Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favourite lining? Post pictures!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I've never seen a rayon/wool blend! Must be nice.

I wondered why there isn't that many people that go crazy on the lining here as some guys do on suit jackets (think those football players' dollar bill printed linings). I think one of the reasons must be the silk durability... And maybe heat insulation as well, as the point of a leather jacket lining is different of a suit one.

Yeah, I agree with going a little crazy on the lining for a custom. I think it was @JMax who made a Regius jacket with a sashiko printed one, that came out particularly nice.

I think so too! I mean, one could go with a very sober, classical shell and give some spice to the jacket by going with a colourful lining. One example that I quite liked is @Brandrea33 new Goodwear Hércules with the shiny golden lining. I'd like to see better pictures of that, TBH (I think that shows how personal a lining could be, even when showing the jacket you might not get a full idea of it). Another one that got my attention is a jacket on Field Leathers Instagram page with what seems like a pink sleeve lining haha Not that I'd use something like that, but seemed like a cool detail.

I know you have a pretty nice collection there! Moleskin must be nice... I only have it on my pockets and always makes me wonder... How warm is it? I quite like your hounds tooth Lewis. I was considering something like that myself. I think this is heavier weight than Aero's Lochcarron, isn't it?
Here are a few pictures of the lining on my GW Hercules.

John Chapman described it as Sunback yellow which is a rayon material with a cotton “backing”. It’s got a bit more of a heft to it than a standard rayon material.

Color wise, the pictures do it justice, it’s a very rich gold color. I thought it compliments the dark brown / black leather well.

I know you didn’t ask, but the corduroy collar is sort of reddish brown and the gimped button holes and throat latch are a perfect match … nice little detail and again, compliments the lining well IMO.

D4FA6269-4235-4158-83AD-22E6E62C1A2D.jpeg
A85DE74A-E85C-4DDE-B563-A3902BA05994.jpeg
2B63EC39-575F-4029-91CD-2E60DC32BA6B.jpeg
22BA04C8-34D2-4901-8FC9-931D47E75740.jpeg
BF9EA396-B347-4F15-8135-854B3687DB84.jpeg

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My jacket has been completed and they've sent me pictures for review. Is it just me or is the left pocket noticeably higher than the right?

Edit: I asked them about it and they said it's just the angle of the photos. I went ahead with the order.
View attachment 517889 View attachment 517890

How warm is it?
Slightly warmer than heavy cotton drill, but it doesn't make a really warm jacket (in my opinion).

I quite like your hounds tooth Lewis. I was considering something like that myself. I think this is heavier weight than Aero's Lochcarron, isn't it?

I would say they are quite similar. The loch carron might seem heavier because it is stiffer and scratchier.
Haven't had the ballz to order anything with moleskin lining yet because I'm afraid it might be too warm.

Of course, it depends on your personal perception of warmth. I would not find it too warm.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I too like the military nylons (the thicker one they used for the shell, but to be used for lining). If I could, I would swap every one of my lining to that stuff plus the wool/apaca batting in the middle. Unfortunately no brand I know does this.

The original military nylon jackets with wool/apaca backing was meant for 20s to 50s F, perfect for my climate.

The next best thing for me would be the quilted liner with actual wool backing. The Scottish brands have these. They have them in rayon face like the one above, and the navy blue sateen cotton facing:
View attachment 528751

I also like them moleskin, there are two weights. It feels nice on the skin when wearing a short sleeve shirt. Does get a little more grabby with long sleeve but tolerable. The fancy FW had the sleeves lined in the brushed cotton and that's where I got the idea from.

For warm days, nothing beats cotton. Poplin type is the best imo, doesn't get sticky with sweat. The Americans brands have the ripstop ones. Just regular poplin with ripstop lacing so it would in theory last longer while still thin and lightweight, the linen/hemp like texture will prevent the sticky skin situations.

View attachment 528752

Military nylon is still the best imo. The LW one is closest but still not quite the same as the one used on my flight jackets:
View attachment 528753

Flight jacket nylon is King
View attachment 528754
View attachment 528755
I wonder if it'd be possible to buy this fabric somewhere, so it'd be possible to provide it anytime to make a new jacket.
In my warm climate I prefer a rayon/nylon over insulated. If it has a cool design, even better.

View attachment 528756
I really like a nice design too. I wonder how it would look a lining with one of those Japanese painted silk they use for kimonos...

mvilla

A-List Customer
Here are a few pictures of the lining on my GW Hercules.

John Chapman described it as Sunback yellow which is a rayon material with a cotton “backing”. It’s got a bit more of a heft to it than a standard rayon material.

Color wise, the pictures do it justice, it’s a very rich gold color. I thought it compliments the dark brown / black leather well.

I know you didn’t ask, but the corduroy collar is sort of reddish brown and the gimped button holes and throat latch are a perfect match … nice little detail and again, compliments the lining well IMO.

View attachment 528769 View attachment 528770 View attachment 528771 View attachment 528772 View attachment 528773
Looks so damn soft... Pretty damn cool looking as well. I'm very much interested on knowing from where he gets this lining fabric...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if it'd be possible to buy this fabric somewhere, so it'd be possible to provide it anytime to make a new jacket.
Photo has a roll of the olive nylon, but I have no clue where to even look for the alpaca wool interlining.

I think when Shawn (5*) did them nylon jackets he mentioned he had to custom order the nylon fabric. Military nylon is imo one of the nicest and most functional. Very plain but very nice. It's when it gets to the cottons there are endless designs and prints. Those are good for summer too. Looks cool.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I'm interested also on another detail: the paneled linings... I think that is sort of a feature on Freewheelers or similar, but I think Field leathers also accept making them. Anyone has pictures of examples?

Maxxmitten

New in Town
Here are some images of two Aero jackets I have with the quilted rayon lining. The first is of a black HH 1/2 w/brick colored quilted lining. I obtained this jacket about 20 years ago - rarely worn so that may be why the lining is in pristine condition. The 2nd set of images are of a LHB I got back in 2016. Cordovan CXL steer w/quilted lining. The lining on that coat is far more delicate than the first one. The lining is fraying along the bottom sweep and around the inside of the cuffs and around the center neck area. That wear may be due to the hanger used. Even though the lining looks a bit ratty(no images), the hides are spectacular so I just live with it. View attachment 528737 View attachment 528738 View attachment 528739 View attachment 528743 I find the quilted lining makes for easy on/off.
Those are gorgeous!

Observe

One Too Many
I'm interested also on another detail: the paneled linings... I think that is sort of a feature on Freewheelers or similar, but I think Field leathers also accept making them. Anyone has pictures of examples?
I thought of this as a "premium" feature, yet surprisingly my Five Star G1 has the liner done in panels as well. 20230629_161310.jpg

mvilla

A-List Customer
I thought of this as a "premium" feature, yet surprisingly my Five Star G1 has the liner done in panels as well.
I like this feature... I think the way 5* does it resembles the military style. Here's a pic @Canuck Panda posted on another thread

IMG_1649.JPG.jpg

But I just loved the example @Carlos840 posted on another one, by Freewheelers. The panels lay closer to the leather, giving a more adjusted look. Plus, the leather strip makes the whole world of difference to keep the lining from degrading, I believe.

Screenshot_20230629_235149_Photos.jpg

Absolutely fantastic... My next custom I'll ask for something like this 100%. I know @Marc mndt ordered something similar from FL, but I haven't seen the result. He gave an example of a Regius' one, though

9B7E2755-8B12-4983-989B-198C1CAA16CB.jpeg.jpg

And so did @ton312

DDA027BB-C198-4F08-91CF-A561E27661C1.jpeg.jpg

This lining Regius' used on Tom's jacket is pretty cool as well...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Panelled lining looks a bit more 1930s refined. Every maker can do it, just have to request it. The original M422A/G-1 was designed with it, same as the Leathertogs. I can understand for the Leathertogs because it was a premium product even then. But G-1 jackets? The military must had a good buyer in the back office.

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
I'm really starting to like the Harris Tweed option! How is it, is it scratchy?
I don't really notice it but I'd say it's ever so slightly scratchier than tartan.
I guess it depends on how sensitive to it you are.
I don't mind wearing heavy Icelandic wool sweaters and those linings are nowhere near as scratchy as these sweaters.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I'll join (a little bit late, that's true) to my own party.

Currently, I have 3 main jackets (Aero, Lewis Leathers, and Thedi - I'm not counting my Levi's trucker). These three have different body lining types, namely Lochcarron wool on my Aero, quilted on my LL, and cotton on my Thedi. They all have their version of satin for the sleeves, though.

My Aero has a nice detail that I asked to add, which is a strip of corduroy to the hem. I think this will avoid holes to the most hard wearing part of the jacket. The main body lining is the Fraser Hunting Ancient pattern. I feel it is a nice touch to have a Scotish clan tartan on a Scotish jacket.

20230701_132128.jpg

My Thedi have what I think is a cotton twill lining, but feels much smoother to the touch... I'm not really sure what it is, but I quite like it. However, I'm not too fond of the lack of details and the somewhat bland colour... I think I'm realising I like a more "vibrating" lining, so to speak.

20230701_132309.jpg

Anyway, this one has a dating on the sleeve that I find much nicer than the Aero one.

20230701_132402.jpg

Finally, my LL. I really like this one. It is very comfy and easy to wear, and I have a weak spot for those details that makes you recognize a brand even without seeing a tag, in this case the traditional red quilting/gold rayon satin twill sleeve lining (or, as another example, the plaid pattern on Burberry coats). I don't know why my phone is making the red so pink, but it is not reflecting the actual colour...

20230701_131948.jpg

The gold lining seems to be something that LL is proud about. On their website there is even a post about it. Honestly, it is indeed quite nice.

Maybe their pictures depict the lining better than mine:

Lewis Leathers Satin Lining02.png
Lewis Leathers Satin Lining3.jpg

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Anything slippery like rayon or silk or anything soft and comfortable like brushed cotton flannel. Wool body liner with cotton flannel or moleskin sleeves are nice too.

I hate cotton drill. It's stiff, uncomfortable, and rough in some cases. Pretty much any option is better than that.

Kunja

Practically Family
I prefer the slippery linings as well. Where I live (mid-Atlantic) it’s rarely really cold, and when it is I take the opportunity to wear a shearling like a D1. On most fall/winter days in it’s 40’s or 50’s max low, and I ride in a heated car, so a heavy warm lining isn’t really needed or wanted. Plus a slippery lining makes the jacket comfortable to take in and off, etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy