Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Please share with me your insight about this outfit that I wore today. The thing is I had received some snarky comments about how I look in this outfit on a Facebook page. My question is: In your professional opinion, is it as bad as they made out to be? Any input will be appreciated.

The jacket is perfect! That said, you might consider elongated your arms a couple of inches.

Please share with me your insight about this outfit that I wore today. The thing is I had received some snarky comments about how I look in this outfit on a Facebook page. My question is: In your professional opinion, is it as bad as they made out to be? Any input will be appreciated.

View attachment 311873

I'm curious, what kind of snarky comments? That's how I dress pretty much all the time and have been for many years. Sleeves are a bit long but it's no issue at all and the jacket looks great on you.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I tried zipping the sleeves, but the bulges made it look worse than unzipped and I’m not prepared to take the risk of letting a tailor to shorten it, not knowing what the outcome is gonna be like, I might ruin a beautiful jacket.

bulges or stacks? I think stacks on the arms of jackets look cool. If the bulges bother you maybe wait to see how they feel and look when broken in.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer

View attachment 311873
I believe you should wear what you like since developing personal style is your journey alone but as a fellow sneakerhead, i don’t think the Nike vapormaxes work with the cross zip. I love the white sneaker/black leather combo, but I prefer lower profile and sleeker white shoes to complete the look. For example, common projects, chuck Taylors, vans originals, Jordan 1 lows, addidas classics, etc.

Captain Sensible

A-List Customer
I was walking down the street with my gf, wearing my ELMC californian, when a guy approached us and complemented me on my jacket. He even asked about the maker and where he could get one.

When we walked on I said to my gf "see, people do notice I'm wearing nice jackets". She just chuckled.
View attachment 311875

Did you tell him "some bloke in Scotland" aye?

kowalski

Practically Family
Today Vanson comet. It is great jacket

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-225917.png
    Screenshot_20210221-225917.png
    943.7 KB · Views: 383
  • Screenshot_20210221-225937.png
    Screenshot_20210221-225937.png
    783.1 KB · Views: 412
  • Screenshot_20210221-225931.png
    Screenshot_20210221-225931.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 419

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@Jin431 that Mulholland is so incredible. I am jealous.

View attachment 311873

The jacket looks great. The big issue is that the sleeves are at least 2, perhaps 3" too long. I have had to get the sleeves shortened on two of my jackets and it made a huge difference. I'm not sure if that's what the snarky comments were in regard to, but other than the sneakers not really fitting with the jacket in my opinion, that's the only issue I can see. I like the tucked t shirt.

RMC Cooper with Optimo hat:
7eBGJ2M.jpg

GCgPKwb.jpg

HWx476f.jpg

hesalitedome

New in Town
Very nice jacket Jin431. I realize they're different in a few respects, but how would you compare this to your new FL (e.g., leather, fit, feel)?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 311873
Maybe different glasses and zip up the cuff to tighten the sleeve so not too long, the rest is fine imo wear it like you dont care, and act like you dont know someone taking picture.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
@Jin431 that Mulholland is so incredible. I am jealous.

The jacket looks great. The big issue is that the sleeves are at least 2, perhaps 3" too long. I have had to get the sleeves shortened on two of my jackets and it made a huge difference. I'm not sure if that's what the snarky comments were in regard to, but other than the sneakers not really fitting with the jacket in my opinion, that's the only issue I can see. I like the tucked t shirt.

RMC Cooper with Optimo hat:
7eBGJ2M.jpg

GCgPKwb.jpg

HWx476f.jpg

Thanks @dudewuttheheck the brown mulholland is really lovely to wear.

The fit and style is just perfect. Masculine is the right word for it. It's really your best fitting leather jacket!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Very nice jacket Jin431. I realize they're different in a few respects, but how would you compare this to your new FL (e.g., leather, fit, feel)?

Hmmm I'll try to answer this as best I can but this is me just spewing whatever.
They are very different indeed actually but still jackets that will be a regular in my rotation.

1. The leather are both shinki and it's waaaaay different from one another.

the leather on the FW Mulholland feels more robust and thicker, it has a top coat finish so it's water repellent and I've no qualms taking it for travel or adverse weather, it will show brown teacore when the jacket fades, the leather is grainy off the bat. This jacket has a few other owners before it came to me but it's still not fully broken in.

The leather on the FL Frankenstein is full aniline, so there is no finish and you can see the flaws on the leather clearly (not a bad thing at all), it absorbs water so I'd be a little weary of getting rained on but that's not really a problem where I live so it's not an issue, it is also dyed all the way through so if the top grains fades/scratches away then it will still show a black core, the shinki used here is smooth so I have to wear it well and wear it hard for the grains to show. This is a new jacket so I will have to do all the breaking in.

2. The construction is very similar. They both have laser straight stitching, similar stitch count (if you are into that).

The FW has skived edges so the seams are flat, it also has a beefier main zipper but it's not the easiest to use. It also has underarm gussets that makes arm/shoulder movement very easy.

The FL doesn't have skived edges (Greg has a skiving machine so hopefully soon he will start using the same technique as well) so it's not flat where panels overlap but the stitching is still neat and straight, the main zipper is a #5 but it feels adequate for what i wear it for.

3. The sizing is off the rack vs made to order.

The FW fit is off the rack sizing so I lucked out that I found the most appropriate size for me.

The FL fit is all custom so Greg made me a mock up jacket and we were able to dial in the best possible measurement so the jacket looks good with a tshirt or sweater.

4. The feel of wearing the FW is great, it's a well built heavy horse hide jacket that is not uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

The FL is a custom jacket made especially for me, with designs and details I hand picked so the maker put in more effort and time to get one jacket made. So I'm more attached to it in that way.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Proud member of the anti-shirt tucking club.

View attachment 312057

Love the jacket! Great photo as well! I'm semi part of this club too as most my button up shirts are 27" or longer and my jackets are 23" so it does not look good.

View attachment 312058
Thinking about who in world designed camo cargo pants without back pocket.

I thought you also designed your own pants!? Blasphemy that you don't.

Looking good @HoosierDaddy! This gray Thedi is perfect!

Thanks! I'm hoping that my Field Leathers fits even better! We'll see.

I'm sure it will be close considering how both you and Greg are so well into details! This project can only have one outcome, a classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ