Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Apartment is my favorite Billy Wilder film, which if you know how many great movies he made, is quite a strong statement. It's just brilliant in every way.

And 2jakes, Mitchum is downright TERRIFYING in the original Cape Fear! It's tied with The Night of the Hunter for his scariest performance.

I watched the new DC Animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke. I had read Alan Moore's graphic novel back when it was new (1988) and thought it brilliant, and it's clearly a HUGE influence on every interpretation of the Joker since, starting with Jack Nicholson in the Tim Burton Batman and Mark Hamill in B:TAS. But despite excellent designs and animation, and the always welcome voice performances of the B:TAS actors (Hamill as the Joker, Kevin Conroy as Batman, Tara Strong as Batgirl)... I thought it was badly paced, overlong, and didn't have anywhere near the emotional power I expected. Recommended only for Batman completists.

I concur, I was thoroughly disappointed by this offering. The animated Batman features have done more for the Batman mythos and backstory than all of the ill-defined and misbegotten movies of late but not this one. Glad I only spent 6 bucks to see this thing. Also as a side note. Batman does NOT kill, at least that's not how he's supposed to roll. In watching "Dawn of Justice" it seemed to me he was killing an awful lot of Luthor's henchmen, particularly with the mini-canons on the Bat-mobile and Bat-plane or was I supposed to believe that exploding cars and trucks don't kill their passengers? Any outcry from the faithful about this major change in character?

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, some of the animated DC films are very good. I was especially impressed recently by Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Re an outcry... No, because the truly faithful recognize Batfleck's older, pissed-off Batman as essentially a gloss on Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Batman - who DOES kill. I respect this take on the character, but it's not one that I WANT to watch.

But I agree, nearly every decision Snyder made in BvS is awful. I don't have time for a full-on rage now, but boy, is that flick a mess!

"Wintertime" a 1943 Sonja Henie vehicle. I usually enjoy her movies for what they are - fun, skating, skiing, snowing, silly movies - but the formula fell flat in this one as it felt almost as if no-one really cared they were making a movie. The slapstick quotient was up, the believability one down even lower than normal and I found myself quickly bored as only two of the dancing / skating numbers had their usual fun and energy.

And while Cesar Romero's character could not have been more annoying (and not in a "fun" way), I was surprised to see he can dance - quite light on his feet.

Last night, Children of Men, again.
Right now on TCM, the tail end of Dial M for Murder.
It is a day of noir on TCM with The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity,
The Big Sleep, and Mildred Pierce.
:D

Last night, Children of Men, again.
Right now on TCM, the tail end of Dial M for Murder.
It is a day of noir on TCM with The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity,
The Big Sleep, and Mildred Pierce.
:D

Funny, I'm reading the book "Mildred Pierce" right now. I love the original movie and the HBO version (one of the few times that a remake holds it own with a very good original) and always wanted to read the book. So far, very good read and, yes, Veda is just as horrible a child in the book as in the movie.

All four of those noir movies are outstanding (especially, now that I've read "The Big Sleep," I can finally follow the movie).

N.B. Best scene in "The Big Sleep" is the bookshop scene where Dorothy Malone gives lie to the idea that the code was able to take sex out of movies.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
All four of those noir movies are outstanding (especially, now that I've read "The Big Sleep," I can finally follow the movie).

N.B. Best scene in "The Big Sleep" is the bookshop scene where Dorothy Malone gives lie to the idea that the code was able to take sex out of movies.

You're telling me there's a book & that the plot actually makes sense?

Someone on TCM once upon a time called that the "sexy bookstore scene." LOL! Is that in the book? :D

...Someone on TCM once upon a time called that the "sexy bookstore scene." LOL! Is that in the book? :D
There is a scene in the book between Marlowe and a female book store clerk, but it plays quite differently in the movie. Director Howard Hawks was taken by 19-year-old Dorothy Malone's maturity and decided to make the scene "steamier".

Edward

Bartender
Rogue One. Better than the original Star Wars, even before Lucas ruined it. Well done to the Mouse for saving the unsaveable. I loved it, and I'm an ex-Star Wars fan.

This week I want yo watch Joyeux Noel, a besutiful French film about the 1914 Christmad truce, a rare moment when common humanity triumphed over the ruling interests and their war.

You're telling me there's a book & that the plot actually makes sense?

Someone on TCM once upon a time called that the "sexy bookstore scene." LOL! Is that in the book? :D

In the above posts are very smart and detailed answers to your questions. I'd just add that the movie never made sense to me for the forty or so years I've been watching it (as a kid on Sunday afternoons, later AMC and, then, TCM) until I read the book. The plot and characters are a bit complicated, but quite understandable in the book. However, the movie, IMHO, doesn't untangle it enough for most viewers to follow the story. Even having just read the book, I had to refer back to it in my mind while watching the movie to understand parts of it.

That said, the style and vibe of the movie have always been enough to keep me engaged, but it is nicer to actually know what the heck is going on :).

Kudos to Zombie 61's insight as Malone provides the sexual accelerant to the bookshop scene. We live in a world today where every word has to be measured against an aggrieved-group's meter, but I'm going to say this anyway: Malone's acting in that scene is a study in the power of flirtation and sexual verve - Bogie, even being the great actor that he is, is just along for the ride [;)].

"Christmas in Connecticut" for the 30th or so time in my life.

Here's the thing, it's not a good movie, but I enjoy it immensely anyway.

The plot is all holes, Barbary Stanwyck so out acts her male lead, Dennis Morgan, that they don't belong in the same movie and even the very talented Sydney Greenstreet (not that many names have four "e's" in them) struggles to make some of his silly lines believable.

But it doesn't matter - somehow, the flipping of the flapjacks, the cutters in the snow, the cold chicken at night, the silly barn dance and, most importantly, Barbara Stanwyck, all come together enough to make it fun.

I am recording today and plan to watch soon a much better Stanwyck Christmas movie, "Remember the Night."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Big Steal (1949)
A favorite for several reasons. Firstly, because of Jane Greer.
Next, the scenes in Mexico with Jane Greer.
And she may have been in better movies, but I also think Jane Greer did
very fine in this one.
Have I forgotten anyone?

The Big Steal (1949)
A favorite for several reasons. Firstly, because of Jane Greer.
Next, the scenes in Mexico with Jane Greer.
And she may have been in better movies, but I also think Jane Greer did
very fine in this one.
Have I forgotten anyone?

Haven't seen it, but already have the DVR set for TCM's 12/29 showing of it. Can't wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner