because of all the rubbish - "plain" Jack Daniels, Ballantines, Chivas and all the other cheaper stuff that people drink. Once you try a good single malt, in a proper atmosphere, sip it slowly and enjoy its aromas... Only THEN is it that you realize the beauty of it.

Cheers!
Alex

astrbac said:
I normally hated hard spirits, whiskies especially, but as I decided to give it another shot I came to the conclusion that it was because of all the rubbish - "plain" Jack Daniels, Ballantines, Chivas and all the other cheaper stuff that people drink. Once you try a good single malt, in a proper atmosphere, sip it slowly and enjoy its aromas... Only THEN is it that you realize the beauty of it.

Cheers!
Alex

That is the long and short of it. Those othrs just aren't on the same level as a good single malt. I don't care what Matt Helm drank in those movies. ;) :p

Chainsaw

Suspended
Wait, wait! I know the best....

The one that tastes like smokey cow dung right?
Prepared in the traditional method.

Ones always in know, when one reads G.Q.

JW or teachers

Chainsaw

Suspended
Yes, quite. One must enjoy it in an etched leaded glass (heavy on the lead). The ice must be from distilled swamp water, with high moss concentration. The frezzer burn that is set into the aformentioned cubes, must be in the order of at least a fort night. Essence of frozen vegetables, of course is optional.

If one is not a smoker, one can simply sprinkle some tobbaco, and or chinese newspaper on an electric element, and set to medium low, for proper atmosphere.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass