Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
BeBopBaby said:
Fido, starring Billy Connelly as a pet zombie in the 1950s. lol I thought the movie was a clever take on the atomic/red scare movies of the 50s. Anyone else see it?

O yes--I posted on it the other day. It's brilliant!

I also thought it was an interesting take on what's happening right now, but as politics are banned, that's where I'll take my leave.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Camille said:
El Laberinto del fauno

Much better than I thought it would be! I loved it! Abit of censcor would be in place, though. I don't care much for watching people get their face smashed in with bottles.

Yes, that was a very brutal scene. I think it was all the more shocking because I wasn't really expecting it, and the way the Captain did it in such a detached manner. But it was very effective in defining the character.
And I did like the movie.

W.C. Fields

The Man on the Flying Trapeze. Ambrose Wolfinger, Memory Expert for a Woolen Company wishes to take the afternoon off to see celebrated and famous wretles in a spectacular match up. From burgalars singing in the cellar to a mistaken information as to a supposed teetotalers death from drinking poisoned liquor to the grand finale. A key Fields outing, similar to "It's A Gift" in plot of henpecked husband nair-do-well, suceeds in the end.

From the Fields boxed set Volume 2.

Sincerely,

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Meh marches on

Analyze This (1999). Just-a-little-better-than-typical late-model big-studio comedy. You know the concept - stock Italian mobster Bobby De Niro visits stock Jewish therapist Billy Crystal, threatening relationship with stock leggy blonde Lisa Kudrow (who plays a WASP because Jewish girls still can't be love interests in the movies).
The jokes aren't bad really, but the mob violence is played absolutely straight even tho the goombatz are caricatures. This makes the pic hard to take lightly and impossible to take seriously.
Big polenta-face Joe Viterelli is the only bright spot: "Doc, I'm a moron. I'm known fer it."
viterelli-sized.jpg

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
had a Cagney-fest with the dvd signature series and one vhs...Bride Came COD, Captain Of The Clouds, Fighting 69th, Torrid Zone, West Point Story and Public Enemy...and i plan on watching Roaring Twenties...again...whatd'ya thinka that tough guy, huh?
-SM

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Good night and Good luck

Not sure where I stand on this one..... I kinda liked the cinematograpy and the use of B&W...ANy other opinions??

Cagney was an everyman... Though he always kinda seemed to play himself, be it tough guy or funnyman.

One thing my girl commented on while watching some of the classics, was "People spoke real loud in the old days.." Though I'm sure that was due to the methods of recording sound back in the old days...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Badluck Brody said:
Not sure where I stand on this one..... I kinda liked the cinematograpy and the use of B&W...ANy other opinions??

Cagney was an everyman... Though he always kinda seemed to play himself, be it tough guy or funnyman.

One thing my girl commented on while watching some of the classics, was "People spoke real loud in the old days.." Though I'm sure that was due to the methods of recording sound back in the old days...

your girl is correct. my father commented on how actors stood very close together while on screen, his exact line being "looks like he's gonna kiss him"...watch The Good German and you'll see the very same for the director used film equipment only available in 1945, the period the film was set. it made the actors speak in very loud, articulate voice and stand close together.

Cagney was definitely a rebel. and yes, playing himself in many of his films like Brando and McQueen. little 5 foot nothin' tough guy...thats why you gotta love him ;)

olive bleu

One Too Many
saw the "Bee Movie" last weekend with the whole family , sweet movie. Although, I still can't take my bear shaped bottle of honey down from the cupboard without feeling shame.:eek: ;)

Jovan

Suspended
Fletch said:
Analyze This (1999). Just-a-little-better-than-typical late-model big-studio comedy. You know the concept - stock Italian mobster Bobby De Niro visits stock Jewish therapist Billy Crystal, threatening relationship with stock leggy blonde Lisa Kudrow (who plays a WASP because Jewish girls still can't be love interests in the movies).
The jokes aren't bad really, but the mob violence is played absolutely straight even tho the goombatz are caricatures. This makes the pic hard to take lightly and impossible to take seriously.
Big polenta-face Joe Viterelli is the only bright spot: "Doc, I'm a moron. I'm known fer it."
viterelli-sized.jpg
Have you seen the sequel? They seemed to learn from that a bit. I actually liked it better. That was my only problem with the film too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner