Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makeup are you wearing today?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hi, girls! I want to play!

Today I am wearing:

FACE
Benefit Bo-ing Concealer in Light
Revlon PhotoReady Pressed Powder in Fair/Light
Benefit Coralista Box O'Powder Blusher

EYES
Benefit Big Beautiful Eyes Kit - light pearly pink base shadow, cocoa shimmer contour shadow, dark brown liner shadow. I use the liner shadow on my brows, too.
L'Oreal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Liner in Black Mica (top lid only)
Benefit They're Real! Mascara in Black - This really is the best mascara I've tried...and I have tried them all. It almost gives you the look of false eyelashes. It is a real pain in the rear to remove, though.

LIPS
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Really Red

That's all for today. :)

The Benefit eye kit is amazing - i use the liner on my brows too and the contour shadow is such a great colour!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good waterproof mascara? My allergies have been bad lately and my eyes water constantly, so I end up looking like a raccoon an hour after I leave the house. lol I'm not brand loyal necessarily, I'm open to everything from drugstore to department store/Sephora brands.

I'm usually a real snob about drugstore make-up, but honestly, go for Maybelline's Great Lash waterproof. You might find it a little sticky, but the trick is in the light application - and remember to roll the wand at your lash roots.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Can anyone just recommend a decent mascara? I have long lashes, but they are fine and mascara just clumps, i have never been able to get two coats on ever, (even if comb my lashes or after applying the first coat, wipe the wand with a tissue and then re-apply which is what my mum used to do apparently).

I have tried most brands, cheap and expensive, at the moment Benefit Bad Gal is not good, and Max factor 2000 is an old stalwart, which again is good for one coat but still a bit clumpy.

Or are there tips and tricks you use to avoid the clump?

Tatum

Practically Family
Miss Sofia, a few weeks ago I started wearing Maybelline Volume Express One by One... I love it! I have long, pretty thick lashes and everything clumped on me. I tried the One by One because it was not supposed to clump, and it sure lives up to it's name!

Added bonus: it smells like rose water. That really tickled me!

ETA: This stuff.

20110107_bb_250x375.jpg

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I'm going to try both of those! My lashes are naturally dark, and fairly long/thick so I don't necessarily need a lot of volumizing. I just need something that won't run everywhere. lol

The 2 I can think of that I've used that didn't clump at all on me were MAC Studio Fix Lash (the only MAC mascara worth a darn, IMHO), and Diorshow. Diorshow was hands down the most beautiful mascara I'd ever used, but unfortunately I reacted to the formula and can't use it.

Also you might try Chanel Exceptionnel. It has a really unique brush and I never had any issues with clumping.

My experience with drugstore mascaras is limited to pretty much L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, and some Lacura (Aldi store brand). The Lacura is very wet (similar to Lancome Hypnose) so it does clump easily.

Tatum

Practically Family
FWG, I thought I would love the Carbon Black but it clumped badly on me. I don't understand why MAC mascaras are so inferior to the rest of their products, it makes no sense, but I agree with you.

anabolina

A-List Customer
DigThatBeat - Your makeup sounds fabulous!

Fadetoblack - I love Julie Hewett Noir lipsticks, too. Film Noir is one of my favorites!

We're without water at my house right now (having our plumbing redone, super fun) so I went minimal. Today I'm wearing:
Foundation: L'Oreal True Match liquid in N1
Powder: Make Up For Ever HD Powder, Coty Airspun in translucent extra coverage
Eyes: MAC Painterly paint pot, Lacura volume mascara, Lorac auburn brow pencil
Lips: Julie Hewett Film Noir lipstick

I keep meaning to make it over there, but I never seem to get around to it. Is it worth the trip?

The CCO is pretty nice, but I don't know if I would head up there only to go there. You can save some good money, although while it's cheaper than buying in a department store, it's still not cheap. I want to say that MAC lipsticks are $10? But I could be wrong. Also the selection can be hit and miss and the colors can be weird. It's not a particularly large store. It's been 9 months since I've been there(and I live much closer than you in Carrollton) and the last time I went I bought 4 MAC lippies. I also bought a really great Estee Lauder foundation a couple of years ago(it was basically the only foundation in the store with a good color match for me). Unfortunately it was a discontinued foundation so I could never repurchase :-(

This thread inspired me to sort through all my foundations and lip products. Wow, do I have a lot of foundations that are either too dark or too light or too pink. The thing is that I hate to throw them out since they cost money. I know, it's a waste of space... On to more positive endeavors, I discovered an awesome lipcolor in the bottom of my lipstick bag. L'Oreal Infallible Lipcolor in Teaberry. It's a very cool berry-mauve type color and I do love the shiny case :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Or are there tips and tricks you use to avoid the clump?

Unless you want to throw down $46.00 (£28.50) for Diorshow mascara, it's probably better to improve your technique. We used to teach this one at Sephora, and it really works:

Close the eye you're working on, and position the mascara wand at the very base of your lashes. Roll the wand around fully one time before dragging it along the rest of your lashes. Do this three or four times, and then lightly brush the ends of your lashes with the wand to extend them more. Don't put the wand back into the mascara tube - only coat it in mascara once before you start on an eye. The less you use, the less likely it is to clump.

FWG, I thought I would love the Carbon Black but it clumped badly on me. I don't understand why MAC mascaras are so inferior to the rest of their products, it makes no sense, but I agree with you.

Tell me about it - False Lashes is an awful, awful mascara (and I hate to say it because I love every other product MAC makes!)

Last edited:

zombi

A-List Customer
^ Gosh, I don't recall Diorshow costing that much, and it's the mascara I've used for years! It's more like 25$ USD at Sephora here?

Today's...:

Coty Airspun translucent powder
Benefit Dandelion powder used as blush
MAC Ricepaper eyeshadow
Diorshow mascara, chestnut
Chapstick, "rose" tint
Anastasia brow powder, strawburn

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Tatum - i'm going to give the Maybelline a whirl as i'm on a budget and i have a Boots voucher, hurrah. I like the fact it smells of Rosewater, that's enough to do it for me.

C-dot - thanks for the tip, i shall try that first thing tomorrow, i am pretty hopeless generally with Makeup, so thathas been invaluable advice thanks.

Forthworthgal - thanks too! When the coffers are replenished i shall try perhaps the Mac or the Dior.

I used to use Lancome Keracils years ago with no probs, but as with everything these days it seems the formula is not the same - clump city!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Yes I agree, I like L'Oreal Carbon Black, but it does tend to be clumpy. This morning I tried a new Ulta brand waterproof, so we'll see how that works.

Lazy makeup day for me today:
Lancome Dual Finish powder in Matte Porcelaine I
Lorac auburn brown pencil
MAC painterly paint pot on eyes
Ulta Amped Lashes waterproof mascara
CO Bigelow Rose Salve lip balm

This thread inspired me to sort through all my foundations and lip products. Wow, do I have a lot of foundations that are either too dark or too light or too pink. The thing is that I hate to throw them out since they cost money. I know, it's a waste of space...

Seriously?!? You need to sign up for round 2 of the beauty box thread! Don't let those products go to waste! lol

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Anabolina - while i agree you should sign up for the beauty box thread, have you tried mixing some of your foundations to make a shade that's perfect for you? I have successfully done that before when i have totally bought the wrong foundations.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Yes, I've tried mixing foundations and fave gotten some use out of oddly colored foundations in that way, but I have some foundations that are perfect and the ones that aren't are just cluttering up my cabinets.

You inspire me FWG, I'll look forward to signing up during the next round.

rue

Okay I finally stopped being lazy and have my bag of makeup :p

Same thing everyday...

Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation (used on cheeks and around nose)
Cover Girl concealer (not loving it)
Almay truly lasting pressed powder (on eyelids over concealer)
Laura Geller Balance N Brighten face powder :love:
MAC eyeshadow in malt, espresso and gesso (on eyes) Carbon for over liquid eyeliner which is....
Maybelline Stiletto
Clinique eyeliner (for eyebrows) in Black coffee used with....
Clinique brow shaper in charcoaled
Maybelline Mineral Power blush in True Peach
Mac lipliner in Brick
Revlon Matte lipstick in In The Red

No perfume today

zombi

A-List Customer
Today.....

Benefit Lemon Aid eye concealer
MAC eyeshadows, Ricepaper & Woodwinked
MAC fluidline, blacktrack
NARS blush, Orgasm
Anastasia brow powder, Strawburn
Coty Airspun translucent powder
Diorshow mascara, chestnut
Benefit's Benetint rose tinted lip balm

and Shalimar.

Tatum

Practically Family
We used to teach this one at Sephora, and it really works:

Close the eye you're working on, and position the mascara wand at the very base of your lashes. Roll the wand around fully one time before dragging it along the rest of your lashes. Do this three or four times, and then lightly brush the ends of your lashes with the wand to extend them more. Don't put the wand back into the mascara tube - only coat it in mascara once before you start on an eye. The less you use, the less likely it is to clump.

C, do you roll the wand on the upper side of the lashes or the lower? If I did that on the lower side of my upper lashes with my eyes closed, I would have mascara all over my cheekbones, unless I pushed things up a lot!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
At home doing housework today (i.e sitting on my backside drinking tea). I have some kiddies coming for supper so i thought i ought to put some slap on so as not to scare the bejesus out of them!

Clinique airbrush concealer in 02 (love this)
Coty airspun powder in translucent.
Benefit Coralista blusher.
Gosh brow palette on eyebrows
Benefit Bad gal mascara in black, (less clumpy thanks to C-dot's trick, thanks)!
Vaseline on lips.

Rue - how do you find the Laura Geller B and B? I keep ogling it on Qvc!

Can anyone also recommend a good primer? I normally use Estee Lauders which is great, but is really just silicone, so it breaks me out. I switched to Paul and Joe, which is SPF40 and rather nice, but did nothing for me open pores. I'm going shopping soon, in preparation for a weekender, so any recommendations gratefully received here.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
C, do you roll the wand on the upper side of the lashes or the lower? If I did that on the lower side of my upper lashes with my eyes closed, I would have mascara all over my cheekbones, unless I pushed things up a lot!

On the upper side, but it catches the lower lashes when your eye is closed. If you don't want it on your lower lashes, or it strays to your face, just keep your eye open when you apply. :)

Can anyone also recommend a good primer? I normally use Estee Lauders which is great, but is really just silicone, so it breaks me out. I switched to Paul and Joe, which is SPF40 and rather nice, but did nothing for me open pores. I'm going shopping soon, in preparation for a weekender, so any recommendations gratefully received here.

I'm glad you liked the mascara trick!

For skin primer, if you have a more generous budget I recommend Smashbox's Photofinish primer (Smashbox is considered the "primer authority.") Unless you have discoloration issues, the clear one is all you need. If you're wanting something a tad cheaper, as well as pore control, try Too Faced's Primed and Poreless.

(These primers, especially Too Faced's, do not double effectively for eye make-up.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21