Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What other things do jacket junkies feel it's not ok to go for the cheapest option

Beast

New in Town
Quite an interesting remark. Without any ill-meaning intent; do you have a source for that claim? I'd like to know more!
The *insert your local cheapskate-folk here* jokes are really old, I'm willing to bet a virtual coin that the same joke is known with Scotsmen in England.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like a decent watch & would rather look at it than a phone for the time, in fact I often deliberately go out without my cell phone especially if I'm out with the hound. Makes me laugh when people complain that they'd phoned me & are annoyed that I'd had the audacity to go out without it.

I wear a brass bangle near permanently & a chunky silver ID bracelet (made for me locally) in case I forget who I am :)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am Trevor!!!! I have a Maxpedition bag that was originally designed for carrying a concealed weapon..currently carrying my 'Raspberry' Filofax amongst other things..the shame :)

Edward

Bartender
The *insert your local cheapskate-folk here* jokes are really old, I'm willing to bet a virtual coin that the same joke is known with Scotsmen in England.

It is indeed.

And in Northern Ireland, the same gags are made with the target being people from the town of Ballymena (hometown of Liam Neeson). The 'Irish jokes' made by the English are made by the French about Belgians. I rather suspect that any culture which holds itself up as exceptional would, on analysis, turn out to be full of rather more universalisms than they would find comfortable.

Edward

Bartender
I am Trevor!!!! I have a Maxpedition bag that was originally designed for carrying a concealed weapon..currently carrying my 'Raspberry' Filofax amongst other things..the shame :)

I'd rather be Trevor than his sneering, macho-obsessed, self-hating backpack.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Doctor Damage,
That was a pretty funny article, thanks. I kind of laugh at Trevors internally, but if they're happy, it's nothing to do with me; I certainly wouldn't get kind of angry about it like the guy identifying as the backpack. His anger was hilarious.
The link contained a link to a similar article on 'carabiner guys' which made me laugh too. I have a big chunky carabiner that I bought from a mountaineering store years ago so that I can slip my shopping bags on it and carry them home (Japanese stores use plastic shopping bags, and when you load them up with groceries, the handles stretch out and cut into your hands. Well, that's my excuse).
But yeah, clipping a carabiner to your bag has become a kind of shorthand for 'at weekends I'm a outdoorsman' or something.

zebedee

One Too Many
It's preferable to cargo-trouser-and-fabric-tactical belt-wearing 'mall ninjas'.

I do own a Leatherman 'Wingman'- by far the most useful domestic item I've purchased, although it lives in the apartment. Military surplus canvas bags are great for laptops- no-one would believe you're carrying anything expensive in one...

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I never carry serious multitools + flashlight + folding knives + carabiner + paracord wristband + whistle + diamond tipped windshield breaker pen + field notes notebook ... too tactical for my life thus borderline costuming for most

I do carry keychain size vic rambler sak it has anything I need in very compact size that can hang dangling as keychain + key organizer that also a mini file and bottle opener , and a usb flashdisk, anything else I have as app on my smartphone like mini ruler, flashlight, used to carry a pen, but now I just type or read memos on my mobile.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Quite an interesting remark. Without any ill-meaning intent; do you have a source for that claim? I'd like to know more!

No, it's more than that - many such epithets were quite specifically invented by the English in the 17th century to disparage people from the Netherlands as part of the two culture's endless and antediluvian competitions and skirmishes. Essentially the English liked to smear anything they didn't like or thought of as beastly as 'Dutch'. Hence the terms Dutch Auction, A Dutch Uncle, A Dutch wife, Dutch Courage, Dutch Roll, Dutch agreement, etc, etc. My source of this knowledge is a University education, but you can look it up easily enough. Just saying.

And yes, they did say similar awful things about the Scottish and Irish folk. But those are the sins of history and I hold no antipathy towards the English, it is simply interesting that this form of thoughtless prejudice endures in odd expressions.

And no, I didn't really take offence, I just wanted to mention it.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@zebedee, 'mall ninjas' lol!
Yeah, that's a bad look.

My wife gave me a really nice laptop bag a few years ago, but I had to stop using it because so many times I could see people inching their way toward it in coffee shops and bars, knowing there was a laptop inside.
Every time I moved it to the other side of the chair, the 'inchers' suddenly got up and left. One guy actually picked it up from next to my chair and started walking towards the door with it once. I noticed straight away and told him in very direct Japanese to put my bag down or I was going hurt him. Everybody noticed me 'making a scene' and he was very 'apologetic', I told him where to go.
I changed to the type of canvas bag that Jack Bauer (not that I'm proud of that now!) used, no one ever paid it any notice. Never carry anything now if I can avoid it. I'm too lazy.

@navetsea, I never carry any tools like that because I can do without the hassle when the police stop and search me. I have one at home that I use when my wife moves all the normal tools and I can't find them.

Beast

New in Town
@Seb Lucas My university education must be slowly becoming rusty, or my google bubble reflects my major: I'm not getting hits explaining the dutch jokes, but a lot of great papers about jokes, their use in language in general and linguistics. Great stuff and indeed very interesting! If you do happen to have a link to a paper/source of some sort, I'd love to read it. I'm guessing it would be beyond the scope of this thread/forum to continue this debate here, but a PM perhaps?

I am also a Trevor: my backpack is black, covered in Molle and predominantly used to haul groceries. There are dozens of us, dozens :) :p

Edward

Bartender
No, it's more than that - many such epithets were quite specifically invented by the English in the 17th century to disparage people from the Netherlands as part of the two culture's endless and antediluvian competitions and skirmishes. Essentially the English liked to smear anything they didn't like or thought of as beastly as 'Dutch'. Hence the terms Dutch Auction, A Dutch Uncle, A Dutch wife, Dutch Courage, Dutch Roll, Dutch agreement, etc, etc. My source of this knowledge is a University education, but you can look it up easily enough. Just saying.

And yes, they did say similar awful things about the Scottish and Irish folk. But those are the sins of history and I hold no antipathy towards the English, it is simply interesting that this form of thoughtless prejudice endures in odd expressions.

And no, I didn't really take offence, I just wanted to mention it.

Welshing n a bet is another such English insult. Ditto 'Welsh Rarebit'.

@navetsea, I never carry any tools like that because I can do without the hassle when the police stop and search me. I have one at home that I use when my wife moves all the normal tools and I can't find them.

Yes, I don't tend to carry a legal blade, useful as that would be, simply because I've once or twice nearly lost a favourite by forgetting it was in my pocket when I turned up at an airport.

I am also a Trevor: my backpack is black, covered in Molle and predominantly used to haul groceries. There are dozens of us, dozens :) :p

Let's not even mention how many of us dress like a thirties archaeologist when we've never been on a dig, or a Hollywood reinterpretation of a MC member when we've never even earned colours... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk