Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Mother of all bad sci-fi movies...Plan 9 From Outer Space.
I'm just one of those quirky people that gets the weirdness of Ed Wood, most of it...
Can you believe I got a box set of his movies for $25 dollars? Maybe that was too much to pay. :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Saw "Brief Encounter" last Friday at the Film Forum in New York. 1945 classic, directed by David Lean, written by Noel Coward, and starring Trevor Howard and the wonderful Celia Johnson. It's a classic, even tho it's also a true movie cliche. Full of lines like "Dahhhling, are you vedddy vedddy unhepppy?" Beautifully crafted film. Another classic film that's MUCH better on the big screen than on the tube.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
11163635_det.jpg
Did you like it? I thought it rather silly, but the production values were ok. Destined to not become a classic i think. :D

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
What has Edward G Robinson, Broderick Crawford, Jane Wyman, Edward Brophy, Anthony Quinn a very young Jackie Gleason & one of my favorites - Jack Carson? It's "Larceny Inc." I love this movie. My favorite exchange is EGR & the lady who runs the lingerie shop- as he is trying to rush her out of his luggage store... Lady: "I'd love for you to come over and look at my lingerie" EGR: "And some time you can look at my trunks"

m0nk

One Too Many
I actually liked it. SciFi is my thing though.
Classic, probably not but it will have its following. :p
Absolutely great fun there. SciFi is also my thing too, but with one foot in the future and one foot in the past (just like me), it was a very cool crossover. Plus, with an icon like Harrison Ford (though most of his stuff in recent years has been all out crap), a cool dude like Daniel Craig, and Jon Favreau at the helm, what's not to like?

bulldog1935

Suspended
I watched all the Hammer films monster movie remakes last night. They all starred Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Entertaining and a bit campy, Horror of Dracula being the most campy (though Christopher Lee looks good).
Curse of Frankenstein (1957), which kick-started the Hammer films monster movie cycle (and was a box office star), is IMO the best version of Mary Shelly's book put on film.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I watched all the Hammer films monster movie remakes last night. They all starred Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Entertaining and a bit campy, Horror of Dracula being the most campy (though Christopher Lee looks good).
Curse of Frankenstein (1957), which kick-started the Hammer films monster movie cycle (and was a box office star), is IMO the best version of Mary Shelly's book put on film.
Both are very good. The movie that came on later Plaugue Of The Zombies is also good. We didn't watch them because of storms, plus we have them in a box set. Many love "jump out and grab you" movies or lots of blood and guts, but for me Hammer is the pinnacle of horror films, with Amicus studios coming in second.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
We also caught those classic Hammer Films on TCM with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. They were really fun to watch and you never realize it, but man Hammer put a lot of detail into their sets. Especially their outdoor mountainous scenes.

One thing that I loved in The Mummy was the lighting in the tomb. For something that was carved into a mountain side there was plenty of green light flowing in.

Christopher Lee really knew how to act with his eyes. Missed The Gorgon that came on right after it though.

This Saturday morning they are playing sequels to Curse of Frankenstein, with The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958) and Frankenstein Creates Woman (1966). Setting the DVR to record. Also I thin there is one with Boris Karloff called Island of the Dead (1945).

Cheers!

Dan

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Gorgon is okay, but it does have a nice premise. I mean who doesn't like a woman with snakes for hair?
The sets and use of brilliant colors, is Hammer's signature.
Christopher Lee doesn't just have a black cape, he has a REALLY black cape, and sometimes it has a brilliant red lining.
Sure some of the movies were hokey, but the writing wasn't bad. This from a guy that loves B horror and even some of Ed Wood's movies. :)
Plus they had some really nice looking ladies star in each one, that could act and not just look pretty. That doesn't hurt...;)

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
Just finished watching A Face in the Crowd it is such a powerful performance by the late Andy Griffin in his debut roll, if all you know him for is Mayberry you owe it to yourself to check out this little gem.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I watched 'The Good German' twice over the last two nights. I just find it fascinating, the immediate post-war Germany. Not only is the film well-made in a noir fashion, but the story line is excellent. It is based on the background of Arthur Rudolph and the Mittelbau-Dora camp and missile factory. The Americans did quite a bit of "persilchein" (white-washing) of Nazi's in order to bring them to the U.S. for the fledgling American space program. It's a subject not often covered in movies and I felt as though this vehicle was a good presentation. It sent me to the web from more than a few hours to do some background research on the whole story. Just fascinating, in my opinion. The film didn't do well at the box office, probably due to the ignorance of the audience regarding the history involved. If you haven't seen it, get the DVD and check it out. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452624/

-dixon cannon

Last edited:
One thing that I haven't seen is the use of colored gels to shade black and white horro movies. I read that in the original Frankenstein when Karloff was on screen as the Monster the progectionist used a green gel to suggest an "un-natural" concept.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24