Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I concur. Recently I've seen television commercials for a smartphone app that allows you to order food from local restaurants (that will subsequently be delivered to your front door), and they're very proud of the fact that this app will enable the user to do so "without having to talk to a human being" (or whatever the tagline is). I'm sure there are people out there who wasted no time in downloading this app, but all I could think was, "Wow, that's pathetic."

Even more appalling are the "self check-out" kiosks at the local supermarkets and other retail stores. Setting the issue of human interaction aside for a moment, if/when these become the standard and shoppers will have to scan and bag their own goods, it will eliminate the need for the employees that currently do so and likely lead to their unemployment. "Steel collar" workers may or may not be as efficient in the workplace as human beings, but their ever-increasing presence begs the question: When every task is automated, how will people earn a living?

So I hate most of those Apps. The only App I like to use to order food is the one for Five Guys. This is simply because the local people at our shop don't understand how to make their own veggie sandwich. Like it says, the veggie sandwich is all of the veggies they have on a bun. For whatever reason, when they see it on the screen they understand that it is more than one strip of pepper on a bun. Now, when I go to other Five Guys, they seem to understand that the veggie sandwich has veggies (plural) on it.

I hate the kiosks. I refuse to use them. I also refuse to use ATMs (unless I am traveling) under the same principle. Hire a person to make chit chat with me.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Smartphones. The entire social behavior of humanity has been altered because of these devices. Rather than reading or talking to one another, people just shove their face into a phone and never look up from it. It's sad, really.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sad !

We can only blame ourselves for all the crime & violence today.
We removed all the phone booths and now he has nowhere to change.

i26j49.png

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Smartphones. The entire social behavior of humanity has been altered because of these devices. Rather than reading or talking to one another, people just shove their face into a phone and never look up from it. It's sad, really.
I've seen that at my inlaws.
Substitute smart phone with laptop/kindle and you get the picture.
I'm the only one that really doesn't do that, unless I'm on here or a few other sites, but certainly not all day.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I've seen that at my inlaws.
Substitute smart phone with laptop/kindle and you get the picture.
I'm the only one that really doesn't do that, unless I'm on here or a few other sites, but certainly not all day.

Same here, especially when company is over. I just find it rude to pull out your phone when you're entertaining.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*People who think dyeing their armpit hair a novelty color is a bold feminist statement. You wanna make a bold feminist statement? Round up a bunch of Guatamalan nannies and organize them into a union.

*Any person who at any time in their lives has ever called a clerk in a coffee shop "my barista." News flash to all the latte-sippers out there -- no person who punches a clock for a living is "your" anything. They might serve you but you do not own them.

*The word "iconic," when used to describe anything that isn't a medieval religious painting or statue. Or when used, under any circumstances, to describe a type of Greek architectural column.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I remember when chicks used to dye themselves completely.

iggrj4.png

And there are chicks who find nose earrings appealing !

But around the eyes, unless it's just stick-on...the process to
insert a pin must be :scared:

Just sayin'

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I remember when chicks used to dye themselves completely.

iggrj4.png

And there are chicks who find nose earrings appealing !

But around the eyes, unless it's just stick-on...the process to
insert a pin must be :scared:

Just sayin'

[video=youtube;MBpthkOFPvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpthkOFPvA[/video]

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have conflicting views on mobile telephones:

Text messaging is great: Everyone knows that men hate speaking on telephones. The text message reduces conversations to essentials, like 'See u in pub. 4pm'.

But I always look back to my youth and realise we were able to make arrangements and stick to them. If it was Thursday andyou said 'Let's got to the pub on Saturday night' everyone would turn up. If you were late you couldn't make excuses and so would just be left behind. Nowadays mobile phones just make it too easy for people to be late. They think it's ok that they couldn't be bothered to get ready on time since the phone gives them a chance to say 'I'll see you when i get there etc'. So the mobile just facilitates bad manners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner