Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

A little late to the discussion, but I can't believe no one has mentioned the beginning of the end of civilization...the disposable razor. And while I'm at it, I'm not particularly fond of ballpoint pens either.

The concept of items that were a lifetime purchase (if not abused) becoming totally disposable was a sales revolution.
Unfortunately the limited lifetime / disposable concept has moved on to many items especially in electronics.

The concept of items that were a lifetime purchase (if not abused) becoming totally disposable was a sales revolution.
Unfortunately the limited lifetime / disposable concept has moved on to many items especially in electronics.

Agreed. I'm glad there are certain things that are for one-time or limited-time use, but good grief that doesn't mean that everything has to be.

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
Ball point pens and cell phones. Need I say more? Both are obnoxious and in the end wind up costing you more money.

Cell phones, or mobiles, as we call them here, I loath and detest... they are invasive objects that turn people into zombies. Having a meal with my wife the other day, and the couple sitting on the next table spent the entire time staring into their respective phones, the only time I saw them communicate with each other was when they showed each other something on the screen... and you see this all the time, even whole families, each in their own little mobile world - plus I've been talking to someone, and mid conversation they pull their phone to check messages... can't it bloody wait!!!. And don't get me started on people driving while texting, or phoning, which is illegal for obvious reasons... One day I swear I am going to ram someone’s phone down their ####### throat... or just smash it to pieces under my foot.

Ah, that feels better :D

Last edited:
Cell phones, or mobiles, as we call them here, I loath and detest... they are invasive objects that turn people into zombies. Having a meal with my wife the other day, and the couple sitting on the next table spent the entire time staring into their respective phones, the only time I saw them communicate with each other was when they showed each other something on the screen... and you see this all the time, even whole families, each in their own little mobile world - plus I've been talking to someone, and mid conversation they pull their phone to check messages... can't it bloody wait!!!. And don't get me started on people driving while texting, or phoning, which is illegal for obvious reasons... One day I swear I am going to ram someone’s phone down their ####### throat... or just smash it to pieces under my foot.

Ah, that feels better :D

So...how do you feel about mobile phones?

Seriously though, mobile phones are a great invention. I love having one. But like any other invention, when it singularly controls your life, you've got a problem.

TheGamine

New in Town
I work with a bunch of other 20-somethings like myself and at break time they all take out their cell phones and start texting or talking, you can't talk to any of them face to face. It really bums me out because I would like to get to know some of them better, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. It's hard to talk on the job because it's so loud and I know the supervisor would rather we not.

Jack Patch

Familiar Face
Reality T.V.
The "24 hour news cycle".
Plastic (way to overused)
Made in China, Taiwan, Pakistan, etc.
Rap
MTV anything
Work from home, I want to relax at home.
D.D.T.
S.U.V.s
Dollar Coins the size of a quarter.
The penny
A card for every store so I can get the special deals. My wallet is only so big.
Walmart
Box stores

I'm sure their will be more.....

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Exactly WHY I hate cellphones or mobilephones is because they force you to be connected to everyone else every hour of the day. And sometimes, you just don't WANT that. It irritates me no end.

Whenever I make contact with someone, I INSIST that they call me ON my household telephone.

I mean seriously, would you WANT to hold a conversation with someone over the phone, about something that might be rather important, while you're standing at a busy intersection in the middle of town, at 4:30 in the afternoon at rush-hour? I don't!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mine has an on/off switch. I use it regularly.

Exactly. I refuse to pick up the house phone if I am busy with something more important: dinner, playtime with my daughter, etc. It's my home, and I can control if outsiders come into my space or not. We're not at the beck and call of technology. If it's an emergency of some kind, I am sure they will call back and leave a message. It's rarely ever an emergency.

All those people who complain that telemarketers call during dinner just need to turn the ringer off, sit down to eat, and ignore the outside world. Believe me, chances are that phone call is not important. It's a sick society that's decided that someone far far away who's calling you is more important than the people sitting around the dinner table with you. (This is not a modern phenomenon, I know plenty of people who answer the house phone during dinner of all ages and I've seen it happen in all sorts of homes.)

Unfortunately, many employers require their employees to be available 24/7. This is a little more difficult to resist, but at least you can use call screening to know if it's a work call or not.

I don't think it's any different if you get up from dinner or a conversation to answer a house phone (landline) than it is to sit there and text on your cellphone or answer a call on your cellphone. They are both rude. I find it fascinating that people are offended by someone taking a cellphone call during a meal but not offended by someone taking a landline call.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
If I don't want to answer it, even if it's my employer, I use the following claim..."must have been in a dead spot." :D
Voicemail will reveal who's calling, if it's important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner