Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Gents,

Thanks for your kind advice. I stepped out and purchased a blue/palladium Scheaffer Valor today with a fine nib and am looking forward to receiving it in the mail. I know buying from afar may not always be the recommended method, but this pen strikes me well and after reading the reviews on fountainpennetwork I am willing to take the plunge.

I will let you know what my amateur perspective is after I get it broken in in a couple of weeks...

Best to all,
M.

Gents, Thanks for your kind advice. I stepped out and purchased a blue/palladium Scheaffer Valor today with a fine nib and am looking forward to receiving it in the mail. I know buying from afar may not always be the recommended method, but this pen strikes me well and after reading the reviews on fountainpennetwork I am willing to take the plunge. I will let you know what my amateur perspective is after I get it broken in in a couple of weeks... Best to all, M.

Good luck with the new pen: may it be a joy to use and an inspiration to your writing. For many just such a pen is an entrance to another aspect of the world of fine living. Much like watches and other items, fountain pens may lead to collecting and obsessive behavior, however I mean that in a good way.:eeek:

H.Herdick

Familiar Face
MB 147 (traveller). Ink: MB Lavender Purple

10196537re.jpg

MB 147 (traveller). Ink: MB Lavender Purple

10196537re.jpg

looks like a great writer. From time with the SCPCC (Sothern California Pen Collectors Club) and hanging out at the fountain pen shop in Monrovia it seems that many people that are Montblanc fans are in what might be considered professional vocations and are dedicated Montblanc users. Often they collect montblancs.

Today i am using a pilot Varsity FP in blue at the Covina Library doing some Make Model Engine research utilizing google and wikipedia. Yesterday i as using my Platinum Music nib pen and my binderized italic pilot vanishing poit to write thank you cards both had Lamy blue ink. The only bottled ink I have seen that comes with nib wipes!

Dronak

Familiar Face
I have a few nice modern fountain pens, but only normally carry and use one of them -- a Cartier Diabolo (link to Amazon, which has a picture), black with gold trim. I think this writes the best out of the ones I have, and it's special for me since it was a PhD gift from my parents. They actually bought a matching ballpoint pen and had both pens engraved with "<my name>, PhD". They also gave me two, 2-pen cases (leather and wood) for them. Though I tend to use the computer more than pen and paper now, when I am writing on paper with pen, it's almost always the Cartier Diabolo fountain pen that I use.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

Well, I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with the Sheaffer Valor. It is a remarkable improvement from my two 'entry' pens in the True Writer and a Phileas. Although those are good pens, the Valor is incredibly smooth, thorough, and consistent comparably - definite step up. The workmanship, quality of materials, and extremely well engineered design and manufacture is known to the hand as soon as you pick it up.

My only disappointment is in my own error of purchasing without seeing a pen with a unique design - I blame it on my impatience. The design of the pen is a lot more black and without the blue marbling I was hoping for. Again, I blame myself for purchasing it without observing the aesthetic details.

I know the Valor has been around for a few years, but I do recommend it for all reasons. If you do look for an example with specific marking or marbling, of course I would recommend ensuring you see it before buying.

Best to all, and appreciate the earlier advice. I enjoy this thread,
M.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Instead of working the field today I am in training [tomorrow as well] so I cleaned out and refilled my Pelikans, a 150 and a 215. Nice to carry my pampered pals instead of the "roughnecks".

Doublegun

Practically Family
This forum is costing me $$$$$! Over the past 6-months I have managed to spend quite a bit collecting several very nice Sheaffer fountain pens. I use at least one every day. The problem is flying with a non-cartridge pen. I can try to make sure the bladder is less than full but then I risk running out of ink ( and I am not traveling with a bottle of ink). One solution is to pick up a modern cartridge FP (something a little more formal than my Lamy Safari). The question is what is a classic-looking "modern" pen that won't set me back BIG mony (>$200)?

Kirk H.

One Too Many
1965ParkerTouche.jpg
[/IMG]

Today I am carrying a 1965 Parker Touche. This pen has its orriginal fiber tip and takes modern parker fountain pen cartridges. The tip is still in good order for a 47 year old pen.

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925