Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Django Unchained' http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1457106688/tt1853728

05.jpg

-dixon cannon

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Final Countdown (1980) with Martin Sheen, Kirk Douglass, and Charles Durning (small part).
About the USS Nimitz, and how it goes through a storm ending up near Pearl Harbor before the attack.
Interesting movie that I remember as a kid, and now that it's on Netflix I decided to watch it again.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Dark Knight Rises" - I'd give it a "B" or "B-Minus". Overly long, overly preachy. Crazy in some spots. This isn't 1914, cops armed with pistols don't attack armoured vehicles and men behind barricades with automatic long guns. The whole thing with the U.S. Special Forces, unnecessary except to tell us that there was a mole in the outfit. I think the best part of the movie was the set up for the inevitable sequel. I like the take on what might be a more rational origin for "Robin". I also liked the way Catwoman laughs at Batman's schoolboy (no guns allowed) mentality. However the ENTIRE family cracked up the time Bale slapped on his "Batman Grumble" voice. It was just so incongruous, unncessary AND jarring, that we just fell out. We all began imitating him to the point we had to stop the movie and stop doing it before we had errrr.... accidents. Enjoyable overall but just a tad overblown.

Worf

m0nk

One Too Many
"The Dark Knight Rises" - I'd give it a "B" or "B-Minus". Overly long, overly preachy. Crazy in some spots. This isn't 1914, cops armed with pistols don't attack armoured vehicles and men behind barricades with automatic long guns. The whole thing with the U.S. Special Forces, unnecessary except to tell us that there was a mole in the outfit. I think the best part of the movie was the set up for the inevitable sequel. I like the take on what might be a more rational origin for "Robin". I also liked the way Catwoman laughs at Batman's schoolboy (no guns allowed) mentality. However the ENTIRE family cracked up the time Bale slapped on his "Batman Grumble" voice. It was just so incongruous, unncessary AND jarring, that we just fell out. We all began imitating him to the point we had to stop the movie and stop doing it before we had errrr.... accidents. Enjoyable overall but just a tad overblown.

Worf
I have to agree with the voice bit, especially when he was talking to Catwoman, after she already knew who he was. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this one, being a big fan of the first two. The whole series had a great way of making Batman seem human and almost made you feel like you could be Batman too.

m0nk

One Too Many
Looper... Not the greatest film. Left you pretty confused, picks up at the end, then bam, it's over.
I have to disagree here; I really liked the whole concept of this one. As an avid sci-fi fan, I can say it was well thought out and I liked how it used time-travel as a tool in the story telling, without muddling up the plot with the science of it all. Deja Vu was also done in a very similar fashion and I enjoyed that one too. The hero of both stories wasn't a science geek, but a regular guy trying to get by with the tools provided.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Just watched "The Lost City" and was disappointed in Andy Garcia (et. al.) for perpetuating so many stereotypes.

What kind of stereotypes?

Yesterday watched Mystery Street (MGM, 1950), with Ricardo Montalban, (second billed, for some reason) Sally Forrest, Bruce Bennett, Elsa Lanchester, Jan Stirling, Edmon Ryan, Betsy Blair, and Marshall Thompson. Somewhat standard story about the murder of "B" girl Stirling (and boy, was she good at that type of role), made more interesting due to a solid cast. Good location shots of Boston; Harvard University actually played a "forensic" part in the story, as Bennett's professor character helped Montalban's detective character crack the case...Interestingly, Montalban kept referring to himself as "Morales," whereas the cast listing has his the name spelled "Moralas." One interesting piece of dialog between "blueblood" Ryan and Montalban, as the latter searches for a pistol in Ryan's office:

Ryan: "My word is as good as an affidavit. If you want to know about me, ask anybody...There was a Hartley around these parts long before there was a USA; you ask anybody. But from the way you talk, you haven't been around here long. (Points to photo on desk.) You see that girl before? My daughter. I've got two more, one older, one younger. The older one starts at Bryn Mawr next year."

Montalban (after going through Ryan's office): "No gun."

Ryan: "I suppose you'll want to search my home now."

Montalban: "Already been there."

Ryan: "You know, I'm used to respect, people looking up to me."

Montalban: "So am I, Mr. Hartley, and my family hasn't been in this country for even 100 years."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy