Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

The Final Countdown (1980) with Martin Sheen, Kirk Douglass, and Charles Durning (small part).
About the USS Nimitz, and how it goes through a storm ending up near Pearl Harbor before the attack.
Interesting movie that I remember as a kid, and now that it's on Netflix I decided to watch it again.

i remember that one! It was a great movie. I wish they let their planes take out the damned zeros. :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Here is a photo and article about the actual 'Squad'. I don't see a black detective in the photo. I tend to think that 'Coleman Harris' is a fiction. -dixon cannon

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/newmedia/2013/01/10/11934/photos-the-real-life-gangster-squad-and-mobster-mi/

GangsterSquad1948.jpg

P.S. A little additional infor on the squad and Cohen's organization: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-gangstercastflash,0,6866586.htmlstory

Nice photo; must have been a warm Los Angeles day for some of the cops to be without neckties (and for one to wear a t-shirt!)...

Regarding the Harris character, I figured that might be the case; I was hoping that it was based on fact. If such is the case, it's annoying that the writers/producers deliberately tried to "modernize" history, especially if they did it in order to gain a larger audience base. Film-makers need to show past events/eras the way they really were, warts and all, and not inject fictional situations/relationships which likely wouldn't have existed at the time.

Nice photo; must have been a warm Los Angeles day for some of the cops to be without neckties (and for one to wear a t-shirt!)...

Regarding the Harris character, I figured that might be the case; I was hoping that it was based on fact. If such is the case, it's annoying that the writers/producers deliberately tried to "modernize" history, especially if they did it in order to gain a larger audience base. Film-makers need to show past events/eras the way they really were, warts and all, and not inject fictional situations/relationships which likely wouldn't have existed at the time.

Hollywood lies about history?! Now there is a new one. lol lol lol

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
James this is news to me!
Hollyweird takes a "creative license" with the facts?

Resident Evil? I'd have to watch that around 10am, and no later.
In fact, we have some old 70's horror flicks on Netflix, and won't start them any later than noon. :D
Now if it's a Hammer Horror that's different. We can watch those anytime.

Maguire

Practically Family

It was tokenism of course, but i just saw the film and enjoyed it anyway. I think there was a wink and nod about the tokenism regarding the mexican cop at least, where during the film several times someone would say "where did he come from, whats he doing here etc?" Some studio producer probably forced these changes- i have little patience for them myself, i say show things as they were but we live in silly times where we have to present the past either as a horrible, dingy place in some films and media and a glitzy glamorous utopic place in others where everyone got along. The truth then as now would be very different. Overall i would be more annoyed about something like that in say, the Godfather. This movie didn't take itself seriously, it was hammy and fun and that was about it. I'd recommend it either way.

James this is news to me!
Hollyweird takes a "creative license" with the facts?

Resident Evil? I'd have to watch that around 10am, and no later.
In fact, we have some old 70's horror flicks on Netflix, and won't start them any later than noon. :D
Now if it's a Hammer Horror that's different. We can watch those anytime.

You needed to add quotes to "facts" as well. :p

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Another blasphemy "The Three Stooges" - I give it a solid "C". You can divide the world into several camps, "cat" people... "dog" people... those that "get" the Stooges and those that never will. We laughed, from that film that's all you can ask.

Worf

Though in 1932 the LAPD had one African-American detective. In one of my books there's a pic of the LAPD's entire detective force that year and his portrait is among them.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Another blasphemy "The Three Stooges" - I give it a solid "C". You can divide the world into several camps, "cat" people... "dog" people... those that "get" the Stooges and those that never will. We laughed, from that film that's all you can ask.

Worf

I saw it twice. While it did have some faults, the actors portraying each stooge did a good job, considering...
In fact, Sean Hayes sounded and acted just like Larry Fine. I've seen him in a few films where he played someone famous, and he always delivered.
Sasso? Yeah kind of a stretch other than he's got a similar build to Curly.
Diamantopoulus did an okay Moe, I've seen worse.
All in all, it was a good film but I wish it had been retro and not current day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner