Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Maguire

Practically Family
Give'em Hell Malone- some direct to video tom jane movie with neo noir twist to it. Its not a great movie but it was entertaining enough- i like the whole neo noir thing where there really isn't a particular time, ie some things are quite modern looking yet the people still wear hats and have some anachronistic cars etc.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
One of my favorite Films Noir, Where the Sidewalk Ends, with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney. Andrews is near-perfect in his portrayal of a jaded detective (what other type of detective is there in a Film Noir?) who kills a suspect, falls in love with his widow, and then tries to frame someone else so that her father won't wrongfully be convicted for the murder.

I love this movie. But I love any pairing of Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney. :D

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Devdas

This weekend we watched the Bollywood movie Devdas. It's the charming story of boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy's family disproves, girl's family gives her away in marriage to another, boy drinks himself to death.

You are never guaranteed happy endings in Bollywood.

However, you are always guaranteed great musical numbers. In this one, the girl happily gives the care of her childhood love to the prostitute who has also fallen in love with him. (seriously, I can't make this stuff up)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiIL-w_jD8o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiIL-w_jD8o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
One of my favorite Films Noir, Where the Sidewalk Ends, with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney. Andrews is near-perfect in his portrayal of a jaded detective (what other type of detective is there in a Film Noir?) who kills a suspect, falls in love with his widow, and then tries to frame someone else so that her father won't wrongfully be convicted for the murder.
That one sounds great. I had never heard of it so I'm glad for the heads up, Widebrim.

p51

One Too Many
I saw “Revolutionary Road” again on HBO last night. I’ve watched it twice now and I was just as disturbed by it the second time around. After watching that, you have no faith in marriage (or even love for that matter). Then again, the main couple is clearly messed up to start with, but nobody in that movie is the least bit happy. I think the crazy son of the land lady is the only one who truly understands what’s going on in that world. It’s easy to think that if you just pack up and move away, you’ll leave your discontent behind. Maybe it’s because I’ve travelled a lot in my life, but I realize that even people in Paris with dream jobs feel their lives are going nowhere. But so many things in that movie creeped me out (did anyone else think it was odd how little kids were at home?), especially that morning after their big fight near the end. You could cut that tension with a chain saw.
It sucks the life right out of me, and I’m going to be sure to not watch it again.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
I think you'll like it, Blackthorn.
Y'know, it's funny the way these threads roll around. Before I posted about Devdas today I stumbled on the first page of this thread. On post #10, 08-05-2007, Novella talks about watching Where the Sidewalk Ends. Now, 5700 posts later we are still talking about it. :)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Suzy

My most recent is Suzy, with Jean Harlow. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much, since TCM only gives it 2 stars. I liked it quite a bit.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Duplicity". 5/10. Alright but tried to be a bit too clever for its own good and ultimately was confused and disjointed. Not much chemistry either between the leads, Owen and Roberts.

Chet

New in Town
Widebrim said:

Added to my Netflix. Thanks.

SkullCowboy

New in Town
Finally saw Avatar last night and I was not overly impressed. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent movie. Great special effects, the CGI did not overwhelm or look cartoonish, but overall it just didn't 'grab' me. Kind of surprising as I am a big science fiction fan and was really expecting to be taken with this flick.
Oh well, glad I rented it before buying. I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin.
Also want to point out a connection between Avatar and a Poul Anderson story, Call Me Joe, that I read long ago...
Coincidence? Perhaps, or maybe I am a tad too cynical... ;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
We've got a long thread on Avatar:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=43459

Besides that Poul Anderson (BTW, one of my favorite SF authors!) story, the film's plot owes a lot to Ursula Le Guin's famous novella "The Word for World is Forest". Not to mention Disney's Pocahontas, Dances With Wolves, The Last Samurai, etc.

If only Cameron had come up with characters and a story as impressive as the production design and CGI/3D effects, Avatar would actually be the masterpiece that it aspires to be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran