Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with this dress?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I bought this dress a while back and want to wear it - but I have NO idea how to accessorize it. The dress is a light to medium peach color - more vibrant and darker than it appears in the photos - and the material is rough.

[
DSCN1348.jpg

DSCN1349.jpg

The best I can figure is white flower in the hair and some white jewelry because the buttons are a white pearly material. But then I don't know what shoes to put with it. What other colors could I wear with this? What kind of shoes? Right now I have period dress shoes in navy, black, and brown. Maybe I need to go shopping. lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Black!

Forgive my intrusion into The Powder Room,... :eek: but the door was open, and my artist's eye for design gave me the impulse to respond.
So I say anything black,...jewelry, scarf, belt, hat, etc.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Forgive my intrusion into The Powder Room,... :eek: but the door was open, and my artist's eye for design gave me the impulse to respond.
So I say anything black,...jewelry, scarf, belt, hat, etc.

Really? You think? I am one who is horrible with color charts so I won't even try to say you are wrong, but I think black may be too "heavy" for the "sheerness" of that dress. I think lighter colors would work better. If it were a solid material, I could agree...

shindeco

A-List Customer
My first thought was either faun (the colour) or alligator (the skin; for the colour and texture). I keep seeing an alligator bag with that.

The complementary colour would be a blue. How about turquiose jewellery?

Oooh! Or navy and white spectator pumps, white gloves and a navy hat?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
LolitaHaze said:
Really? You think? I am one who is horrible with color charts so I won't even try to say you are wrong, but I think black may be too "heavy" for the "sheerness" of that dress. I think lighter colors would work better. If it were a solid material, I could agree...

Yes! Black has impact and lends contrast to the whole look. :)

At the risk of looking too much like a box of Good and Plenty,...lol
Black is only right for the sheer,...uhhmmm, blackness,...errr. :rolleyes:

(I'm at a loss for words to describe my inspiration, it's a visual creative sort of thing and non-verbal afterall.) lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, thanks! I have shoes and accessories in both navy blue and brown, so that's pretty helpful. I actually have a really cute pair of navy blue 1940s pumps with white cutout accents on the toes.

I am not very creative when it comes to this type of thing, so of course I was thinking I was going to have to wear white or peach only. lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the navy and white idea too. Also, a pretty pearl necklace would add a nice touch. I see you with a flower in your hair. A pretty white one, or a hat, but I've been into flowers lately. Lovely dress.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Any pastell would work, a light pink, powder blue, or pale green.

Do you want the dress to have a 'darker' colored feel? Pair it with a green scarf or shawl of roughly the same value.

Pearls are classic :)

Id stick to a cool pallete with the dress. Blues, greens. No warms like orange or yellows.

Because the dress has a lovely 'texture', Id keep the add on simple and clean, but they can have pattern, like a calico scarf would be devine.

Good luck,

LD

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I think I'm pretty hopeless and not girly with stuff like this, but my instinct was black too. A small, flat black hat (tilted), replace the belt with a black one, then get some really spectacular black shoes and gloves and a pocketbook. (ooh, a square, quilted black leather clutch would be great.)

... I think this is a leftover theater thing on my end. When someone is wearing something light you put dark things by the wrists and face to draw attention to the hands and face (on an actor, that's where all the action is going on). If a person is wearing something dark, you achieve that contrast with something light. Then again, you are probably not fighting stage lights in everyday life and don't need those kind of visual cue.

But that neckline has to point to *something*. I don't know what, but those points really need to be pointing at something. A necklace? Some kind of fabulous pendant? Definitely not a pin. A pin would draw the eye down and be confusing since the poitns are clearly sending the eye straight up to the face.

Your dress is wonderfully fabulous.
BV

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I recently got the most perfect black tilt hat, it is flat and hugs my heads, but the front has a wide brim with white flowers. I may try that with it and see how it looks, and add the black belt and clutch. If not I have some navy shoes and accessories that might work well. I also have a nice strand of black beads that I think will work well.

Since it is so sheer, what do you wear under it? Just a slip? I've never actually worn a sheer dress before, although I know they were popular as I see a ton of them.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Navy shoes and matching bag would be my preference. Ivory gloves although white would do. No suede or lace. Pearls or a very light gold necklace. Keep the pearls small, one strand only. Hat mainly navy with accents that match (or as close as) the dress colour.

The sheerness is countered by a full slip underneath (over your bra, knickers, girdle etc) also in peach. If it were a lace dress then you could put a totally opposing color underneath, ie navy again or ivory, green, brown, but the weight of the material suggests a slip as close as you can get to the dress colour.

Earrings. Small stud unless you omit the necklace then you can go for a larger earring perhaps with a small pin on the dress, although personally I wouldn't use a pin at all. No rhinestone I think.

And a darkish green or mid to dark brown would also look great instead of the navy. I'd personally avoid black.

You'll look great whatever you decide! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn