Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
good to get an update, Thanks Caleb

I've been going to the Stanford Theater since the very first Fred Astaire festival David Packard had in 1987 (?) that the response thereof encouraged him to buy the theater and restore it. I saw him that first Sat afternoon walking around, it was jam packed in the lobby. I told him this was so great that he was showing these movies at the Stanford. He looked at all the people there and said to me "And they said no one would come..."

Caleb Moore said:
Fortunately, everyone was fine. There was about $5,000-$10,000 worth of water damage, but according to their website they will be back up and running tomorrow night with "Witness for the Prosecution". I have to admit, I was more than a little concerned as this place is a temple for me...

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm watching "Vision Quest" tonight. Matthew Modine was really good in this one and Linda Fiorentino was striking. The scene where Modines much older co-worker describes watching Pele win a soccer match was touching I thought.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Spiffy said:
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.
It was wonderful!! There were beautiful apartments and lovely clothes and Amy Adams was cute and bubbly and Lee Pace was dashing and played the piano and they BOTH sang!

I saw Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day yesterday and quite liked it - it was such a sweet movie and a breath of fresh air after seeing so many violent and unsettling movies of late. I just loved the costumes and sets!

I also saw Priceless with Audrey Tautou - it was ok-ish - not the updated version of Breakfast at Tiffany's it was reported to be. Not that anything could touch BAT anyway....

I also saw Elegy with Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz - it started off well - a good character piece but it seriously dragged towards the end.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
Last night I and our kids went to the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto. Watched "Separate Tables" with Rita Hayworth and David Niven and Deborah Kerr as the first feature. Then 10 minutes into "Cover Girl" with Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth, the nitrate print caught fire. Looked behind me to the upper balcony section when the projection booth is- and saw a big orange-red flash. Then all the fire alarms came on with a repeated recorded announcement asking everyone to please leave the theater! Five fire trucks and a fire rescue unit vehicle came. We all got given a free ticket to come back another time. I've been going to see old movies there regularly for over 20 years, and never has this happened.

Most people hung around outside for quite a while, many of us discussing the flammable and explosive qualities of nitrate film... Apparently the Stanford Theater is among the maybe five theaters in the world that are certified to show nitrate prints.

O, Geez! How exciting! I LOVE "Separate Tables." What a wonderful movie!

Feraud

Bartender
Run Silent, Run Deep with Clark Cable and Burt Lancaster. An o.k. submarine film from the 50s set in WWII. Cable and Lancaster are captain and executive officer at odds with Gable's obsession for sinking a particular Japanese sub.

Down Three Dark Streets w/Broderick Crawford. This was a good 50s law enforcement film. Similar in it's semi-documentary style to Naked City.
Broderick Crawford is an FBI man who inherits three unsolved cases. One case resulted in the death of a fellow officer. Our FBI man attempts to solves the cases and catch the killer. Nice period location shots.

WH1

Practically Family
The Eagle Has Landed
Directed by John Sturges
Starring Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland and Robert Duvall
based on Jack Higgins best novel with music by Lalo Schifrin a truly pleasurable movie

WH1 said:
The Eagle Has Landed Directed by John Sturges, Starring Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland and Robert Duvall, based on Jack Higgins best novel with music by Lalo Schifrin a truly pleasurable movie
The book is one I tend to re-read every year or two.
I highly reccomend the book also!

WH1

Practically Family
I have a fondness for Jack Higgins work, a guilty pleasure if you will. Probably not great literature but generally well written adventure thrillers, although his work of late has been a bit predictable. One of my favorites is A Game For Heroes. Tough to find but worth the search.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Harvey (1950).

Every time I watch a Jimmy Stewart film, I get a little bit closer to actively seeking a way to become his Zombie Bride.

This was no exception.

I think this may have broken into my top 3 favorite Jimmy Stewart films/ favorite films of all time.

filfoster

One Too Many
Spare Changeling

yobbos1 said:
Changeling. Some great classic clothing in that one. Decent flick too.
Ditto. We saw this Saturday and it was much better than the reviews had prepared us to think. The clothes and cars were wonderful. What a dreadful and mostly true (Google it and you'll get a lot of info) story.

Anyone catch Clint Eastwood wrote the music too? Not bad at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot