Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've never tasted scotch whisky, in all of my 43 years, but the descriptions I read in this thread are tempting me to grab a bottle and try it.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Scotch is an interesting tipple for me. When I'm in the mood I can't seem to get enough only too much at a sitting. Such a wide varieties of flavors and subtleties in the different blends and singles.
Tom D.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I actually went to Dad's Bottle Shop today, planning to buy a nice bottle...the only proper liquor store in Lake St. Louis, MO. I was overwhelmed by the bottles on the wall and bought some Schlafly's No.15 Pale Ale instead. I've been slugging pale ales all afternoon.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Scotch? :eusa_doh:

If you're keen on your Islays, my pick would be the 16yr old Lagavulin or the Bowmore 15yr old Mariner.

Oban is always a good call.

Something a bit more unusual but well worth trying if you can get them are the Jura Boutique bottlings - The Oloroso Sherry finish in particular is delightful. The heavily-peated one isn't as convincing though - If you want the best peated Jura, try the 'Prophecy'.

For a decent, affordable regular, try Auchentoshan Three Wood. Not bad at all, and just down the road! :)

Shel

New in Town
Scotch whiskey

I just tasted Tomintoul 16 year old single malt. It's excellent and the price is right! I also like Dalwhinnie and The Balvenie.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Clynelish is generally spectacular. Floral, heather notes mingle with honey on the palate, and black pepper in the aftertaste. A touch of peat and salt comes in more with the older ones. I usually swipe any of it I can find, as my local whisky shop found out when I cleaned them out of it in one fell swoop!

Bunnahabhain has a lovely full-bodied fruity flavour, followed by a light smoky aftertaste which contrasts nicely with the palate. It's very cold and wet here at the moment and this malt is the perfect antidote!

And fans of fruitier whiskies should definitely try Aberlour A'Bunadh. Goes straight into sherry casks and doesn't see a bourbon barrel in its life. Delicious after dinner.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
Glenfiddich 18 YO. Staring at the bottle on my desk now, but no ocassion to have a taste.

I might have to make one up in the next five minutes.

Clynelish is generally spectacular. Floral, heather notes mingle with honey on the palate, and black pepper in the aftertaste. A touch of peat and salt comes in more with the older ones. I usually swipe any of it I can find, as my local whisky shop found out when I cleaned them out of it in one fell swoop!

Bunnahabhain has a lovely full-bodied fruity flavour, followed by a light smoky aftertaste which contrasts nicely with the palate. It's very cold and wet here at the moment and this malt is the perfect antidote!

And fans of fruitier whiskies should definitely try Aberlour A'Bunadh. Goes straight into sherry casks and doesn't see a bourbon barrel in its life. Delicious after dinner.

Thanks for the recommendations. Coming from where you are, I'll take that as good advice. :D The Abelour sounds like something I could drink fairly often. ;) Then again so do the other ones you mentioned. :cheers1:

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
And cheers to you as well. I was thinking the same and pourd hopefully at the same time.

I'm not allowed to smoke, and in fact quit smoking altogether after 30 years of smoking. I'm currently on medical leave for a coranary quad4 bypass I had two months ago as of today. At 48 years old I would have never targeted myself as one for a heart attact. The Cat Dr. was amazed that I was alive when I arrived at the hospital at 0300 after being in arrest for more than 45 minutes and having the 'widow maker' artery blocked 100%.

But I am here to tell the tale.

Last edited:

Mark D

One of the Regulars
Have you tried Peat Monster. If you like peaty that will satisfy you.:D

No I haven't. But I certainly will give it a try. Hopefully I'll be able to find it. Here in NH the State owns/runs the liquor stores so it's a bit difficult to find better or limited run bottles. But, I can always take a look down in Boston if I don't have any luck up here.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari