Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what kind of hat am I looking for ?

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
hello,

I'm not so much of a hat expert so I have a question for you.
I currently own quite cheap hats. About a dozen.
For spring, I have a hat made of linen which I like a lot : http://1drv.ms/1aIMxWq
The problem is, I can't really wear it when it rains. It's will ruin it
i'm looking for a hat which I can wear when it's both springtime and rainy... cause in spring, one day it can be sunny and the next day it can rain.

My problem is, hats made of beaver (like the Akruba Federation IV that I have) are way too hot for me. I sometimes sweat in my linen one... And I can't wear my panama when it rains of course !

So basically, what do you recommend for me? i'm a bit lost and i don't know where to look when it comes to the fabric...

Thank you very much

javadave61

Practically Family
When you say "rain," I think Akubra. That's what I grab when rain is in the forecast. Some of their hats are vented. Maybe that's an option.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Having lived in New Orleans, I understand the heat and rain concern. You might consider something of a straw look but in a hat not made of true straw. Shantung is a plastic coated paper and there are other materials available which will resist rain quite well. Akubra has the Zephyr and Range hats which look good; should handle the rain and are vented for air flow.

The two which I am considering are:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1031

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=321

But there are several on the EA pages.

Good luck in finding something that you like!

Fed

tommyK

One Too Many
if you haven't tried a silverbelly or other light colored felt hat, You might want to give that a spin before writing off felts all together.

Last summer I experimented with wearing a silverbelly Akubra Camp Draft and an Open Road (often with the liners out). Turns out I don't sweat any more in them than the straw hats I've been wearing. On humid days I'm just going to sweat a lot no matter what I wear so I always carry a handkerchief and occasionally wipe my brow and sweatband.

Last edited:
That's just not an option for some people, and respectfully, it isn't an answer to the question.
with all due respect, the OP pretty much killed his options, he can't wear beaver or rabbit or linen , its either too hot , or or too thin for rain, , straw or panamas are canceled out , SO, a hard hat or umbrella came to mind,
Akubras themselves are probably the best for , rain, outdoors and all around, they are sturdy and inexpensive those options were already canceled

Last edited:

jlw

One of the Regulars
with all due respect, the OP pretty much killed his options, he can't wear beaver or rabbit or linen , its either too hot , or or too thin for rain, , straw or panamas are canceled out , SO, a hard hat or umbrella came to mind,
Akubras themselves are probably the best for , rain, outdoors and all around, they are sturdy and inexpensive those options were already canceled

An umbrella is not a hat. The guy asked about hats.

I often work outside, and when I do, I need the use of both hands. An umbrella is not an option. Does that mean that I have to get drenched in the rain, or is possible that some hat maker in the wold makes a hat that would be of benefit and people on a hat forum just might be able to help find it.

Guess he should have gone to an umbrella forum.

Last edited:

jlw

One of the Regulars
hello,

For spring, I have a hat made of linen which I like a lot : http://1drv.ms/1aIMxWq
i'm looking for a hat which I can wear when it's both springtime and rainy... cause in spring, one day it can be sunny and the next day it can rain.

My problem is, hats made of beaver (like the Akruba Federation IV that I have) are way too hot for me. I sometimes sweat in my linen one... And I can't wear my panama when it rains of course !

So basically, what do you recommend for me? i'm a bit lost and i don't know where to look when it comes to the fabric...

Thank you very much

I'm in a similar situation. I'd really like a summer weight hat that I can wear in the rain but that also has some style to it.

I have a Tilley (one of the airflow models), and it is great in the rain; however, it is very much a casual hat.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
An umbrella is not a hat. The guy asked about hats.

I often work outside, and when I do, I need the use of both hands. An umbrella is not an option. Does that mean that I have to get drenched in the rain, or is possible that some hat maker in the wold makes a hat that would be of benefit and people on a hat forum just might be able to help find it.

Guess he should have gone to an umbrella forum.

...there's some nice vintage umbrellas out there! The original "quip" was just a joke. As in... Ha ha! Lol! Lmao!

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
hello,

Thank you very much

I second what Fed in a Fedora stated. Purchase yourself a Shantung (paper based hat) that has been shellacked. These hats stand up well to the rain, due to the shellac. I personally own a shantung-made hat just recently was caught in heavy rain fall with it on. The hat held up well and the rain easily ran off. I would also recommend one with some vent holes or a decorative pattern that is visual by openings in the weaving on the crown. As a western/cowboy hat wearer this is very common in the straw hats I look through. I admit I am not very knowledgable on other hat styles. I would hazard to guess, however, that at least a few are available in a fedora style.

Happy Hunting for your new hat and please let us know what you find.

RJR

I have a Peters Brothers natural hemp that handles rain very nicely.If interested call them their website is a mess.

tommyK

One Too Many
There's always one of these;
umbrella-hat-15856187184.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy