Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

bulldog1935

Suspended
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
It was very good, produced by Luc Besson, directed by and starring Tommy Lee Jones.
A modern tale of western justice, with a touch of Don Quixote.
Not for the squeamish. Melquiades' third burial takes awhile.
Great cameo role by Levon Helm.
If you have time warner cable, this is one of the on demand free movies.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Open Secret (1948, released by Eagle-Lion), with John Ireland, Jane Randolph, and Sheldon Leonard. Story on anti-Semitic/anti-"Foreigner" group operating in what appears to be part of NYC. Ireland discovers that his murdered Army buddy was somehow involved with said group, and tries to get to the bottom of it. In the process, he discovers some incriminating photos of local resident bigots, and nearly gets greased himself (of course). Novel to see Leonard playing a good guy (a police detective) who, being of Italian ancestry, has a personal interest in ridding the nativist bigots who terrorize his town (in the last scene, he actually walks down the street with a grin on his face).

Two best pieces of dialogue:

Leonard to Jewish camera store owner Strauss (after beating up town bigots)- "Hey, Harry, what'd they to to you?
Strauss- "Did you see the other guy? Take it easy on Ralph; I think the kid learned by now."
Ireland- "Hey, you wanna see a doctor?"
Strauss- "Doctor? I never felt better in my life."

Leonard on phone, talking to a detective about catching gang's leader, Phillips- "This is Frontelli speaking. Send the wagon to 531 Parker, back alley...Phillips. (Chuckles slightly under his breath). Yeah, he was playing Hitler, but in the wrong precinct."

7 out of 10 *s.

Last edited:
images

Annabella Incontrera:eyebrows:
sabata.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Midnight In Paris. Probably Woody Allen's best film in a long, long time, and by all rights should be the Fedora Lounge's Official Film. A lovely conceit, particularly the moment where they find themselves in the Belle Epoch.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Got the new year off on a good start by watching my Casablanca DVD today.

I also just watched Billy Jack Goes to Washington. I liked the Billy Jack movies when I was a teenager in the 70's, but rewatching it now I found that it was way to heavy on the political statement. I guess back then I just liked the martial arts sequences. I don't mind a film making a political statement, even if it's one I don't personally agree with, but when it beats you over the head with it again and again to the detriment of the story it's just a bit too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo