Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

FLushed!

I had to flush out my Pilot Vanishing Point with the Binder Italic nib. It had been set aside and the ink dried. I flushed with cold water and tried some 409 water mix but as this was a stubborn problem finally broke out the vial of Fred's Secret Sauce... This "sauce" as he calls it is a cleaner mix that Fred Krinke at the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia devised some years ago.

And Presto! The pen drew in ink and wrote like new. Happy days are here again!

fiddletown

New in Town
I've used a fountain pen for everyday business (except for carbon copies or when I need a marker) for over 40 years, and I carry one daily.

My first good one was a Mont Blanc Diplomat. In recent years I've come to favor either Pelikan or Omas, and currently carry an Omas for every day use.

There's just nothing like writing with a fine fountain pen. It almost makes writing checks paying bills a pleasure (or let's say it makes the best of a lousy job).

L1000289-1.jpg

L1000295-1.jpg

pgoat

One Too Many
One of the worst things about my work (Archives) is that ink is a no-no, particularly fountain pens or rollerballs that could leak. I use pencil 99% of the time, which I actually enjoy, but the only pens I keep on me daily are Pilot's G2 gel retractibles. They have archival safe ink and rarely leak or blot, so they're the mainstays around here....I do use my fountain pens daily at home for notes, journal writing, etc.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Gold Wahl-Eversharp 'Art Deco' Greek-Key lever-filling vest-pocket fountain pen. This is quickly becoming a staple of mine...it goes whereever my watch goes...and my watch goes whereever I go...

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Today,

an early fifties gray esterbrook lj with a extra fine flexible nib and private reserve ebony blue ink

a black j with a medium nib and mid-fifties vintage skrip for sketching

a nice copper j with an osmiroid broad/soft nib, filled with private reserve chocolate.

I also always have my 50's autopoint pencil with me, (engraved for a hybrid seed company in wisconsin). The large lead is great for rapid sketching.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
A burgundy Parker 51 filled with Chesterfield cobalt

A black Sheaffer Clipper filled with Private Reserve copper burst

My mother's old Morrison mechanical pencil

Yesterday and today I was filling out some Christmas cards for church friends and also to go with gifts. I used my Pilot Vanishing Point with Binder Italic nib filled with Private Reserve Spearmint Green.

I also used my Platinum with Music Nib and PR special blend of blues for another Thank You card.

Addressed some envelopes with an Esterbrook Dollar pen with a medium nib with Aurora Black ink.

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Todays Pocket Carry

Burgundy Sheaffer Connaisseur with Binderized Needle Nib
Parker International Rollerball customized to take Pilot EF Ballpoint refills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner