Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What old fashioned traditions do you have for Christmas???

Foofoogal

Banned
my mothers family have a supper
Do they still call the evening meal supper in Australia? Still wondering why we are changing it here in the USA. It was breakfast, dinner and supper for me as a child.
Texas thing maybe?

LordBest

Practically Family
Supper, as I have been brought up with it, is a meal that follows the evening meal, perhaps two or three hours after. Breakfast, Luncheon, Dinner, Supper.

/|\

One of the Regulars
Nowadays I see decorations up around Halloween.

Could we say an old-fashioned tradition would include keeping Thanksgiving a stand-alone event?

I agree. IMO Christmas decorations and store displays should not go up until the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The whole family used to go to Grandma's on Xmas Eve night and Xmas day. Now we just go over Xmas eve night for a nice dinner and to exchange gifts.

My step dad put an end to opening gifts on Xmas eve with my immediate family, and my honey put an end to it at my own house. :( So we all open gifts Xmas day.

p71towny

Familiar Face
We put up the "festivus pole" and share our grievances. Not really, the decorations go up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I feel Thanksgiving is really that Thursday through Sunday. Give us time to enjoy it people, geesh. I'm gonna put lights up outside this year, however they are the LED lights that I don't much care for, and I might just sh!t can em for good old C7's. I think C7s look wayyy better anyhow. LED light has some sort of frequency that bothers my eyes and doesn't allow them to focus. I'd like to find vintage Christmas ornaments as I only have a couple over 50yrs.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Do they still call the evening meal supper in Australia? Still wondering why we are changing it here in the USA. It was breakfast, dinner and supper for me as a child.
Texas thing maybe?

My grandma says supper, but for me dinner has always been the big meal of the day. On week days that is in the evening, but on Sundays and Holidays, in the afternoon, probably around 1 or 2.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I agree. IMO Christmas decorations and store displays should not go up until the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S.

Christmas is from December 25-Jan 6th (or thereabouts). I think that the day after Thanksgiving is a little excessive, and what they have been doing recently is just absurd.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I think that the day after Thanksgiving is a little excessive, and what they have been doing recently is just absurd.

Yeah, we don't even think about decorating until December 5th (saint nicholas eve). No movies, music, etc until at least then.

I'm ready to shoot my television, after hearing the Overstock.com commercial 3 times in a row this morning.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The satellite service that provides our pre-show walk-in music went to a 24-hour Christmas music format on November 15th. They pulled that last year and took me by surprise, but this year I was ready with a load of non-Xmas stuff of my own to run until *I* decide people need to hear Christmas music. (December 23rd, perhaps.)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, we don't even think about decorating until December 5th (saint nicholas eve). No movies, music, etc until at least then.

We always decorated after my brother's birthday (Dec. 6th). However, we do have Advent decorations which are independent of Christmas, and go up with the beginning of Advent. Creches go up early though, and some of them stay up all year. However, the big one does not include wise men until Epiphany, and if there is a removable Jesus, he is not there until Christmas.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
We poke holes into oranges, fill the holes with individual cloves (the spice), and hang them here and there. The fragrance is superb and somehow evocative of the season.

/|\

One of the Regulars
The satellite service that provides our pre-show walk-in music went to a 24-hour Christmas music format on November 15th. They pulled that last year and took me by surprise, but this year I was ready with a load of non-Xmas stuff of my own to run until *I* decide people need to hear Christmas music. (December 23rd, perhaps.)

They don't play the Christmas music I listen to!

Oi! To The World -- No Doubt

Twelve Days Of Christmas -- The Yobs (Warning: Naughty lyrics)

A Gun For Christmas -- The Vandals

And of course...

The best Christmas song ever...

A Fairytale of New York -- The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl.

/|\

One of the Regulars
The way things are going, I fear that store's Christmas decorations will go up and Christmas promotions will start happening before my birthday (June 12th).

moonmatrix

Familiar Face
For my family the tree doesnt go up till after my moms b-day, a walk in the snow to look at x mas lights, christmas eve is at the boyfriends Grandmothers house, and christmas day is ALWAYS at my moms, I have yet in 34 years to miss it at her house and never plan to. My christmas music is Trans Siberia Orchestra, my neighbors hate it and I love it all the more for that reason. My family trades ornaments each year. I alsomake ornaments every year out of beadwoven netting. Those ornaments are quickly becoming family heirlooms.

Bingles

A-List Customer
In addition to watching the Christmas movie staples, my Christmas decorations are a big part of my holiday. Many of them belonged to my Grandparents. I have many of their old ornaments on my tree as well as their original nativity set that they bought their first Christmas together back in 1953. Baby Jesus does not get put into the manager until Christmas Eve.

rue

Those of you that don't like Christmas until after Thanksgiving or later are not alone. My husband practically has a coronary every year when he sees all the Christmas stuff out right after Halloween.

To me though, it was the only time I remember everyone getting along in my family, because my mom put her foot down on any disagreements and so I look forward to the Christmas season more than any other.

It's the one time of year that people are kinder to their fellow man whether they're a Christian or not. The air is filled with magic and the kids are full of excitement over Santa coming. It's truly my favorite time of year.

I know it hasn't been the joyous occasion for everyone that it was for me as a child (like my husband), but I wish people could have a little understanding over the rush to get to that happy place that, it seems, so little of us still enjoy. At least he now understands why I love it so and indulges me ;)

Anywho..... Back on topic with old fashioned Christmas traditions.....

Every year we cut down a fresh Christmas tree at a local farm while enjoying hot chocolate and sometimes apple cider. Later the tree is brought inside, we turn on the Christmas carols and my husband puts the lights on. Then he sits back and relaxes while the kids and I decorate it with all our family ornaments. Lastly my daughter is lifted up to put the angel on the top and afterwards we enjoy the tree and have a wonderful conversation until the kids head off to bed. Then my husband and I open a bottle of our wedding wine and put on our wedding ornaments together. It's the perfect way to start the season :)

dnjan

One Too Many
Christmas is from December 25-Jan 6th (or thereabouts). I think that the day after Thanksgiving is a little excessive, and what they have been doing recently is just absurd.

And decorations stay up until January 6. It always bothers me to see Christmas trees out on the curb for pick-up a couple of days after Christmas.

Someone must have informed our local boy scout troop (they pick up trees after Christmas as a fund-raiser). They are finally scheduling their pick-up day for the weekend after January 6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo