Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
Those vests look cool but I've never understood their utility in our modern days. I mean, you're only keeping warm your torso but then if it's not so cold that you don't need long sleeves then it's certainly too warm for that.
For me, it’s all about managing core temperature. My Iron Heart alpaca lined vest gets more wear than the deck jacket because it keeps me from over heating once I’ve started moving, layers easily and is all around more versatile. Having the arms exposed keeps my pits from sweating, too, and ultimately the larger surface area of the body is more important when it comes to staying warm.

Those vests look cool but I've never understood their utility in our modern days. I mean, you're only keeping warm your torso but then if it's not so cold that you don't need long sleeves then it's certainly too warm for that.

I would wear mine under a leather jacket which worked fine as the vest got heated up between the layers and really kept me warm but being sheepskin, it was bulky and thick and the only jacket I could've wore it under was 2 sizes too large.

There are few rare days per year when it feels wonderful to just keep the core warm, as others have noted, and this kinda vest is perfect for it but I could count the amount of time that had happened on one hand. . .

Viking752

Practically Family
That Schott One series naked cowhide IMHO is hard to top. (Schott 141)
CAF95452-C313-4F91-975C-4B2D81F7F52B.jpeg
9CAA82A3-9CC8-42B0-A881-98D666E5F379.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Not so much “wearing” but trying on. Himel “The Imperial” in oil-tan black Shinki.
Bought used from a fellow lounger, but is like new.

Leather is a bit lighter than my dark-brown oil-tan and way more pliable. The hide is absolutely superb with a luxurious hand and an intoxicating aroma.

3928A30A-CD20-4AAE-B1D3-C7840D0ECDBC.jpeg

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Picked up this older Aero D1 via Ebay. Arrived crammed in a super small box. Was really worried of what might actually be in the box. Leather is freaking gorgeous, aged really well with no wear down spots or tears, and shearling lining for the most part is in great shape. Couple dull spots here and there in usual places, but this thing has a ton of wears on it, and the character to go along with it.

The weirdest thing though is the sleeve ends. I can't figure out if someone butchered them, i.e. cut off the last inch or so in an attempt to shorten them, or if this is how they wear down. Trying to get a clean pic or two of some new ones to do a before and after. There's definitely some funk going on. I can see stitch holes where maybe they were once pinched at the very end to create a taper. The sleeves length are just on the edge of comical for me, but I don't care. The jacket has a cool vintage vibe with the evolution and mods. Thinking about doing a Ton/Deena patented cuff extender lol. In any case, seller was nice and refunded a few extra bucks so the all in price was pretty fair for what I got. I guess it'll be my beater shearling. Definitely feels like a well lived vintage piece, something you'd dig up in a WW2 time capsule, etc. And got lucky with a chilly night so can probably wear one last time for the season. Maybe I'll get some shots tomorrow in proper sun light.

edit: typos and one last thought...

20220502_183935.jpg

Leigh H

Practically Family
Picked up this older Aero D1 via Ebay. Arrived crammed in a super small box. Was really worried of what might actually be in the box. Leather is freaking gorgeous, aged really well with no wear down spots or tears, and shearling lining for the most part is in great shape. Couple dull spots here and there in usual places, but this thing has a ton of wears on it, and the character to go along with it.

The weirdest thing though is the sleeve ends. I can't figure out if someone butchered them, i.e. cut off the last inch or so in an attempt to shorten them, or if this is how they wear down. Trying to get a clean pic or two of some new ones to do a before and after. There's definitely some funk going on. I can see stitch holes where maybe they were once pinched at the very end to create a taper. The sleeves length are just on the edge of comical for me, but I don't care. The jacket has a cool vintage vibe with the evolution and mods. Thinking about doing a Ton/Deena patented cuff extender lol. In any case, seller was nice and refunded a few extra bucks so the all in price was pretty fair for what I got. I guess it'll be my beater shearling. Definitely feels like a well lived vintage piece, something you'd dig up in a WW2 time capsule, etc. And got lucky with a chilly night so can probably wear one last time for the season. Maybe I'll get some shots tomorrow in proper sun light.

View attachment 422678

Finding a time to wear it in that LA weather is going to be a challenge :)

Looks great!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 422678

I love vintage D-1´s. Much more versatile than the heavier siblings. Looks great on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ