Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
What about them? If you think they were truly great bands, we're not even talking the same language.

Well, there is always Frankie Goes to Hollywood, or perhaps The Flying Lizards.;)

My tongue was planted quite firmly in my cheek when I was writing that earlier post, Mr. Hawk. I am sorry that did not convey my intended meaning.

Getting back to the Era, though, I wonder whether you would hear any substantial qualitative difference between the work of, say, Erskine Tate's Vendome Orchestra, The Chocolate Dandies, Gene Goldkette's Book-Cadillac Orchestra, Fletcher Henderson's Connie's Inn Orchestra and that of, oh, Herbert Berger's Voight Hotel Orchestra, Paul Tremaine's Orchestra, The Radiolites , Adrian Schubert's Orchestra, or The Buffalodians.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
:p:D
Nothing says '80s like...

[video=youtube;QDWlNv5XFFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWlNv5XFFM[/video]

I always associate them with late 1970's Thursday afternoons in the courtyard of Mather Memorial, back I the days of "Jocko Homo" and "Mongaloid". I still have a (cracked and badly worn, alas) cylinder recording of "Jocko Homo" which I took after assisting in the engineering of a live broadcast on WRUW, our little ten-watt wonder.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I just thought of something funny today. While standing in line, I noticed, the young women in front of me was wearing a Beatles T-Shirt. Her parents probably weren't born when they came over here. When was the last time you saw a young women wearing a Bing Crosby shirt?

I don't understand why people think of 70's music and focus on disco. That's like saying the 60's music sucked because all there was was Fabian and Pat Boone.
It's probably for the same reason people tend to remember the bad things that happened in their lives more than the good things. :D Also, though I'm not a fan of the genre by any measure, I have to admit disco had a huge impact on the music scene (at least here in the U.S.) in the 1970s. People who loved it really loved it, and people who hated it really hated it, so regardless of where your loyalties lie the good/bad memories are ingrained.

EVERYTHING he and the Beatles were involved with was/is pop pablum. :rofl: You made my point for me. lol lo
If you really believe that, I'd hate to know which bands you deem "worthy". lol

I just thought of something funny today. While standing in line, I noticed, the young women in front of me was wearing a Beatles T-Shirt. Her parents probably weren't born when they came over here...
This sounds like one of those "urban legend" stories, and if I hadn't been there I probably wouldn't believe it myself, but years ago I was in a local music store and noticed a young girl perusing Beatle albums (yes, it was that long ago). A minute or two later she called out to her friend, "I didn't know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings." :eusa_doh:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Well now, I perhaps think from many sources/styles of Music back in the day, still remains very much alive and listened to. Have to say, the Beatles were way ahead of their time and have a deep following. Other groups/bands that at some point can jar one's memory, like Steely Dan, Eric Clapton, Righteous Brothers, Eagles, Roy Orbison, Rolling Stones and most of what came out from MoTown. In our household, however, aside from the factors we do not partake in "rap"...(my GOD who can really call THAT music), there is not much we would not listen to, from the big bands, to any of the classical icons. Music has a inspirational connection to our Nation and our society, and not inspirational in just a spiritual sense but also a motivational sense. "the home...of the free....". Each person can more or less recall a part of life that music connects to their events, things they did or places they have gone. In more ways then one, some of the true showman/showoman that gave us some great entertainment may have has something about them personally we may have not approved of, but the talent they produced far outshined their personal issues....can we get a shout out for Liberace? lol!

Well, there is always Frankie Goes to Hollywood, or perhaps The Flying Lizards.;)

My tongue was planted quite firmly in my cheek when I was writing that earlier post, Mr. Hawk. I am sorry that did not convey my intended meaning.

Getting back to the Era, though, I wonder whether you would hear any substantial qualitative difference between the work of, say, Erskine Tate's Vendome Orchestra, The Chocolate Dandies, Gene Goldkette's Book-Cadillac Orchestra, Fletcher Henderson's Connie's Inn Orchestra and that of, oh, Herbert Berger's Voight Hotel Orchestra, Paul Tremaine's Orchestra, The Radiolites , Adrian Schubert's Orchestra, or The Buffalodians.

Ok, I'm still not sure of your point. That there were mediocre bands in the 80's? I couldn't agree more. But I'd certainly disagree that mediocrity is a "modern" phenomenon.

In the mean time, I'll give my sarcasm meter a swift kick.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

My personal litmus test for understanding music is being able to grasp the essential difference in quality between Kay Kyser and Blue Barron.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
My personal litmus test for understanding music is being able to grasp the essential difference in quality between Kay Kyser and Blue Barron.

That's a far more subtitle difference.

With that I mind I shall put a copy of "Johnny Doughboy Found a Rose in Ireland"/"Cowboy Serenade" on the machine

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I just thought of something funny today. While standing in line, I noticed, the young women in front of me was wearing a Beatles T-Shirt. Her parents probably weren't born when they came over here. When was the last time you saw a young women wearing a Bing Crosby shirt?

Go to the Hat section. You'll see dozens of men wearing fedoras and Hawaiian shirts -- which didn't exist as a style statement until one H. Lillis Crosby came on the scene.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I'm still not sure of your point. That there were mediocre bands in the 80's? I couldn't agree more. But I'd certainly disagree that mediocrity is a "modern" phenomenon.

In the mean time, I'll give my sarcasm meter a swift kick.
To steer us back a bit...THE MUSIC VIDEO
I'm in the same age range HH.
Yes there were some mediocre bands from that era, and unfortunately the music video for many brought them more fame than they deserved.
Now don't get me wrong, some videos I actually enjoyed based on numerous factors.
While the 60's had the British "rock" invasion, the 80's had the British "metal" invasion, of which I was (and still am) a fan.
I won't name bands here, because I don't want to debate whether you do or do not see them as good musicians.
Each generation has music that they feel identifies with them, and mine actually stretches from the 60's through the 80's.
As for the B word, I don't talk about them.
I can't for the life of me find one of their songs I enjoy, but I'm not saying they aren't talented.
Someone had to take music into another direction, it's just the progression of society.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I just heard of a new dance craze that's sweeping Europe. Seems, the dancer swirl around in a sexual frenzy, and rub bodies together in the most explicit fashion imaginable. And, if that is not enough, women are now showing way to much skin while participating in this new dance. I am completely shocked beyond belief! We must stop this dance before it is to late, and people are doing it around the world! This is the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it? I am sure you all know the dance I am speaking of, The Vienna Waltz! [video=youtube;Zrv-J8JA_Go]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrv-J8JA_Go[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Hartz Mountain Master Canaries made a much better recording of that piece c. 1945.

What bugs me most about the bulk of rock-era music is its insincerity and its joyless self-importance. Forget about "art," forget about "having something to say," would it kill you to at least look like you were enjoying yourself? All these skinny, sullen white people sitting on stools banging tonelessly away on guitars -- how do you even tell them apart?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner