Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Agree with the assessment of "Tombstone" - it's so good that I have lost count of how many times I have seen it. Far better than "Wyatt Earp", which could have been improved by cutting out about 30 minutes of useless blather.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens..."
Love that whole exchange between Earp and Tyler

Feraud

Bartender
; in my opinion Tombstone is the MTV/fast food/A.D.D. version of the story--handsome actors wearing pretty clothes dishing out snappy catch-phrases that audience members will repeat ad nauseam at social gatherings for years after, but not much substance.
Agreed. Tombstone looks great and benefits from a very good cast. Every actor looks exactly like the image the story is trying to portray. The story however suffers from a simplistic approach. It pits our knights in shining armor, or in this case very clerical black frock coats, against The Bad Guys who do a great job of chewing up the scenery.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy the movie. I did, but didn't find it left anywhere near an impression as Eastwood's Unforgiven.

I may need to take another look at Wyatt Earp. Haven't seen it in 20 years..

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Tombstone is one of those "stop & drop" movies for me. Doesn't matter how many times I've seen it. Also, oft quoted by my family. :) Especially this line:

[video=youtube_share;6YVTksxZMOA]http://youtu.be/6YVTksxZMOA[/video]

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I recall there being a lot of "stuff and nonsense" in the entertainment media at the time about there being a bit of a race between the two productions to see which would get to the theaters first (ignoring the fact that movie studios assign a pre-determined release date to most movies). Of the two, I much prefer Wyatt Earp; in my opinion Tombstone is the MTV/fast food/A.D.D. version of the story--handsome actors wearing pretty clothes dishing out snappy catch-phrases that audience members will repeat ad nauseam at social gatherings for years after, but not much substance.

I'm really interested in the movie "Wyatt Earp." I don't know what it is, maybe it's me, but I have had good deal of difficulty giving it my undivided attention. I hope that I will be able to try it out again this fall/winter. I realize that it deserves that much.

- Ian

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Facing Ali. We will never see so many great fighters in such a short time again. Any one of these fighters would have been the greatest today! [video=youtube;juaZFDWtjmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juaZFDWtjmI[/video]

...Tombstone...That's not to say I didn't enjoy the movie. I did, but didn't find it left anywhere near an impression as Eastwood's Unforgiven...
I like Unforgiven, but this one bit of dialogue in particular really stuck with me for whatever reason:

Munny: "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have."

It's a relatively simple thought, but I thought it really summed up the finality of death from our human perspective.

I'm really interested in the movie "Wyatt Earp." I don't know what it is, maybe it's me, but I have had good deal of difficulty giving it my undivided attention. I hope that I will be able to try it out again this fall/winter. I realize that it deserves that much.
It could simply be one of those "When the time is right..." things. I had the same problem with Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather.

With 2001 I'd tried to watch it several times but, although I thought it was visually stunning, I just couldn't get into the story and would stop watching within the first hour. A couple of years ago it came up in a discussion with a friend and I decided it was time to give it another try, and that time it held my complete interest from start to finish. I'm still not crazy about the ending, but at least I now understand (I think) why so many people hold it in such high regard.

The Godfather was a little different. I'd seen it a few times and liked it well enough, but didn't understand why so many people thought it was a masterpiece. When the movie was restored in 2008 (for DVD/Blu-Ray release) it played at the Cinerama Dome here in Hollywood, and I went with a friend to see it. For whatever reason, that time it "clicked" and it's now one of my favorite movies. [huh]

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Lease of Life' a mid 1950s film starring Robert Donat as a dying vicar. It features a ten minute church sermon in the middle of the film.

This was not a good film (although the colours were beautiful).

Facing Ali. We will never see so many great fighters in such a short time again. Any one of these fighters would have been the greatest today! [video=youtube;juaZFDWtjmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juaZFDWtjmI[/video]

You are so right - Norton, Forman, Frazier, Patterson (maybe), Jimmy Young, Larry Holmes.

Feraud

Bartender
I like Unforgiven, but this one bit of dialogue in particular really stuck with me for whatever reason:

Munny: "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have."

It's a relatively simple thought, but I thought it really summed up the finality of death from our human perspective.

That's a great line that's stuck with me too over the years.

Then there is Little Bill and William Munny's final exchange-

Little Bill- "I don't deserve this. To die like this. I was building a house."
Munny- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"The Saint's Double Trouble" (1940) with George Sanders as the Simon Templar/ Boss Duke Bates. Bela Lugosi as "Partner", one of Duke Bates henchmen.

Watched "The Children's Hour" DVR'ed from TMC during it memorial to James Garner day. This is one of my "under-appreciated classics" movies, so this was the third or fourth time I've seen it. Because of that, I didn't focus on any of the top-line stars - Garner, Hepburn, MacLaine - but instead, paid attention to the performance of the grandmother - Fay Bainter - around whom the entire plot turns.

She gives a stellar, outstanding, professional, impressive performance. Very nuanced as she conveys a wide range of emotions and even thoughts through looks, facial expressions and body movements. The term "old pro" was made for her and this performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925