Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Well, speaking as a guy, Inara is much higher on the va-va-voom scale than Anna. Certainly Anna has a very striking look, but Inara is stunning.

I'm not really surprised to hear that from the female viewpoint it's a bit different... Vive la differance!

Her wardrobe in Firefly was much better, but I suspect it wasn't the frocks that you were looking at!

I think she's matured into her features really beautifully, and she's going to be 90 and still stunning.

The last thing I watched was Fringe. A new discovery for me - I've only seen the first episode of season 1 but I liked it.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I Dream of Jeannie.
I finally discovered a youtube channel that has most of the episodes! I had been having such trouble finding anywhere to watch them. This one has a 3 ads throughout the whole 25 minute video, but I can deal with that for being able to watch the whole episode with tracking down different parts to make up one.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Have Gun, Will Travel, on Encore Western. The episode was "Genesis," which was the tv equivalent of the origin issue of a a comic book. Boone played two parts, that of a young man who is influenced by an old man who inspires him to become Paladin. Directed by William Conrad, who has a sizeable part in the story. He directs solidly, with a couple of porous close-ups for some dialog delivery which visually reminds me of some of Sergio Leone's screen filling close ups.

Parley Baer had a minor part.

Edward

Bartender
Sherlock, the Beeb's contemporary retelling of the Holmes story. There are to be three 90 minute episodes in the series. While the storyline of the first seems to have been original (though it's been a long time since I rwad the originals, so it may have 'borrowed' from them), and the action has been transplanted to London in the present day, the take on the characters is infinitely closer to the books than was the case in many of the cod-Victorian pipe-and-deerstalker rendings. Much of the dialogue was lifted from Holmes' saying in the books. A lovely touch especially was the sequence where Holmes appeared to be shooting up (an unspoken reference to his Cocaine addiction in the books - as was the drugs bust of 221b...), only for it to become apparent that he has in fact been applying nicoteen patches - "This is a three patch problem.... it's impossible to maintain a smoking habit in London today"...

Excellent. Shame about the lack of a decent hat, though rather that than the damn deerstalker in the City yet again...

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Edward said:
Sherlock, the Beeb's contemporary retelling of the Holmes story. There are to be three 90 minute episodes in the series. While the storyline of the first seems to have been original (though it's been a long time since I rwad the originals, so it may have 'borrowed' from them), and the action has been transplanted to London in the present day, the take on the characters is infinitely closer to the books than was the case in many of the cod-Victorian pipe-and-deerstalker rendings. Much of the dialogue was lifted from Holmes' saying in the books. A lovely touch especially was the sequence where Holmes appeared to be shooting up (an unspoken reference to his Cocaine addiction in the books - as was the drugs bust of 221b...), only for it to become apparent that he has in fact been applying nicoteen patches - "This is a three patch problem.... it's impossible to maintain a smoking habit in London today"...

Excellent. Shame about the lack of a decent hat, though rather that than the damn deerstalker in the City yet again...

I suspect borrowed - the episode (which I haven't watched yet!) is called A Study In Pink, so I was assuming it'd be derived from the original story A Study In Scarlet.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
Her wardrobe in Firefly was much better, but I suspect it wasn't the frocks that you were looking at!

I think she's matured into her features really beautifully, and she's going to be 90 and still stunning.

The last thing I watched was Fringe. A new discovery for me - I've only seen the first episode of season 1 but I liked it.

103077355-thumb-420x679.jpg
Oh Morena, what have you done?

rjenkins

New in Town
The Untouchables

I've just got the first DVD season of 'The Untouchables'.

I used to think this was a brilliant series when I was a kid, and watching it again now does not change that opinion!

It was made in the late 1950s and set in the early 30s.

Here's a couple of screen grabs to set the era, for those who do not remember it:

oldseries1.jpg

oldseries2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
rjenkins said:
I've just got the first DVD season of 'The Untouchables'.

I used to think this was a brilliant series when I was a kid, and watching it again now does not change that opinion!

It was made in the late 1950s and set in the early 30s.

Here's a couple of screen grabs to set the era, for those who do not remember it:

oldseries1.jpg

oldseries2.jpg

Does that bear any relationship to the film of the same name? It's not one with which I am familiar...

Puzzicato said:
I suspect borrowed - the episode (which I haven't watched yet!) is called A Study In Pink, so I was assuming it'd be derived from the original story A Study In Scarlet.

I suspect some of the original plot devices will be woven into the modern setting, yes. I'm curious to see whether they take on ...Baskervilles...

rjenkins

New in Town
Does that bear any relationship to the film of the same name? It's not one with which I am familiar...

The 1987 film 'The Untouchables' was based on the same source material as the original TV series, the autobiography of Eliot Ness (played by Robert Stack in the original TV series and Kevin Costner in the film version).

There is a small amount of background here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The Untouchables (1957 book)

The original TV series ran for four seasons, 1959 - 1963. There was also a remake series around '93 apparently based on the film, though I have not seen any of that.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Star Trek: The Next Generation. You know, the episode with Matt Frewer, a.k.a. Max Headroom? He was iconic during the '80s... Jim Carrey may have been inspired by his style of humor as well.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Edward said:
Sherlock, the Beeb's contemporary retelling of the Holmes story.

Just caught it on iplayer - absolutely cracking!

There were some elements from the books: Rache, for example, and elements of their first meeting. Funnily/sadly enough, I think Dr Watson had been invalided out of Afghanistan in the originals as well.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Puzzicato said:
Oh Morena, what have you done?

An actor's personal taste is rarely what we think it is. :rolleyes:
She might just want a brake and changed her hair color until she has to go back to shooting. She cant change it too much, there's not much hair there.

The dress, I cant explain...

LD

Edward

Bartender
rjenkins said:
The 1987 film 'The Untouchables' was based on the same source material as the original TV series, the autobiography of Eliot Ness (played by Robert Stack in the original TV series and Kevin Costner in the film version).

There is a small amount of background here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The Untouchables (1957 book)

The original TV series ran for four seasons, 1959 - 1963. There was also a remake series around '93 apparently based on the film, though I have not seen any of that.

Aha! Thanks.

Puzzicato said:
Just caught it on iplayer - absolutely cracking!

There were some elements from the books: Rache, for example, and elements of their first meeting. Funnily/sadly enough, I think Dr Watson had been invalided out of Afghanistan in the originals as well.

Plus ca change...

bobmarco

New in Town
Zombie_61 said:
Dexter has become one of my all-time favorite shows. When you say "just started", do you mean season 1 or the reruns of season 4 that are currently airing?

season 1!!!! haha i've literally only just started. but i'm hooked now:D

Panache

A-List Customer
Just discovered Hula.com and watched two original Outer Limits episodes with my 10 year old son "Fun and Games" and "Demon with a Glass Hand"

Good stuff

Cheers

Jamie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav