Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Be Kind, Rewind with Mos Def and Jack Black was really funny...remaking all the classic movies was just downright hilarious! i suggest you pick it up...its worth at least one viewing...

prohibition and gangster theme

Last night after reading the Prohibition thread in one of the other sections I opted for a double feature.

First, "The Cotton Club" with Richard Geer and a fine line up of major league stars. Music, Action and a nice attention to details made this Harlem (NYC) ganster tale a fine one.

Then I slipped in "The Last Man Standing" with Bruce Willis and Christofer Walken playing another twisted individual. Origins are noted as Hammett's Red Harvest, a theme used on one of the Japanese Kurosowa movies (Yojimbo) as a Samurai for hire comes into a two clan town, then done by Clint Eastwood as the cowboy gunslinger and Man With No Name, this version has Willis as mysterious gangland gunman John Smith comes into a 2 bootlegger gang town in West Texas just North of the Border. Just passing thru becomes an interesting search for justice with many fine perfomances making for some interesting character studies.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SamMarlowPI said:
Be Kind, Rewind with Mos Def and Jack Black was really funny...remaking all the classic movies was just downright hilarious! i suggest you pick it up...its worth one viewing...

I liked the final movie they made about the jazz singer. That was imaginative and inspired :)

LD

olive bleu

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
We're starting a two week run of the new Brideshead Revisited this weekend, and I watched it tonight -- it felt a lot longer than it was. I'll say, though, that I liked Julia's 1934 hair much much better than her 1929 bob with bangs -- a style I've never especially cared for on anyone but Colleen Moore.

Did you not care for the movie?( you said it seemed longer than it was)hubby and i are planning to see it .

Feraud

Bartender
SamMarlowPI said:
Be Kind, Rewind with Mos Def and Jack Black was really funny...remaking all the classic movies was just downright hilarious! i suggest you pick it up...its worth one viewing...
As a Fats Waller fan I like how they worked him into the story!
The film has a lot of heart.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
olive bleu said:
Did you not care for the movie?( you said it seemed longer than it was)hubby and i are planning to see it .

I didn't *dislike* it -- but I did think they missed out on the subtleties of the book, for whatever that's worth. It's inevitable in any book-to-film adaptation, though, so I shouldn't fault it too much for that. The character of Rex, especially, was far more two-dimensional than Waugh intendend him to be, and I though he was played as a bit too much of a loudmouthed hick for my tastes. One has to wonder why he wasn't booted out on his ear as soon as he opened his mouth.

The visuals were quite lovely though, and the acting, generally, was good. If there's a major fault, I'd say it's in the pacing -- the beginning and end clip right along, but there's quite a drag in the middle.

I can't complain where it really counts though -- it's been a very good picture for us at the box office!

Edward

Bartender
Deathproof on DVD. First time I'd seen it as a longer feature, shorn of its counterpart. Although over here the Grindhouse was, unforgiveably, released as two separate films thus betraying the very concept, I waited until a reruns cinema showed it in its original forms. As covered in this thread already, it's not to everyone's taste, but I liked it well enough. The additional footage didn't really add anything much to it, IMO, but nor did it detract from the story. I agree with critics who would have preferred a less cut-off ending (I'd have loved to have seen them return the car to the owner!), but what they have is at least true to the genre, IMO.

I'm watching a lot of DVDs recently, actually. Preferable to watching what's on TV for the sake of it.....

Staggerly

New in Town
The Notorious Bettie Page, which was surely a hot topic around here upon release! It felt to me more like a whitewashed tribute than a biopic (which I thought was pretty ironic, considering the theme of the movie -- were they afraid we'd judge Bettie?), but I thought Gretchen Mol was marvelous. When the script became too hackneyed for me, I just watched the story unfold in her face. I began to wonder if the subtext introduced through her eyes was written and directed, or if she just inhabited the character so well that it slipped out.

dingus

New in Town
Thanks for reminding me of that biopic, Staggerly, I keep intending to see it but forget.

Last movie watched: "My Man Godfrey".

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Edward said:
Deathproof on DVD. First time I'd seen it as a longer feature, shorn of its counterpart. Although over here the Grindhouse was, unforgiveably, released as two separate films thus betraying the very concept.....

same thing over here in the colonies...they seperated them...i loved both films though...you can't go wrong with an insane zombie movie with bruce willis and an all out gearhead flick with a loco kurt russell and, of course, rosario dawson...and i guess tarantino is making machete now since the fake preview was such a hit...

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Devil In A Blue Dress with Denzel Washington and Jennifer Beals-the costuming is early fifties, I believe, and nicely done.

Edward

Bartender
Maguire said:
wind that shakes the barley- pretty good film i thought. and right smack in the era this forum is all about.

A little to the earlier end of it, I should have thought... bearing in mnid it ends around the end of the Civil War in 1923.... Thing I really liked about it was that it told the story of the ordinary folks. Interesting as the stories of Collins, de Valera et al undoubtedly are, what the little people went through is just as important a tale. Even allowing for dramatic licence, it's a pretty fair depiction, especially individual families being torn in two by divided loyalties during the Civil War. Actually, I also thought it rather reminiscent of the later O'Casey plays.

SamMarlowPI said:
same thing over here in the colonies...they seperated them...i loved both films though...you can't go wrong with an insane zombie movie with bruce willis and an all out gearhead flick with a loco kurt russell and, of course, rosario dawson...and i guess tarantino is making machete now since the fake preview was such a hit...

So I hear. That was the only one of the faux traliers to make it across to the DVD releases, alas. Werewolf Women of the SS lookedl ike it'd be a hoot! Reportedly, Tarantino is currently working on a new WW2-set movie, with some NYC Jewish-Americans on a suicide mission in Nazi Germany, a la The Dirty Dozen.

Staggerly said:
The Notorious Bettie Page, which was surely a hot topic around here upon release! It felt to me more like a whitewashed tribute than a biopic (which I thought was pretty ironic, considering the theme of the movie -- were they afraid we'd judge Bettie?), but I thought Gretchen Mol was marvelous. When the script became too hackneyed for me, I just watched the story unfold in her face. I began to wonder if the subtext introduced through her eyes was written and directed, or if she just inhabited the character so well that it slipped out.

It seemed to me to have a nice period feel, but yes it was more of a fairy-tale version than "the real story." I did hear that Bettie herself hated it. Gretchen Moll was stunning, though, and especially in the publicity stills they released, I'd have been hard pushed to tell her and the real Ms Page apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24