Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do with a dark olive double breasted jacket

Milsurp

New in Town
A local vintage clothing store has a dark olive double breasted jacket that actually fits me. It's modern and I think 60% acrylic and about $8. I'd like to get it but I can't match clothes for crap so I don't know if any slacks would go with it. So what color slacks if any would go with a dark olive jacket (besides dark olive:D )? Would a gray hat match it?

Thanks guys!

:eek:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Actually I was thinking khaki - i.e. a more tan color.
Light olive & black would also work.
Gray seems to go with just about everything too. I would think a brown or medium/dark gray hat would work.

LZeitgeist

New in Town
Is it appropriate to wear a DB jacket with non-matching pants?

I'd assumed that DB jackets were only utilized as part of a complete suit, and that only single-breasted jackets were used at times with different-colored pants, as more of a sport coat...

I'm not criticizing the original poster whatsover - I've been trying to locate a pair of pants to exactly match a DB jacket I have, and have a pair that's really, reallyy close but not exact, and I'm hoping I won't have to get a pair custom-made to match...

Feraud

Bartender
LZeitgeist said:
Is it appropriate to wear a DB jacket with non-matching pants?

I'd assumed that DB jackets were only utilized as part of a complete suit, and that only single-breasted jackets were used at times with different-colored pants, as more of a sport coat...

I'm not criticizing the original poster whatsover - I've been trying to locate a pair of pants to exactly match a DB jacket I have, and have a pair that's really, reallyy close but not exact, and I'm hoping I won't have to get a pair custom-made to match...
Yes it is appropriate to wear a DB jacket with non matching pants.

You will never find a pair of pants to match a lone jacket. I would suggest you do not waste your time trying but wear a complimentary pair. Almost matching suits look much worse than than a fine jacket and pant outfit.

Milsurp

New in Town
I went back to get it the other day and on closer inspection, words such as 'polyester' and 'china' stood out. I also noticed flecks of orange, pink, and all kinds of crazy stuff in the weave. It was actually a lighter puke green than the dark olive I remembered it as. Oh well, I'm slowly learning.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
One look is to pair the DB navy blue jacket with white or ivory colored pants, that works well.

A lighter olive for pants would probably do well too for the dark olive jacket.

That is the only combination I have ever worn, and even then I felt like I wa wearing a costume, ie, going yaghting and should have had an ascot and white yaghting cap.

I won't put down anyone else for wearing it, But I only like to wear a true sportcoat with non matching slacks, as in, a little woolier and heavier than a suit jacket, plaid or checkered usually.

I gues there is the "blue blazer" look, but even those are usually a heavier flannel than normal suit fabric. THey are considered appropriate with tan khakis or white cream or grey flannel. But I don't know how far back that goes in terms of style. I do know that originally, the look came from young men mixing and matching suit jackets in the twenties, and blue, or grey or ivory jackets were common. But I don't think just any suit coat was considered right.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Yes it is appropriate to wear a DB jacket with non matching pants.

You will never find a pair of pants to match a lone jacket. I would suggest you do not waste your time trying but wear a complimentary pair. Almost matching suits look much worse than than a fine jacket and pant outfit.

I generally agree, but it depends on the occasion. I have two "suits" that are separately bought trousers plus jacket and if it is night time, there is no way in hell anyone could possibly tell. Even in daytime it is nearly impossible. I wouldn't wear these ensembles to an Event, but for teaching, I have no qualms about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes