Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a fedora....

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm not trying to hate here, but I think the fedora looks better dressed up. Button down shirt and maybe a sport coat. Not saying the man in that picture doesn't look good, but fedoras are a little dressier than some other hats
Fedoras also look great with overalls and a T-shirt. When hats were still a necessity rather than an accessory, fedoras were worn with any kind of clothes. Just look at pictures from The Great Depression era - or pictures of blue collar workers during the 40s.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to hate here, but I think the fedora looks better dressed up. Button down shirt and maybe a sport coat. Not saying the man in that picture doesn't look good, but fedoras are a little dressier than some other hats

Not hate, opinion. You're allowed to have one, just don't try to impose it on others. :)

Where's that shot of, was it Short Balding Guy? - in a bathrobe and fedora raiding the fridge late night!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Six Rules For Wearing a Fedora. This is very much tongue in cheek. Some of the hats are debatable let alone the rules, but I do like:
Rule #2. Buy the hat that looks good on you, not the rack.
Don't take it seriously, it's down to you and nobody else.
Whenever a small unused hole occurs in the great Interweb, the "Attire Patrol" or some other self-proclaimed "expert" is always prepared to "mend" it with a handful of worthless recycled opinions. At least no paper was wasted in the process ;)

Fruno, G Durand had one, SBG may have as well.

It was G. Durand. My memory...

Whenever a small unused hole occurs in the great Interweb, the "Attire Patrol" or some other self-proclaimed "expert" is always prepared to "mend" it with a handful of worthless recycled opinions. At least no paper was wasted in the process ;)

Think of the poor pixels!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Six Rules For Wearing a Fedora. This is very much tongue in cheek. Some of the hats are debatable let alone the rules, but I do like:
Rule #2. Buy the hat that looks good on you, not the rack.
Don't take it seriously, it's down to you and nobody else.

I can't tell you how many times a hat has looked amazing (to me) in a picture, or on a shelf/manikin, and when I try it on it's like yaaaargh! haha

What a GREAT idea! I've been thinking about re-inventing myself, and it really did work out well for the Hulkster. Especially last week, or the week before, when he was awarded many millions in a defamation (?) lawsuit. No wonder he smirks!!

J.benham5

New in Town
Hello all,
My cousin is getting married in June and I got a new suit and shirt for the wedding. I also wanted to get a fedora to look snazzy. The suit I have is a charcoal black/grey suit with a lighter blue shirt and black and blue tie. What color fedora should I get to match/complement and what kind should it be? I looked into a wool style hat, as well as a straw type. Any opinions/answers will help.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello all,
My cousin is getting married in June and I got a new suit and shirt for the wedding. I also wanted to get a fedora to look snazzy. The suit I have is a charcoal black/grey suit with a lighter blue shirt and black and blue tie. What color fedora should I get to match/complement and what kind should it be? I looked into a wool style hat, as well as a straw type. Any opinions/answers will help.
Akubra Fed IV in carbon gray or moonstone from Hats Direct. Can't go wrong.

tropicalbob

I was thinking that you might also want to liven up the outfit with a tie and pocket square from Brooks Bros. Their website usually has a sale going on.

tropicalbob

Would you recommend Stetson Half Moon Bay straw or Wool Wilde
I'm not much of a Stetson man, but I was thinking you might want to check out Peters Bros.' hemps. You can get a custom hemp for $150.00 in a range of styles and colors, including black. There's a Peters Bros. thread going on now, as a bunch of us are ordering from them. I've got one in the works to add to the black one I got last summer: Stratoliner-style, red band, and light as a feather. Might be a very cool addition to your wedding ensemble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran