Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The Bridge at Remagen. Pretty good for a 60's flick, rather edgy too. Seems that many of the movies made in the 60's about WW2 are pretty decent due to the fact that events depicted were still rather recent.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Being Flynn, an amazing character piece staring Robert DeNiro and one of the reasons Paul Dano is one of my favorite young actors. The movie isn't as inspirational as the trailer makes it out to be.

Its about a father and son who are both writers. The father is quite unstable and ends up homeless, the son is unstable as well and works at a shelter where he sees his estranged father show up as a resident. It's amazing to me that in so many of his films, DeNiro is still able to become a character to the point where you don't see him, you just see the character. And the look of shock that Paul Dano has on his face at the end of the film floors me. Its a really well acted film.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Master

It wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.
Paul Thomas Anderson is known for making what is happening off camera as important as what is happening on camera, but I felt his direction actually got in the way of this character study. And their eyes. He REALLY worked eyes in this film. It was creepy.

Metatron

One Too Many
Watched the Hobbit. Very entertaining and love Martin Freeman as Bilbo, BUT:
How is it possible, when the common complaint with movies is that they leave details from the book out, that Peter Jackson goes to the other extreme, and attempts to squeeze a trilogy out of a short book? I agree with Worf on this.
It's a shame that he got so much right but then messed with the dynamics of the story: For those that haven't read the Hobbit, it's a simple fairytale with a complex backstory. But as much of the backstory i.e the history of middle earth is not revealed, there is a sense of mystery, like there is plenty going on in this world beyond the main story. In the film much of the backstory is revealed, explained etc, and imho this takes away from the subtlety of Tolkien's original work.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful, sexy woman...

Oh yes, I love her "archetype." When she was younger (ie in Ectasy) she looks a fair bit like my wife actually. So needless to say I'm a fan :D...however, for some reason she was off my radar screen for Golden Era actresses for some time. In the last couple of months I've been adding Hedy Lamar films to my library. I just wish someone would release a nice DVD copy of "Algiers" soon...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo