Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear for the Queen Mary

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Hello Gentlemen,

I am bringing a friend who is a costume designer. She specializes in period clothing. She is going in an original late 1930's gown and insisted that I follow suit (no pun intended). So to make a longer story...ahem shorter--she wants to make a suit for me specifically for the Queen Mary dinner.

She's very talented and owns a business making period wedding gowns and understands the vintage cut better than anyone I know. I directed to her to this site last night, and as a result of Matt Deckard's grabs of the original 30's attire. We are learning on the brown peaked lapel single-breasted suit with the wide legs, and a double breasted vest.

What do my dear friends at the Fedora Lounge recommend?

Sincerest Regards,

Daniel Riser

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
suitfront-vi.jpg

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I'm positive on everything but the cigarette brand...

I'm looking at a notched lapel single breasted (3 button) with vest that appears to be double breasted.

Am I correct?

Second question. Where's the best place to find reproduction patterns?

Third question.

How ya doin Matt? Haven't seen ya in awhile.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The Cigarette is a Dunhill.

I think the vest is single breasted, though it is nearly completely covered.

Reproduction suit Patterns... I don't know. Reproduction dress and suit patterns for women can be found at fabric stores and online. You can sometimes buy womens patterns on Ebay.

Been doin' fine. Just been really busy trying to catch up at work after taking time off to go to Florida and all.

04.jpg

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Jimmy has some of the best taste in suits, bar none, he had. The cut was always perfect and he and I share the same love of the double breasted 6 button pattern. There is nothing like pinstripes on a double breasted suit, especially one like that.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I'm looking at a notched lapel single breasted (3 button)

Well, you could go that route, but that style is made today and is very hard to pass as a vintage look. I have some vintage single breasted three button suits in my vintage collection and some people say: That’s a nice suit! I tell them that it’s from the 40’s and they tell me that it looks like a new suit. If I were you, I would have a nice high cut double breasted suit made perhaps with a pleated, yoked and belted back coat. Take a look at some of the 1936 pages from Sears I posted here.

http://fedoralounge.skyblueproductions.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1703

Show these to your friend and see if she can make you one of these suits! Chose fabric that is close to the colors that you see and you will pull off the right look for the Queen Mary! Since the RMS Queen Mary’s madden voyage was in 1936 you would be a head of the game!

Good luck!

Root.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I noticed these images earlier. I showed Lauren the blue single breasted peaked lapel with double breasted vest. (Not the two-tone vest) I love that suit. But I agree with Bogie1943... I am built like Jimmy and a double breasted works very well for my build.

Regards,

Dan

Wild Root

Gone Home
You're built like James? 6' 3" and slender like he is? That's cool! I'm 6' 3" like he was, but not as slender. I believe he was about a size 38 long or maybe a 40 long. I'm about a 44 long.

I like the blue single breasted with the double breasted vest you mentioned! That is a suit I would really like to have made. I also really dig the belted two tone vest as well as the solid buttoned vest! But, as you can see on those pages I posted, there are several double breasted suits to choose from. If I may make a suggestion, I would have one of the double breasted ones made that have the pleated patch pockets and belted, pleated, yoked back. Ever see the 1936 film Trans Atlantic Merry-go-Round? Stars Gene Raymond and Jack Benny. There are so many cool clothes in that film! It all takes place on an ocean liner much like the RMS Queen Mary. A popular outfit to sport wile on ship was a single, or double breasted dark blue coat, striped tie, and cream or white flannel pants with two tone shoes. Oh, can't forget the tall crowned light colored felt fedora.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

All the best,

Wild Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21