Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What men think of women's hairdo's

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
If I were a guy, all I would want is something soft and be able to run fingers through it. It's funny.... when I ask my husband if he liked my new color and style, he always says "of course" and he'd love it no matter how it looks.

But god forbid a woman "let herself go" and not do anything fancy with herself then the man in her life makes a huff about it! Some men (not specifically anyone on the FL) want us to be natural and not worry about how we look.... but then make comments when we don't loook up to their standards (like all -few- ex's of mine). Why is that?

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
PolkaDotMeggie said:
If I were a guy, all I would want is something soft and be able to run fingers through it. It's funny.... when I ask my husband if he liked my new color and style, he always says "of course" and he'd love it no matter how it looks.

But god forbid a woman "let herself go" and not do anything fancy with herself then the man in her life makes a huff about it! Some men (not specifically anyone on the FL) want us to be natural and not worry about how we look.... but then make comments when we don't loook up to their standards (like all -few- ex's of mine). Why is that?

:eek:fftopic:
You have a point there. I just want to know why we're supposed to look natural, but most guys eyes wonder towards women with more makeup. My boyfriend likes natural girls yet all of his ex's and interests had caked on makeup. Hmmm.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
One of the mysteries of the world--something we may never fully understand :) However, I think that women should all feel beautiful and if it means to doll ourselves up, then by all means we should. The key? To feel just as worthy and lovely MINUS hair products/color/whatever.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Brad I was wondering how men felt about the straight look! And actually, women DO spend a lot of time trying to get it as straight as possible! They rake that flat iron through it over and over. I have many clients now with split, fried ends from over-use. So, they're still putting time into it, just a different look.
As a stylist I like many different looks. But I would think from a man's point of view, that wavy/curls would be more enticing.
Nikki

I prefer straighter hair, but I'm Chinese :) Wavy or slightly curly can be nice too, but tightly curled hair doesn't do anything for me.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
PolkaDotMeggie said:

That reminds me of a guy at school, he saw me out of school all dressed up (not vintage, goth) told me how pretty I looked, but that I didn't need the makeup to look pretty. Didn't have an answer when I pointed out that he saw me every day at school without makeup and had never complimented me once without it.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Good point! I love my husband dearly, but I realize I have to do what makes me feel good about myself. Sometimes just having that new cut/color/whatever is enough to energize your soul. Since I gave myself the "makeover" I feel fantastic and confident enough to not have to try and impress. It all goes back to one of the earlier posts... when you FEEL confident and "own" your look, men will love it also ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some men don't know what "natural" looks like. I once told someone that I used some 27 products; he said he thought I was just naturally beautiful. :) So, "natural" looking might mean moderate makeup and a hairstyle that doesn't use a lot of pins or gel. A "natural" looking girl might spend over an hour applying foundation and straightening or waving her hair.

Considering that some wives get up early to put on their face and do their hair, a man could go his whole life without seeing a woman with no makeup and no hair product.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I am surprised, many men seem to like redheads a lot, my first boyfriend who saw me with blonde hair even sad "red hair would look fantastic on you!"...
i will never understand men ;)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Hair that is loved...

Is all I ask for! Color and cut matter less to me than style and confidence. My wife is just about the only woman I've ever known (in 35+ years of experience anyway) who doesn't complain about her hair daily. She only says: "I hate my hair!" every OTHER day. :rolleyes:

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
CharlesB said:
That being said if a girl gets her hair cut and you notice it ALWAYS make a postiive note of it when you see it. Could just make her day or yours

I couldn't agree more. Whenever someone makes a big change physically (hair, makeup, clothes, anything that's a bit of a departure), I always assume people don't like it if they don't comment at all.

Sunny

One Too Many
I am beginning to be very amused at how many women are posting here. :) Not that that's a bad thing! I'm just fascinated by the men's different responses. Keep 'em coming, guys! :eusa_clap

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Hairstyles on women? I'm for it, of course!

Random thoughts, in no particular order:

1. I have no type, blonde, brunette, redhead, I'm a big fan of all three. My wife is a brunette, so I should say that's my favorite, right?

2. I have become a believer in the fact that in hairstyles, unfortunately, you get what you pay for. My wife was always resistent to paying much for her hairstyles. Over the past several years she's been convinced by her law partners to go to better (read: more expensive) places and, as much as I hate to say it, it's made a HUGE difference.

3. While I agree with the prior posters who say that it's not the style, but the confidence that is attractive, it is also my experience that confidence comes from somewhere. You can't just magically summon up confidence and keep it going. It won't work unless you are already a confident person and confident about that aspect of yourself. Makeovers work and can help you find that confidence.

4. Styles can accentuate your strengths and hide your flaws, but it probably will take help to figure out how this applies to you.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree about getting what you pay for. Not everyone can cut hair, and those who can, charge more. Consider that you pay a plumber, what, $75 an hour; I do word processing and I'm billed at about that rate as well. Cutting hair takes just as much skill. Looking at it that way, when I pay $33 for a haircut that takes 1/2 an hour, it seems about right to me. Oh, and I almost never have a bad hair day. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace