Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Castle of Horrors.
SLOW....VERY SLOW.
Christopher Lee must have been on vacation, and needed some pocket money while in Italy.
I might save this for when I'm up at the wee hours of the morning, trying to go to sleep. ;)

Editing to say I found my copy of Taste The Blood Of Dracula.
A good Hammer film with Christopher Lee as Dracula.
A 70's movie James, but set in the Victorian period.
Not nearly as amusing as the 70's film, set in 1972 London (Dracula AD 1972). :D

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Undercurrent" - C+ - Kate Hepburn, Robert Taylor, Ed Gwen and a young Robert Mitchum... all tossed into a better than average tale of theft, murder, attempted murder and woman's intuition. Too bright for film noir but headed in that direction... questioning of things that went on in the war and afterwards. Kept me riveted.

Worf

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Last night I went to a Vincent Price double bill: The Tingler and The Pit and the Pendulum. I thoroughly enjoyed them both. The venue was my favourite 1930s cinema, the Stockport Plaza. Before the movies began, the organist regaled us with a fine selection of Baroque favourites, including (of course) Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

http://www.stockportplaza.co.uk/

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Good choice! "The Goat" is my favorite Keaton short - I've owned a 16mm print for forty years!

Last night's Halloween flick was The Cabin In The Woods... Pretty much a Joss Whedon-penned deconstruction of modern horror-movie tropes. Not really being a fan of what passes for horror movies these days (give me the old Universal classics!), I actually enjoyed it more when it was over than while watching it, once its became clear what it's real game was. Folks who've seen it will know what I mean.

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
Watching "It Happened One Night" on TCM. There was a time when I just was not interested in this film, tonight it is just perfect. Watching it now it's easy to see the appeal that both Gable and Colbert had.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Trouble Man (1972).
With the father from the Waltons playing a bad guy, with shades to match the color ties he wore, such as red, or blue. :eeek:
Also with a 72 Mark III for James. :p

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Some of his movies were probably written while hanging out with Pink Floyd, during the Syd Barrett days.
They were WAY past Strawberry Fields Forever. :D
But to him, it was just a check, for which he'd buy more art.

Watching "It Happened One Night" on TCM. There was a time when I just was not interested in this film, tonight it is just perfect. Watching it now it's easy to see the appeal that both Gable and Colbert had.

That feeling of "this isn't holding my interest" can pop up from time to time even in movies that I love . It's a matter of timing, what else is on your mind, your mood, etc. - but it is almost weird as, most of the time, classic movies are an oasis from all those things.

Also, sometimes it's not until the second or third time that I see a movie, even one that is a classic, that I "get it." It was only the third time that I saw "Citizen Kane" that it captured my attention and spirt - and now I love it whenever it is on. Sometimes I think this has to do with expectations as I went into "Citizen Kane" knowing it was "the greatest movie of all time" and was disappointed, but by the third time, I had no expectations as I hadn't enjoyed it before, that I sat back, took it in anew and was blown away. Even "Casablanca" I only liked the first time, but fell absolutely in love with it after several viewing.

There might be a new thread in this: Great Movies that I only Fell in Love with after Several Viewings

What do you think?

...Also, sometimes it's not until the second or third time that I see a movie, even one that is a classic, that I "get it."
This was certainly true for me with The Godfather. I had watched the movie maybe four or five times over the years when it was on television and, although I liked it, I didn't quite understand why so many people held it in such high regard. Then, in September of 2008 they held a special screening of the movie at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood to promote the restoration of the first two movies and the release of the trilogy on DVD and Blu-Ray, so I went to see it again with a good friend (his idea, not mine). For whatever reason that time it clicked, and it's now one of my favorite movies.

In some cases, I think the enjoyment of a given movie has to do with expectations. I'll use three classic movies as an example: The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and The Big Sleep, all three of which I've seen for the first time within the last year. For decades I'd heard about how good The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca are, but The Big Sleep was always described as something along the lines of "a bit of a mess" and/or "hard to follow". As such, I had lower expectations for The Big Sleep and, although I really like all three movies, it was the one I enjoyed most. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran