Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Mary

Practically Family
I saw Brideshead revisited, the movie. Horrible! You have to be very stupid to missread a book so completely. Everybody turned into stereotypes, the wicked mother, the gay lord Sebastian and so on. Everything was so silly. You should never watch it.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Watched My Darling Clementine from Fox Movie Channel, John Ford's retelling of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Hadn't seen it in years, and was totally taken in by it. Ford set up a lot of compostions with sharp angles cutting into the frame, such as light from a door way throwing a rectangle across the screen, or a split rail fence cutting into the sceen.

Henry Fonda looks like he's practicing for Col. Owen Thursday two years down the road; he's sort of dead pan, letting the "Well, ma'm" dialogue carry the scene. Lots of dramatic, screen-filling close ups, one especially with Victor Mature as the tubercular Doc Halliday. This is apparently where Sergio Leone went to film school.

Walter Brennan as the semi-feral Pa Clanton (whips his grown sons with a horsewhip, then growls "If you draw on a man, kill 'im.") is downright scary. Grant Withers as Ike Clanton doesn't speak during his first fifteen minutes of screen time, just giving this uber-sullen irrational stare at everybody. He sort of leans forward and looks right at the other character, not blinking at all.

The movie feels like a western noir. The lighting is outstanding, with inky shadows that seem more like three dimensional blocks of something. Most of the story takes place at night, with characters and furniture appearing and disappearing into shadow as a lantern passes by.

Great movie. See it if you get an opportunity.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
Watched My Darling Clementine from Fox Movie Channel, John Ford's retelling of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

I like this movie,too- but you left out Linda Darnell! She was beautiful in this movie!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Saw the new Transformers flick with my daughters. At least 1/2 hour too long. And though the house was full of young children, parents should be cautioned. There's plenty of sexual references, crude jokes and swearing.

Megan Fox. Holy smoke!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Ninotchka (1939)

Just for an hour and a half, The Great Garbo was human.
3149198844_9d364a86d0_m.jpg

Melvyn Douglas, otoh, was pretty much of a drip, tho an impeccably dressed one.
I think it drags in the last half, but more movies do that than don't. That was true in 1939 and it's true now.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Popped in The Thin Man the other night. Love their banter together. I love it when Nick is shooting balloons off of the Christmas tree, misses one, hits the window and then tucks the gun away and pretends to take a nap like nothing ever happened.
There is a book out called The Thin Man: Murder Over Cocktails. Sounds like fun.

Reporter: Say listen, is he working on a case?
Nora Charles: Yes, he is.
Reporter: What case?
Nora Charles: A case of scotch. Pitch in and help him.

Nick Charles: I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune.
Nora Charles: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick Charles: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.

Reporter: Well, can't you tell us anything about the case?
Nick Charles: Yes, it's putting me way behind in my drinking.

Cheers!

Dan

JennyLou

Practically Family
I found a movie called Sweet Home Alabama on TV. The reason why I got hooked on it is because the way the girl and guy fight remind me how an ex and I use to fight, so weird.

Sleepy LaGoon

New in Town
Robot Monster. Greatest motion picture of all time.

It puts "Plan 9" to shame. Only a true genius could come up with an alien "robot" in a gorilla suit and diving helmet.

robotmonster7.jpg

Best line: "You're so bossy you should be milked before you come home at night."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR