Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"12 O'Clock High" is one of my favorite war movies as it is not an action adventure movie, or a maudlin movie or a by-the-numbers buddy movie; it stands in its own sub genre of war movies: how to command, how to lead, how to balance concern for one's men and the need to send them off on missions you know some won't return from. It shows the strains of leadership - breaking the first squadron leader and nearly breaking the second - without making the first leader look weak and the second one simply a hero; instead, they are two on a continuum where Peck was just positioned slightly better at striking the right balance. I've seen this movie several times and am always amazed at its subtleness, its great lines (some highlighted above by Worf) and its quiet respect for the challenges these men faced.

Flat out excellent write-up! Gave me some new insight into the interplay between the two commanders. Yes only one group of battle scenes in the whole film the rest... the before's and afters. Thanks

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001).
In the spirit of 50's B Sci-Fi movies.
Editing issues, dialogue where the minor points are over emphasized, and cheap props.
All these make for an interesting movie oddly enough.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001).
In the spirit of 50's B Sci-Fi movies.
Editing issues, dialogue where the minor points are over emphasized, and cheap props.
All these make for an interesting movie oddly enough.

The fun part of this movie is that it is intentionally horrible. Knowing that the makers made this as an affectionate tribute to those mind-bogglingly bad movies helps me overlook some of the lapses in production values.

hatguy1

One Too Many
A great film. The scene where Jackson breaks down after the report of the little child not recovering from a fever usually brings me to tears.

Yes it is. Stephen Lange does a great job as Jackson and Duvall does a great job as Lee. And after Gettysburg, I thought Lange was outstanding as Pickett and only Sheen made the best Lee ever. Little did I know....

And you're right that was an incredibly moving scene. The little girl that played Jane was adorable and endearing. I about cried myself when she died in the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The fun part of this movie is that it is intentionally horrible. Knowing that the makers made this as an affectionate tribute to those mind-bogglingly bad movies helps me overlook some of the lapses in production values.
I couldn't agree more.
We knew that going in, and actually it came up on Netflix because I watch Mystery Science 3000 movies on there.
The plot was okay, could have been a bit more to it.
But the bad edits, the animal girl acting weird, etc, all make for a good movie IMHO. :D

That's The Way I Like It (1998).
A Singapore version of Saturday Night Fever, taking place in 1977.
Actually it's a funny film, with knock off 70's tunes, due to an $800K budget.

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
...and, I Will Buy You, a Japanese film from 1956 about all the rottenness that goes on to sign a star college baseball player for a pro team. What the lure of money, lots of it, does to people is the basic theme. The scouts, the agents, the family, the coach, almost everyone, turns bad, but the fans just want to watch their hero swat round-trippers. Great performances throughout with some twists here and there. From the Criterion Collection, buried way down in Hulu.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That is a great movie. Gregory Peck did very well as did the supporting cast. According to imdb, at the time they made the movie, there were so many fly able B-17s in the world they felt they could afford to intentionally land one gear up for that scene. Sadly, now there's maybe half a dozen in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really was better that that particular B-17 was belly landed by Paul Mantz, and lives on in film glory! This is the fate of the other B-17s used in the movie. [video=youtube;klDdnbtV8xE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klDdnbtV8xE[/video]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My Week With Marilyn (2011). I had skipped over this so many times while channel surfing, and finally decided to give it a shot last night. I loved it.

Note: the simply set-up scene at the end, featuring an over-the-shoulder shot of Marilyn (Michelle Williams) singing into a microphone, was breathtaking. She had it all down - all the mannerisms - vocals, facial movements, breathiness, body movements, and the way her hands caressed the mic melted me. It was a great movie, but that scene alone would have been worth it. But if you watch the film, save it for the end where it belongs. It sews up the whole film so well.

Then one of my all time favorites - My Darling Clementine (1946).

Last edited:
Wayne_Back_to_Bataan_TC.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
yzehe2a3.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
With the lights on I hope! :D

Johnny Cool from 1963, with Elizabeth Montgomery, Sammy Davis Jr, Jim Bakkus, and a host of other well known players.
Directed by William Asher, and a year before Bewitched hit the airwaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL