Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Saw 1947's T-Men last night, I enjoyed it much!
Directed by Anthony Mann
Starring Dennis O'Keefe, Mary Meade, Alfred Ryde
220px-Tmen.jpg

Posted in Noir section too.

(And also posted in the Film Noir section.)

^^Yes, one of my favorites from the late '40s. That scene when O'Keefe watches his partner being killed is truly classic: as the former starts lowering his head, the shadow from the brim of his hat begins to cover his face, until it completely envelopes it.

Edward

Bartender
Dark Shadows. And I loved it. It bridged a gap from my childhood memory of the series and the adult memory of the series when I was watching it on TV Land several years back. I like how they kept it open ended just in case they wanted to do another one.

Cheers!

Dan

Agreed, though I hope they don't unless there really is a good story for it. Far too many films these days spawn a sequel because they made a lot of money at the box office rather than any artistic merit. I'm not dumb enough to think the movie business is really about art, but I've seen far, far too many rubbish sequels over the years...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
George Clooney's "The Ides of March". I saw "The Decendents" late last year and felt it was a pile of self indulgent twaddle that was far to lightweight to merit serious Oscar contention. This film however, which nobody seemed to see, is a classic tour de force of political film making. It says more about men, power and the ridiculous methods we use to pick our Presidential candidates than a hundred documentaries combined. Great film making!

Worf

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, though I hope they don't unless there really is a good story for it. Far too many films these days spawn a sequel because they made a lot of money at the box office rather than any artistic merit. I'm not dumb enough to think the movie business is really about art, but I've seen far, far too many rubbish sequels over the years...

Oh, to be sure. I'll be ok of they don't do a sequel, this one satisfied me enough. Like you said, it needs a continuing story. Of course there was plenty of source material from the series to pull from and now two new enemies to work with.

Cheers!

Dan

(And also posted in the Film Noir section.)

^^Yes, one of my favorites from the late '40s. That scene when O'Keefe watches his partner being killed is truly classic: as the former starts lowering his head, the shadow from the brim of his hat begins to cover his face, until it completely envelopes it.

If I remember right there is a night time scene of someone getting shot dead in the alley way near a warehouse (loading dock?) that is a stunning scene. The composition is quintesential noir.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
If I remember right there is a night time scene of someone getting shot dead in the alley way near a warehouse (loading dock?) that is a stunning scene. The composition is quintesential noir.

Hmmm, I don't recall that, but can check on it. Just watched Naked Alibi (Univ.-Int., 1954), with Sterling Hayden, Gloria Grahame, and Gene Barry. Hayden plays an obsessed (Los Angeles?) detective who is one the trail of Barry's character, who appears to be an outstanding citizen, but is suspected by Hayden of being a cop-killer. Up until the mid point of the film, you don't really know who is the unhinged one is, Barry's character or Hayden's. The last third features some actual locations at the U.S.-Mexican border. Barry stands out, but there are good performances by all the leads, including Grahame; she may have been limited as an actress, but was always good as slightly-sleazy characters.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't recall that, but can check on it. Just watched Naked Alibi (Univ.-Int., 1954), with Sterling Hayden, Gloria Grahame, and Gene Barry. Hayden plays an obsessed (Los Angeles?) detective who is one the trail of Barry's character, who appears to be an outstanding citizen, but is suspected by Hayden of being a cop-killer. Up until the mid point of the film, you don't really know who is the unhinged one is, Barry's character or Hayden's. The last third features some actual locations at the U.S.-Mexican border. Barry stands out, but there are good performances by all the leads, including Grahame; she may have been limited as an actress, but was always good as slightly-sleazy characters.

Hayden was superb at being obsessed and willing to go way too far. One film he's the detective slapping a guy that won't talk in an apartment saying: "Why do you do it? You're gonna talk, you know you're gonna talk!" And you know the beating and humiliation to follow is going to be devastating.

Last edited:
George Clooney's "The Ides of March". I saw "The Decendents" late last year and felt it was a pile of self indulgent twaddle that was far to lightweight to merit serious Oscar contention. This film however, which nobody seemed to see, is a classic tour de force of political film making. It says more about men, power and the ridiculous methods we use to pick our Presidential candidates than a hundred documentaries combined. Great film making!

Worf

I thought that it was a very entertaining and underappreciated movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace