Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

CopperNY

A-List Customer
season premiere of 'Big Bang Theory'. just an awesome show.

Big Bang Theory and No Reservations (w/ Anthony Bourdain) are my only reasons for cable.....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Death Note, via Netflix.

When I got the first disc in the mail, I read the summary and thought, "Why in the world did I get this?" But then I watched all four episodes in one sitting. It's the best show I've seen in years.

First half of The Next Iron Chef, followed by the season finale of The Glades. For some reason, its style reminds me a lot of Burn Notice: sorta snarky lead gets in hot water with bosses, gets relocated to Florida, and has to make his way along best way he knows how. Personally, I wish A&E and USA would pool resources and do a crossover miniseries, except that I'm not sure how far Longworth's office is from Miami...

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
season premiere of 'Big Bang Theory'. just an awesome show.
CopperNY, I couldn't agree more!

Come to think of it, that show was the latest thing I've watched on TV. As far as DVD boxsets of TV shows, I'll proudly show off my "Millennium" series ( :D ) that I'm going to be re-watching very soon. I miss Frank Black...

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
watching Grand Designs right now. For those who dont know its a weekly documentary that follows people design and build the house of their dreams. Its a real architecture lovers dream :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been gradually working my way thru "The Ultimate Goldbergs," a boxed set of all 71 surviving episodes of Gertrude Berg's landmark 1949-56 series. I've been a fan of the earlier radio version of "The Goldbergs" for a long time, but the television version has been pretty much inaccessible outside of an archival setting for nearly sixty years now, and finally getting a chance to see it is an absolute revelation. There is literally nothing like this program on television today.

It's usually described as a "sitcom" in modern TV histories, but it fits that description in only the very broadest sense of the word. What it really is is a series of intimate one-act character studies, and the technique is absolutely fascinating. All but the final year of the show was performed live, on one set with minimal scene breaks, and the dialogue is delivered in the most naturalistic style I've ever heard in a TV show -- lines overlap, words are slurred or mumbled or thrown over the shoulder, and half the dialogue sounds ad-libbed, even though it was in fact very carefully scripted. The radio show was very much like this as well, and indeed, "The Goldbergs" has to be the most faithful adapation of a radio show that TV ever achieved -- the characters look and act exactly like radio listeners would have expected them to look.

About half the shows in the set come from kinescopes preserved and restored by UCLA, and are presented with original commercials intact. Gertrude Berg herself wrote the ad copy, and delivers it in character as Molly Goldberg, leaning out her tenement window and talking directly to the camera -- and if there's anyone who could get you to drink a cup of Sanka and like it, she could.

1270867511_1.jpg

An extraordinary collection. I don't imagine it's going to sell very well, because the whole style of the program is so utterly alien to modern viewers -- but if you want to see proof that the 1949-55 era was The Golden Age Of Television, this set of shows is as good as example as you'll ever see.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Gertrude Berg herself wrote the ad copy, and delivers it in character as Molly Goldberg, leaning out her tenement window and talking directly to the camera -- and if there's anyone who could get you to drink a cup of Sanka and like it, she could.

[video=youtube;NItH5P7gd6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NItH5P7gd6k[/video]

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
:DHave been catching up on my Doctor Who lately. The seasons starting in 2005. Been watching the previews for the latest Christmas Special with Matt Smith as the Doctor. Can't wait.:D

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80