Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Song Would You Like Played At Your Funeral.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
A wonderful friend of mine died a few years ago... and the closing song at her funeral was "I'll Fly Away"... I came to understand the concept of tears of Joy that morning... it was SO appropriate for her!!

God Bless you, Jane...

I was responsible for helping to plan a Memorial service for a good friend and co-worker... his family had submitted some wonderful photos of Larry across the span of his Life... I set those to "Keep Me In Your Heart For A While"... his family later told me that it was perfect... (Not necessarily a reflection on Warren Zevon or some werewolf's hair...

I miss you, Scooter!

~shoes~

Last edited:

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
without a doubt:
People Get Ready- The Impressions (1965)
Way Over Yonder- Carole King (1971)

or perhaps anything played "live" at Red's Lounge, Clarksdale, Mississippi!

Edward

Bartender
I don't know about SONGS so far, but film-clips?

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdoWLn9NFVw[/video]

Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle...I don't know why, it just always seemed FUNERAL-ish.

It worked for Eddie Blake... [video=youtube;A_26e0s8BHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_26e0s8BHw[/video]

I don't care if there's people in the afterlife or not. But there damn well better be cats

There are a fair few cats I'm looking forward to catching up with again.

Thanks Blackthorn, nicely said will need to look up that song. As for me my favorite song of all time is What a wonderful world by the great Satchmo! so it will be played I hope.

My favourite take on it was the one Joey Ramone recorded; utterly joyful and life-affirming, for a man that I believe already knew he was dying.

Last edited:

hatguy1

One Too Many
What Song Would I Like Played At My Funeral? Several; Amazing Grace on the bagpipes, Eternal Father, Lift High the Cross.... Just to mention a few.

Then - at the close of the service - as everyone's being invited to my wake, I'd like them to be led in a resounding singing of "B double E double R-U-N, Beer Run! Beer Run!" followed by the Irish favorite "Whiskey in the Jar."

Last edited:

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I always remember a passage from the book, "A Sense of Honor" by James Webb. It's about the Naval Academy in 1968 and one Midshipman is describing how another one wanted to be buried if KIA. I thought it was so cool I wanted the same thing. In fact, I had them write that up in my Emergency Data Card.

I want to be buried on a hillside in Arlington so all the gutless wonders in DC will have to pass my grave and I want Johnny Cash to sing "The Green Green Grass of Home".

theactorsinger

New in Town
"You Can Leave Your Hat On" as sung by Maria Muldair :rolleyes: at My wake, along with 'Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2, "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones, "Redemption Song", "No Woman, Don't Cry" "One More Cup of Coffee Before I Go." by Bob Marley and the Wailers, "Blue Bayou" sung by Linda Rondstadt, "Paradise" by John Prine, "Lucky Man" by The Who, "Better Man" by Pearl Jam, "To All the Girls I Loved Before" by Willie Nelson
At My funeral "Good Night My Dear Brother" as sung by Aaron Neville, "The Queen of Carmel" by The Baha'i World Choir, "The Tablet of Ahmad" written by Baha'u'llah, sung by Red Grammer

"You Can Leave Your Hat On" as sung by Maria Muldair :rolleyes: at My wake, along with 'Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2, "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones, "Redemption Song", "No Woman, Don't Cry" "One More Cup of Coffee Before I Go." by Bob Marley and the Wailers, "Blue Bayou" sung by Linda Rondstadt, "Paradise" by John Prine, "Lucky Man" by The Who, "Better Man" by Pearl Jam, "To All the Girls I Loved Before" by Willie Nelson
At My funeral "Good Night My Dear Brother" as sung by Aaron Neville, "The Queen of Carmel" by The Baha'i World Choir, "The Tablet of Ahmad" written by Baha'u'llah, sung by Red Grammer

That's a long funeral.

BTW, I *think* the "Lucky Man" you're wanting is by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. And major props on the Bob Marley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112