Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a fedora....

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm afraid it's 100% sheep wool. Those are the available colours:

surowce-i-polprodukty.jpg
Kol 113 or Kol 115 would make a nice combo with your dark blue suit. Well, even if the hats they sell are wool, you could go over and try a few on to see what sort of style looks good to you, and on you.

I'd add my own local shop, Meyer the Hatter, to the list of online hatters: http://www.meyerthehatter.com/ Their felt hats are on sale right now, Feb. 2016. I've bought a few lids from them, always a good experience. You might want to look at the Stetson Saxon, which they have on sale now for $160 USD, or the Stetson Temple, $170 USD.

nash

New in Town
I guess I'll go for light/dark brown then. I should have enough time to visit that shop next week - can't wait to try them on. Also, since that is going to be my first hat ever I'll go for their wool one if it suits me. If I like the idea of wearing hats more than only on special occasions I'll consider buying a proper hat - they are two, even three times more expensive than those they have... Thank you all for your support... Will post a pic of me trying their hats on...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I guess I'll go for light/dark brown then. I should have enough time to visit that shop next week - can't wait to try them on. Also, since that is going to be my first hat ever I'll go for their wool one if it suits me. If I like the idea of wearing hats more than only on special occasions I'll consider buying a proper hat - they are two, even three times more expensive than those they have... Thank you all for your support... Will post a pic of me trying their hats on...
Sounds ultimately reasonable. Enjoy the experience, and do post some pics. (I need to go down to Meyer's before it gets too hot and pick up a straw for the vicious Loozyana summer. It would be most interesting to send some pics back to FL. . . .)

nash

New in Town
It's been a while, but it turned out that shop sells online only. Was a bit afraid to buy a pig in a poke at first but in the end I ordered Modern II in brown. Well, I finally got it today - it took them two weeks to make one (hand made they are). Here are some pics. To be honest I'm not really sure yet what to think about it. I mean, I like it, yet it's my first hat and it does feel (look?) different - if you know what I mean :)

fedora_03.jpg
fedora_04.jpg
fedora_05.jpg

fedora_06.jpg

fedora_07.jpg

fedora_08.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It's been a while, but it turned out that shop sells online only. Was a bit afraid to buy a pig in a poke at first but in the end I ordered Modern II in brown. Well, I finally got it today - it took them two weeks to make one (hand made they are). Here are some pics. To be honest I'm not really sure yet what to think about it. I mean, I like it, yet it's my first hat and it does feel (look?) different - if you know what I mean :)

fedora_03.jpg
fedora_04.jpg
fedora_05.jpg

fedora_06.jpg

fedora_07.jpg

fedora_08.jpg
Nice hat. Looks good. I'd tilt it back a bit.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
To be honest I'm not really sure yet what to think about it. I mean, I like it, yet it's my first hat and it does feel (look?) different - if you know what I mean :)
Sure I know what you mean. I felt pretty awkward at first back when I started wearing hats. It didn't take long before I felt naked without a hat :)

It suits you great, and you wear it well. Maybe I would prefer a little more forehead - but that's just me. You should find your own style, that makes you comfortable ;)

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I'd tilt it back a bit.

I concur with that. IMO the hat would look better on you, nash, if it didn't totally overtake your forehead.

My gut instinct tells me that something isn't quite right with how it looks on you, although I'm not exactly sure if it's only due to the forehead issue, or also because the hat is too big for you, or because the crown is too tall for you, or because the brim is too wide for you, or any combination of those factors. Other members can probably sort through all that stuff better than myself.

Perhaps you can post some more pictures of you wearing the hat without it blocking all of your forehead?

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the brim break just needs to be reinforced and the swoop worked on. The brim break is where the crown and brim 90 from one another. It's kind of hard to describe the process. I've had to do it with my Akubras after they shipped across the Pacific and the sharp brim break relaxed. Fold the brim up and where the crown and brim separate reinforce that crease. Then work on the brim swoop.

I think a video is called for here

It really matches your beard!

Tip it back a bit, and give it a bit of a tilt to one side or the other. You'll be ROCKING that lid.

And don't forget the follow up pictures!

nash

New in Town
I think the brim break just needs to be reinforced and the swoop worked on. The brim break is where the crown and brim 90 from one another. It's kind of hard to describe the process. I've had to do it with my Akubras after they shipped across the Pacific and the sharp brim break relaxed. Fold the brim up and where the crown and brim separate reinforce that crease. Then work on the brim swoop.

I think a video is called for here

Holy Moses, I've just watched some YT videos on crown & brim shaping... And I thought choosing a hat was the hardest part. It turns out that it's not like fire and forget - I got the hat yet there is still some voodoo to be done so that it looks and feels right. I'll post some pics with a bit more of the forehead on the morrow.

Thank you all for the responses.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's like buying a guitar. Buying is easy. After that you can hang it on the wall or you can learn how to play it.

I guess that's as far as that comparison goes. I mean who on Earth would desperately need 100 guitars? :D

Welcome to an addictive niche of reality ;)
Wow you just nailed the description of real hat addicts. Good job!

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I am considering buying my first true hat soon - I bought a few hats in 2011 but never wore them, lacking in confidence then and since lost them. I do not have an occupation (or even the opportunity) to wear a suit often.

I am curious as to what wear with your hat?

I am also asking for an opinion - could this jacket work with a gray fedora?
890003_Camel

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
It's like buying a guitar. Buying is easy. After that you can hang it on the wall or you can learn how to play it.

I guess that's as far as that comparison goes. I mean who on Earth would desperately need 100 guitars? :D

Welcome to an addictive niche of reality ;)
The "Hat Bug" does bite real deep! I love how my Husband looks in a Fedora, and for a long time would not guess I would ever wear one myself. I have a few now for just me! Seeking the next buy or trade or to sell one to buy another is a never ending journey. The only real "slow down" is really and honestly due to what is called in our home, "wallet mutiny" !!!!

This is a subject which has been discussed many times here n the FL. Most of us don a fedora when we walk out of the house, no matter what we're wearing.

Look through the What Hat are You Wearing Today thread for a few days' posts. You'll find we pair our hats with pretty much everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I think a nice fedora would look fine with that jacket and pants. Warning...once you do wear a hat, what is called by some, that hat bug will more than likely bite you. The issue then will be, where to find your next "fix" and your search for the next hat will surface...it can get ugly! Hahahahahah!

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Suits are my go-to attire almost daily. Sometimes I go with a sweater or a bomber jacket when I'm feeling more casual. I've never been a fan of the tee shirt with fedora look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic