Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size to buy a used Burberry?

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
Dear group, I'm considering buying a used Ebay Burberry double breasted trenchcoat and I need some advice on sizing. Ideally I'd try one on in a Burberry store but that would involve a very long trip. I take a 40 regular in a sports jacket and I've heard that the Burberry sizing means I need a 50 reg. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?
Thanks chaps.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Always go by the actual garment measurements. Always. If anything, this is even more important for modern garments (most of the better Burberrys on eBay are from the 80s to mid 90s). When communicating, make sure that you and the seller understand each other's methods of taking measurements. I have owned a few 80s-90s Burberrys coats, and the sizing is not consistent. Don't go by tagged size alone. Note that Burberrys raincoats of that timeframe came in three basic varieties of fabric, a 70%/30% synthetic/cotton, a 55%/45% (or fifty-fifty) cotton/synthetic and a 100% cotton. The first isn't much to write home about, the second is okay but may be actually preferable depending on the purpose, the third is generally preferable.

Burberrys changed to Burberry sometime in the mid 90s. After the sellout, quality began to drop increasingly over the years.

40 UK/US does translate to 50 EUR, that's true. Always add 10 to the chest size and you get the European size. 1980s-90s Burberrys tend to fit on the roomy side, in other words they are already vanity sized, but don't rely on that.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
You can start by looking for size EUR 50 as well as EUR 48 since these coats are vanity sized, then check the actual measurements.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I too take a 40 reg in a suit jacket and I searched ebay and even went into the Burberry shop in Manchester to try one on. I too came to the conclusion that I needed a 50. However, I took a chance on a cheap unsized (vague description from the owner) one that fits like a glove. When I looked at the hidden size tag it's a 48 reg! I can easily wear a sports jacket or suit jacket underneath, but I am a slim man. I think if I'd gone for the 50 it might have been too big. If you had broad shoulders then a 48 might be a bit snug.
Mines an older, Burberrys 70/30% and I'm more than happy with it, especially for the price I paid. If I were to buy again I wouldn't be put off by the perceived quality of the poly/cotton mix.
Good luck with the search, there are plenty out there so you should find what you are looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW