Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

Stormy

A-List Customer
People don't understand why I refuse to use a GPS. When I tell them that I prefer to use my brain, they just don't get it. I believe that "if we don't use it, we lose it."

Lotsahats

One Too Many
The sign above Jesus' head was written in those three languages so that the people present would understand what was being written;
Such a statement wouldn't have been written in Hebrew, and Greek is equally questionable. The lingua Franca of the day and region was Aramaic. Just throwing in my $.02.

A

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
I was taught never to fiddle with the radio while driving a car. Wait for a stop light. This was at a time when the radio was really the only thing in the car to distract you. (Unless you had a date in the car) I am completely horrified by the inclusion as standard equipment of any sort of touch screen/back-up camera/side view camera/GPS/Starbucks locator or anything else that is designed to get you to take your eyes off the road while you're driving. "Lost? pay no attention to what is out the windshield! That will just confuse you! Look down here while you're driving!" 34 years as a motorcyclist have made me very grumpy about anything innovation that will A) distract drivers or B) make driving so effortless that people forget to pay attention.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I was taught never to fiddle with the radio while driving a car. Wait for a stop light. This was at a time when the radio was really the only thing in the car to distract you. (Unless you had a date in the car) I am completely horrified by the inclusion as standard equipment of any sort of touch screen/back-up camera/side view camera/GPS/Starbucks locator or anything else that is designed to get you to take your eyes off the road while you're driving. "Lost? pay no attention to what is out the windshield! That will just confuse you! Look down here while you're driving!" 34 years as a motorcyclist have made me very grumpy about anything innovation that will A) distract drivers or B) make driving so effortless that people forget to pay attention.

+1 just to add I heard a story(can't prove)that someone drove into a lake because they were paying attention to the directions being given by his GPS system instead of looking out the window.Go figure.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Such a statement wouldn't have been written in Hebrew, and Greek is equally questionable. The lingua Franca of the day and region was Aramaic. Just throwing in my $.02.

A

It was actually written in all three languages: Latin was the language of the Romans, Aramaic of the Palestinian Jews, and Greek was the language of trade (lingua franca, we would say).

Stormy

A-List Customer
How modern is a flash light? At times I wish it was not made, as it can be fun to stumble around the house without one when it is pitch black and I am trying to find the love of my life! lol!

WOW!! I just love this post, LoveMyHats. It makes me realize how anti-romantic many inventions can be.

How modern is a flash light? At times I wish it was not made, as it can be fun to stumble around the house without one when it is pitch black and I am trying to find the love of my life! lol!

I dunno, it looks vintage enough for me. ;)

007bond.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
I know my most hated invention is the mainstay of most of your collections and probably wardrobes. Ebay. I'm sick of it. Not the concept, but what it has become.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I dunno, it looks vintage enough for me. ;)

007bond.jpg

1899_Eveready_flashlight_zps29f3d764.jpg

We've had these useful appliances thruought the Twentieth Century, though their efficiency and popularity increased tremedously after 1909, when McCandless introduced the tungsten filament flash-light bulb, which gave more than three times the light for a given battery consumption. By 1920 the flashlight was found in almost every home (and in almost every automobile tool-box).

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Latin was a language for the scholar and cleric only. Not for the the common working folks. The "church" burned people at the stake for translating the bible into common languages i.e, English, French, German, Italian.
It stated the goal was:
1) to protect the Bible itself from inaccurate translation.
2) to keep the people from reading it privately and forming their own ideas.
During the same period the "church" militarized and made it a goal to rid the "holy land" of the infidel.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Someone mentioned it a few pages back, but I really dislike having to use loyalty cards to get the better prices on things at the Supermarket. I'm an old guy, single, no kids at home anymore and now I'm tempted to go buy diapers...

While redneck culture is a goofy pain in the rear, it DOES keep most New Yorkers and Californian's out of Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Texas. Montana didn't show off their culture fast enough and now Ted Turner owns most (a large portion) of the state (if memory serves).

Later

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I know my most hated invention is the mainstay of most of your collections and probably wardrobes. Ebay. I'm sick of it. Not the concept, but what it has become.
Hoorah Hoorah for that man there!
And yes I've probably had around 6 continental holidays on the proceeds of selling old junk:eusa_clap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany