Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Lady Day said:
I like The Crazies. I pop it in when I want background noise. I like the two main characters. One thing I dont like about the remake is making the military this unapologetic blanket evil to rival the virus.

Did you see the original? It was not as much for the visual horror as it was for the process behind containing it. But Romero is always about that in his movies.

LD

It seems to me that what most folks (apart from, perhaps, Danny Boyle and Alex Garland in their 28 Days... franchise) who are inspired by Romero seem to miss is his focus being not upon the horror of the undead, but the horror of the survivors, the fact that they (as Robert Kirkman put it in his The Walking Dead comic book series) are tuly the 'walking dead'.

Edward said:
It seems to me that what most folks (apart from, perhaps, Danny Boyle and Alex Garland in their 28 Days... franchise) who are inspired by Romero seem to miss is his focus being not upon the horror of the undead, but the horror of the survivors, the fact that they (as Robert Kirkman put it in his The Walking Dead comic book series) are tuly the 'walking dead'.

I see an echo of the dread and hopelessness type of situation where even if you know what's going on, arm yourself and make preparations, a turn of bad luck can wind up with everyone dead. It was repeated in Carpenter's version of The Thing and the Alien series. You're toast unless your smart and lucky and a great tension builder for the film when done right.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
I like The Crazies. I pop it in when I want background noise. I like the two main characters. One thing I dont like about the remake is making the military this unapologetic blanket evil to rival the virus.

Did you see the original? It was not as much for the visual horror as it was for the process behind containing it. But Romero is always about that in his movies.

LD

I haven't seen the original - do you think the original surpasses the remake? Is it worth a look?

Edward

Bartender
John in Covina said:
I see an echo of the dread and hopelessness type of situation where even if you know what's going on, arm yourself and make preparations, a turn of bad luck can wind up with everyone dead. It was repeated in Carpenter's version of The Thing and the Alien series. You're toast unless your smart and lucky and a great tension builder for the film when done right.

True.... I loved the sense of paranoia in Carpenter's The Thing, arising when they realise that it is a perfect mimic, thus it could at any time be any one of them.... I have wondered whether Carpenter was hinting at cold war paranoia here (a recurrent theme in Romero's works, from McCartyism being the target of the originial Night of the Living Dead to Day of the Dead, which dealt with 80s nuclear paranoia).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Golightly said:
Do you think the original surpasses the remake?

No, not really. Its not very good, but I really appreciate Romero for how he uses his characters. He always has a strong woman lead and a person of color in an authoritative position in his films.

In the original, the film isnt really about the people escaping the crazies, its about the military response and the behind the scenes working of that, and I find that interesting.

There is no happy ending in the original, they dont get away. The pregnant nurse girlfriend gets crazy, and the bf who spent the entire film protecting her kinda looses it once he realizes. Also, the military commander is then moved once the pandemic spreads, making him kind of defeated as well.

Its just rare to find that type of depth in a horror movie. I guess thats why I like Romero so much.

LD

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Recently, I went out to see Inception. It was actually very good, although I have a feeling it's not "Top 25" great. I mean, on IMDB it's ranked #3, just check it out...

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Shutter Island, two nights ago. I really enjoyed the book and was very interested when I heard they were making the movie.

I'm always a little hesitant when watching movies adaptations of books I enjoy. Happy to report that in this instance, they did a good job.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, because I just finished reading the book. Very good book, and a fun film-adaptation. I intend to read read each book, then watch the film. I do have a little lead time on the last book, as the movie version will consist of two separate films.

This TV" which is 5.2 in LA shows a lot of odd ball fims and some good ones now and then. I came into an early 50's drama entitled "I Want to Live" a strong drama about a woman convicted of murder and sent to the gas chamber in San Quentin Prison. It was quite riviting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo