Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shirt for this suit?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
EDIT: what color shirt should i ware with this suit? i was thinking a deep red or maroon. any thoughts? We have a vintage company party and I was hoping to ware this suit for the event (what luck)

I snagged these off eBay for 25 each. Thoughts?

Brown Suit

h1

h2

Dinner Jacket

g1

g2

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Looks like you did ok! A cleaning and pressing will help. How's the fit?

Both will need tailoring I have always had a hard time fitting suits. I have very broad shoulders for my height.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A Very Casablancan DB tux.

Loved it as soon as I saw it! Very sharp. Any makers names/owners' name/date on the DB?
Now you'll have to find a hot place under the sun where you have the excuse to wear it. Wear it in good health, I like your style! (and you got it for a song! but which one..? "You must remember this...")

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
Loved it as soon as I saw it! Very sharp. Any makers names/owners' name/date on the DB?
Now you'll have to find a hot place under the sun where you have the excuse to wear it. Wear it in good health, I like your style! (and you got it for a song! but which one..? "You must remember this...")

The tags read Zoller, New Orleans no dates but i assume it's 30's 40's. I live in the san Francisco bay area but i spend a lot of time in Reno and Vegas visiting family :)

Pembo

New in Town
That brown suit!

Any idea of a make or year? I have one very similar to it, with the only differences I can see being that your waistcoat has one extra button and my trousers have no cuffs.

Good scores!

Cheers,
Pembo.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Pembo said:
That brown suit!

Any idea of a make or year? I have one very similar to it, with the only differences I can see being that your waistcoat has one extra button and my trousers have no cuffs.

Good scores!

Cheers,
Pembo.

The tag reads Tailored in (Rollaster or Rochester, it’s hard to make out) Executive Group by Bond clothes. No real idea about the year, but I would assume no later then the 50’s .

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Based on the cut and the button placement, I reckon that it's mid to late 1930s. The fabric maker is probably Haspel, which was more popular in Louisiana than was Palm Beach Cloth.

Hows that for helping out! woot. thanks for all the info!

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
What color shirt should i ware with the brown suit? i was thinking a deep red or maroon. any thoughts?

We have a vintage company party and I was hoping to ware this suit for the event (what luck)

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
A beige or light tan shirt would do the trick.

any ideas on a tie? i don't have any vintage ties but i would be willing to get a modern equivalent.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
For the brown suit:
pale blue
beige or ecru
pale green
(not lime green, more mint green)
pale grey
white
with dark stripes: blue, maroon, brown, grey or black

Avoid:
yellow
pink
deep greys
reds
(although a deep burgundy might work)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Thoughts on ties: Get something that picks up the color(s) of the shirt and the brown of the suit. This looks like a herringbone, so a paisley or "big blob" foulard print will be elegant and fun. These come in 1000 colors anyway, so you're sure to find something that works.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
From a ladies point of view, wear cream with the brown. Anything else will just look well, wrong, IMO :rolleyes:

With the cream jacket, a white evening shirt and black bow tie to match your evening dress trousers.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Vermifuge said:
What color shirt should i ware with the brown suit? i was thinking a deep red or maroon. any thoughts?

We have a vintage company party and I was hoping to ware this suit for the event (what luck)

Would a white shirt be too normal? Honestly, I don't think there's anything more elegant than a white shirt...pressed or fussy.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It could work, but you run the risk of looking a little stale. With the right tie, though, you can avoid that.

I've mocked up some ideas for vermifuge to kick around.
Here are foulard, paisley, and art deco ties with ecru, green, and blue shirts.

315217959_6b9393f5f3_m.jpg
315217960_0f8e67e7bb_m.jpg
315217958_076f54198d_m.jpg

The foulard/ecru is businesslike to me. The green/paisley has a British feel. The blue/Deco is 1940s in colors as well as style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot