Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
"Business casual" is one step below "business", which means dress trousers, button-up collared shirts, preferably at least a sport coat, perhaps a tie, but usually not mandatory. Khakis and polo shirts are not indicated. Certainly not jeans. If you were allowed to wear jeans, the dress code was considerably less formal than "business casual". They may have called it that, but it was not.

And this gets back to another point...it's to the point nowadays where for many guys, khakis and a polo are the dressiest thing they own, and they consider anything above cargo shorts and flip flops to be "dressy".

Interesting stuff, I never knew business casual had an actual definition! I'm one of very few in my office that wears actual dress shoes. I think our dress code excludes "athletic sneakers" but plenty of people where hiking/work boots, etc.

ltedge

New in Town
I work at the largest office building in the US with about 24,000 employees total and see everything from VERY short leopard print mini skirts with stilettos all the way up to very nice buisness suits for women. I've even seen women come in yoga pants and flip flops with a tank top (plus jacket to cover the arms). On the other hand most men are in slacks/khakis with at least a button down shirt. Seems like a double standard, jeans for a man around here would be too casual (except for the service workers).

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Bowling shoes seem to be the popular choice for many of they youngsters around here. I'm not sure why.

That's one I haven't seen yet... weird..

I work at the largest office building in the US with about 24,000 employees total and see everything from VERY short leopard print mini skirts with stilettos all the way up to very nice buisness suits for women. I've even seen women come in yoga pants and flip flops with a tank top (plus jacket to cover the arms). On the other hand most men are in slacks/khakis with at least a button down shirt. Seems like a double standard, jeans for a man around here would be too casual (except for the service workers).

Here it is such too... men must wear closed toe, women can wear flip/flops etc... women can wear capri's etc.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I haven't caught up to all of this thread but did anyone see the article here maybe a week ago that in clothing culture jeans are going the way of suits, & leggings/yoga pants are the new clothes to wear for everything?
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/denim-real-danger-going-out-fashion-n176211

That's... unfortunate, but not unforseen.. Since jeans are now "dressing up" (seen at churches and offices) then casual must be something less than jeans. I do know I've seen plenty of "guys" in baggy sweatpants, gym/"basketball" shorts, or pajama pants out and about.

Here's an interesting and relevant blog entry for those of you who have the time (I have no connection to AOM, just an avid reader)
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/...ay-why-every-man-should-embrace-the-jeremiad/

However this trend goes way way back, nothing new. At least a steady decline in "dressiness" since Victorian times.. I remember reading that "broguing" (the decorative perforations on wingtip or captoe shoes) had the original function of allowing water to drain out of shoes as you went through the bog... now they're a common feature of "dress" shoes. I also recall that what's today considered a "dress shirt" was at one time considered an undergarment, and so on and so forth...

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's... unfortunate, but not unforseen.. Since jeans are now "dressing up" (seen at churches and offices) then casual must be something less than jeans. I do know I've seen plenty of "guys" in baggy sweatpants, gym/"basketball" shorts, or pajama pants out and about.

Here's an interesting and relevant blog entry for those of you who have the time (I have no connection to AOM, just an avid reader)
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/...ay-why-every-man-should-embrace-the-jeremiad/.

That's actually a very good essay for all of us, men and women alike. Some of the great jeremaidists of all time have been women, the most notable in the Era being Dorothy Thompson, the "American Cassandra." A generation that can only whine and protest under the harsh, pointing finger of condemnation is a generation deserving of condemnation.

Nice also to see the Socrates quote debunked. As Demosthenes once said, "You can't believe everything you see on the internet."

Bowling shoes seem to be the popular choice for many of they youngsters around here. I'm not sure why.

I have heard of that around here but it is more popular in Southern California from what I understand. Just what you need to wear on a polished floor---shoes specifically designed to slide. lol lol
I guess I am in style now when I go to the bowling alley and put them on. :p

I haven't caught up to all of this thread but did anyone see the article here maybe a week ago that in clothing culture jeans are going the way of suits, & leggings/yoga pants are the new clothes to wear for everything?
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/denim-real-danger-going-out-fashion-n176211

:clap: :clap: :clap: Not so much for the alternative but have always hate the tin suit pants that denim is. They never were comfortable to me. If they disappear then good riddance! Part of the hippie uniform will be gone. Next up---t-shirts worn as shirts----not the underwear that they are.

Not exactly an invention or innovation, but computer hackers and the low-lifes that create computer viruses. One of these malicious things hit my laptop last night while I was doing a Google search--it just started installing itself without my knowledge, highjacked and corrupted the browsers (Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome), and keeps displaying "pop ups" on my desktop screen advising me to "use the free backup software you've just installed to safeguard your personal information." I'm not normally a violent person, but as far as I'm concerned the punishment for the first offense should be the surgical removal of their hands and eyes so they can't continue being a blight on society and costing businesses and private persons countless hours and dollars undoing the damage they've caused. And if they somehow find a way to continue without those body parts, the punishment for the second offense? Off with their heads! :rage:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Not exactly an invention or innovation, but computer hackers and the low-lifes that create computer viruses. One of these malicious things hit my laptop last night while I was doing a Google search--it just started installing itself without my knowledge, highjacked and corrupted the browsers (Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome), and keeps displaying "pop ups" on my desktop screen advising me to "use the free backup software you've just installed to safeguard your personal information." I'm not normally a violent person, but as far as I'm concerned the punishment for the first offense should be the surgical removal of their hands and eyes so they can't continue being a blight on society and costing businesses and private persons countless hours and dollars undoing the damage they've caused. And if they somehow find a way to continue without those body parts, the punishment for the second offense? Off with their heads! :rage:

I completely loathe those whom make malware. They are one of the reasons to never apply for a job online, do online banking, and other things which can easily be affected by hackers and malware creators. Just one click, and one of these scammers can install their vile creation to your computer, and steal personal information, or destroy your data.

I recommend you get Malwarebytes, it's a free malware scanner, and it is very accurate. It has removed plenty of stuff that Norton cannot. However, it is not a replacement of a traditional Anti-Virus. It is more of a scanner, so you still need another program. If you do get it, don't activate the trial, since that can conflict with other security programs you may have.

...I recommend you get Malwarebytes, it's a free malware scanner, and it is very accurate...
I've been using Malwarebytes for quite some time now. In fact, my "shut down" ritual consists of running CCleaner to clear the various caches, an anti-virus quick scan, and a Malwarebytes scan, all of which usually takes about 15-20 minutes including updates to the databases. Unfortunately, even Malwarebytes couldn't completely remove whatever was done last night, so our "computer guru" got more of our business today.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
What are you, an idiot? The first offense should be decapitation.

Don't be soft, man. It makes them think they can keep doing it. And if they think they can, they will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari